Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Duggans Brewery "Pop Up"on Queen Street

Discuss Ontario's brewpubs, pubs, beer bars and restaurants here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Duggans Brewery "Pop Up"on Queen Street

Post by El Pinguino »

Was wondering what was going on when I walked by the other week...and saw a tweet from their feed on July 31st saying:
Duggan's Brewery @duggansbrewery · Jul 31
Drop in to our Duggan's pop up tonight at 1346 Queen St W corner of Brock Ave. Open 5pm till late. #craftbeer
There are still growlers and stuff in the windows and seemingly something happening inside...wonder if this is going to turn into an actual brewpub or not?

velovampire
Seasoned Drinker

Post by velovampire »

Heard this is potentially becoming at least semi-permanent...and a record store in the basement!

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

i've heard that Mr Duggan's been looking for a brewery on wQw for the past year.

looking at the legalities behind zoning, new bars opening in Parkdale and the AGCO's fun stuff, i'm curious as to how/why this is a pop-up.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

I guess it's a pop-up bar? There's no way it can be a pop-up store.

Perhaps it's being operated under an SOP, but that would pose its own challenges.

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

It's most likely that they're operating these pop-up nights under the license of Kanji, the Japanese restaurant that was in the space and closed a couple of months ago.

Hoping to find out more soon...

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

Would seem there will be "more" happening if they're keeping a window presence there...as unassuming as it is....definitely would add a new spot to stop by in my area.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

WQW is a bit under developed so any new thing like this would be great.

Amicos is in the current Now magazine! Definitely not the best veal parma but great pizza (and, they say, lasagna.)
In Beerum Veritas

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

So...the "pop up" popped up again tonight...as per the Duggans twitter feed.

I stopped by, ran into a couple of Untapped people and a bartoweler....very much basic" right now. 8 taps, simple food menu of about 8 items too - ribs, salad, fish, mac n cheese...

Was packed when I showed up around 8 and slowly dwindled.

They'll be open again next Thursday and Saturday (not Friday)...with plans for soft launch in September and full, official opening in October. So yes...this is the new location of Duggan's brewery.

Not sure how inventive they'll get...they had a new hefe and a malt liquor on tap, as well as the Duggans IPA, Sorachi and 100 Mile beers....also not sure if 100 mile is a brand that will stick around or not.

Anyhow, very casual, wooden table vibe...more work to be done indoors but I can see this place being similar to Indie Ale House. Promising.

aofe

Post by aofe »

I also was there last night.

El Pinguino pretty much summed it up.

Speaking with some of the staff, they did mention they will be bringing back some of the other Duggans beers in the future on a rotating/seasonal basis.

The space is still under construction, but it's a large space. With more seating in the basement in the future. The kitchen is now open with the menu going to be expanded into a full menu at opening.

Lots of promise. Really good addition to the area. Will certainly be back when it opens.

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

While I suspect most people will be busy with TBW events - those who aren't might be interested to know that Duggan's is doing a couple of "pop-ups" tonight and tomorrow.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Seems that they're open tonight & tomorrow according to Twitter.

aofe

Post by aofe »

I was there again last night. Still plenty of work needs to be done. They are aiming for a late October opening. And will do these "popups" on the weekends as long as it doesn't interfere with the construction.

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

If the Curry Poutine is back, I'll have to make a trip!

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

Derek wrote:If the Curry Poutine is back, I'll have to make a trip!
Oh yeah, that was good. I miss the pulled pork too, I used to get that for lunch all the time.

I'm assuming Jamie Kennedy is going to do his own thing though.

aofe

Post by aofe »

Looks like Jamie Kennedy will not be involved with the brewery after all. Too bad.

http://www.canadianbeernews.com/2014/09 ... s-brewery/