Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Phillips Brewing Private Order - Victoria BC

Connect with beer lovers to make private trades, or facilitate private orders from breweries..

Moderators: Craig, Cass

crushinat0r

Phillips Brewing Private Order - Victoria BC

Post by crushinat0r »

Hey folks,

Is anyone interested in partaking in a private order from Phillips Brewing? I was in BC in December and love the beer from there. This brewery carries some of BCs top rated beer. The Amnesiac IPA and Double Chocolate stand out. I haven't tried the Oatmeal Stout, but I'm confident it's great!

Here's their website:

http://phillipsbeer.com/

I've already contacted the LCBO about a private order and I already have prices for the Amnesiac and Double Chocolate. Those particular beers come in 750ml size and are the usual 3 times the regular price on average that importing through the LCBO costs. Is anyone interested in joining the order? Check out the site, discuss.

J

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

Draught Dodger (!!!), Longboat Double Chocolate Porter and if it's in season the Raspberry Wheat. :D All depending on pricing of course.
lister

flip

Post by flip »

I'd probably be interested in one case, possibly two.

crushinat0r

Post by crushinat0r »

Well I asked specifically about the Amnesiac and Longboat.. I really really wanted their Burley Wine but it's unavailable (I cried a little inside). I can find out about the Rasp and Draught Dodger as well.

In terms of pricing... keep in mind these are double bottles.. it looks like pricing is about $170 for a 12 bottle case. OUCH. I'm not sure if there are any hidden costs or testing fees, lost bottles due to testing and the like. I've never done this before, but love the Phillips brew so figured I'd start the ball rolling and gauge interest.

Perhaps they'll drop the price if we order more cases, these prices were based on single cases. So yeah, once I have a better idea I can follow up with these questions.

Also, if anyone else has experience with this, I'm all ears!

J

Hamilton Brian

Post by Hamilton Brian »

$170 seems awfully steep...I can't remember the Great Divide numbers, but did anything come that close? Good grief...I'd love some Amnesiac, but I don't know if $340 for a full case is worth it. Plus the old lady's already on my case about the amount of beer down in the basement as it is.

crushinat0r

Post by crushinat0r »

...it's great beer.. and these are double bottles!

Did I say it's great beer?

I'm hoping if we get more cases the cost will go down. The quoted prices were for 1 case. Again, after I've gauged interest and figured out the questions I need to ask, I'll go bug them again. :D

J

Andicus
Bar Fly

Post by Andicus »

crushinat0r wrote:In terms of pricing... keep in mind these are double bottles.. it looks like pricing is about $170 for a 12 bottle case.
:o :o :o
Ouch is an understatement. I'd love to try this beer, but not at $14 a bottle.

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Jon Walker »

Yeah, those beers retail for about $4.75 in the BC liquor stores. I've had plenty of the amnesiac in particular and it is a great beer...but at those prices you'd be better off buying a ticket on WestJet and flying out to get some yourself.
I don't always piss in a bottle but when I do...I prefer to call it Dos Equis.

crushinat0r

Post by crushinat0r »

Group trip to Vancouver!?!

Well.. if anyone is interested I'm still willing to put in the effort...

J

kinguy

Post by kinguy »

If the price comes down, I'm interested in the Double Chocolate.

robinvboyer

Post by robinvboyer »

i'm interested. whether the price goes down or not. i'm in! i had the amnesiac at volo, loved every drop!

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

The oatmeal is a little thin, and I didn't like the raspberry.

I can vouch for the Amnesiac, double chocolate, black toque and espresso (I've even had it with breakfast!).

But I'm out there about once a year... so $14 a bottle is WAY too steep.

crushinat0r

Post by crushinat0r »

So you'll be picking us up cases then? While you're up there please PLEASE bottle me of Game Day from Dix.. man I can still taste it. I will be back.

But in the meantime all I got is importing. There seems to be enough interest, so yeah, is there anything else I should be aware of when it comes to private orders? I heard there's a testing fee? They use a beer or two to sample/test? I'm guessing there are taxes on top of the price? Ugh. Any other "gotchas" I should be aware of?

J

robinvboyer

Post by robinvboyer »

well from past experience with the Hair of the Dog private order, i'm pretty sure everyone faxed in a testing exemption sheet along with their order sheet. So i dont see why we couldnt do it with this order either.

crushinat0r

Post by crushinat0r »

I wasn't aware of such a sheet. Such a sweet sweet sheet.

Alright I'll find out about hidden costs, taxes, cost breakdown if I get more cases, etc.

J