Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Westvleteren 12 to split?

Connect with beer lovers to make private trades, or facilitate private orders from breweries..

Moderators: Craig, Cass

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

andrewrg wrote:I've never tried it before. And regardless of how overhyped it may or may not be, I'm happy to pay $30-ish for 2 bottles of a beer that is so highly regarded.
Me too...splitting up a case totally seems like the way to go...I was more contemplating those who buy whole cases and spend almost $400...I think I'd rather spend $40 dollars at Volo to try it than get a price break on 24 bottles.

Still - I'd buy a case a Rochforte 10 or St. Bernies 12 though just to have around.
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

chico

Post by chico »

If you know someone living in montréal, it will be great for you because at the saq you can find now some rochefort 10 at 4,60$ and some st-bernardus abt 12 750ml for 9,15$ :P

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

Just a word of advice to those in on the split:
resist the urge to drink these right away.
cellar them for a while. my personal experience: when they're too young, they ain't nearly worth the hype.

andrewrg
Bar Fly

Post by andrewrg »

I'm likely going to drink one and let the other age for a bit.

Streets

Post by Streets »

I'm not sure about the new shipments, but I believe the bottles I picked up from Peter in the fall were already a year old. From what I could gather from the stamp on the caps anyway.

tyler90

Post by tyler90 »

chico wrote:If you know someone living in montréal, it will be great for you because at the saq you can find now some rochefort 10 at 4,60$ and some st-bernardus abt 12 750ml for 9,15$ :P
Or Ottawa, for that matter. Best of both worlds up here!

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

Streets wrote:I'm not sure about the new shipments, but I believe the bottles I picked up from Peter in the fall were already a year old. From what I could gather from the stamp on the caps anyway.
i assume that, by the time peter gets enough quantity from his person in Belgium (remember: its 1 case per month per license plate), and by the time it gets sent over, tested and passed by the LCBO, its around 1 year old. still, aging won't hurt.

iguenard
Seasoned Drinker

Post by iguenard »

tyler90 wrote:
chico wrote:If you know someone living in montréal, it will be great for you because at the saq you can find now some rochefort 10 at 4,60$ and some st-bernardus abt 12 750ml for 9,15$ :P
Or Ottawa, for that matter. Best of both worlds up here!
+1

Best of three worlds if you consider Ogdensburg at 45min distance, and Watertown at 2h.

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

Hey,

To everyone who was in on the Westy 12:

I sent Esprit an email about the ETA. he said they were short shipped and my order was way down on the list.

Looks like we won't be getting our case this time around.
Sorry.

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

I've given up on Esprit awhile ago.

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

sprague11 wrote:I've given up on Esprit awhile ago.
everyone's entitled to their own opinion.

This is Westy 12, not Bud Lite. I'm shocked to even see it come into Ontario. the fact that its short shipped is understandable.

I've ordered from Esprit twice without any issues. So count me as a satisfied customer.

TheBeeraholic
Bar Fly

Post by TheBeeraholic »

atomeyes wrote: I've ordered from Esprit twice without any issues. So count me as a satisfied customer.
+1 on that, sometimes hard to make initial contact but afterwards no problems. I've picked up 20+ cases from Peter over three seperate visits. No issues after having that first converstaion. And if it takes a bit of effort , its quite rewarding sitting back enjoying whatever you've ordered.

Streets

Post by Streets »

atomeyes wrote:
sprague11 wrote:I've given up on Esprit awhile ago.
everyone's entitled to their own opinion.

This is Westy 12, not Bud Lite. I'm shocked to even see it come into Ontario. the fact that its short shipped is understandable.

I've ordered from Esprit twice without any issues. So count me as a satisfied customer.
Agreed.

Peter isn't always the easiest guy to get in touch with, but once you do, the transactions seem to always go smoothly. Even for Westy 12 ;).

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

i have yet to order from Keep6, but:

Esprit >>>> Roland& Russell.

(yes, i know both read the forum, but there is a reason why I have yet to buy anything from R&R after i've made a number of attempts to buy beer from them over the past 3-4 years)

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

atomeyes wrote:i have yet to order from Keep6, but:

Esprit >>>> Roland& Russell.

(yes, i know both read the forum, but there is a reason why I have yet to buy anything from R&R after i've made a number of attempts to buy beer from them over the past 3-4 years)
I've had the exact opposite experience
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole