Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

LCBO Online Exclusives

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Gleemer Imports wrote:Just a quick explanation...
The Flemmish are a sarcastic lot who joke around quite a bit. The "Mad Bitch" was actually a former employee of theirs. She's depicted on the label. So the name isn't as awful as it appears.
Aging: originally, Kris told people that Dulle Teve is best fresh. We sampled a 10 year old Dulle Teve and it was excellent. It turns more into barleywine with age and the maltiness and sweetness become more pronounced. Excellent fresh or aged.

And Oerbier's a damn treat. Best quad on the market, in our opinion (Achel Extra would be the closest in quality, as would a 4 year old Westy 12, which is a completely different beast)
They are both awesome, and to me they have a density of flavor that I would describe as unusual. Great offerings! Though I've had Special Reserca Oerbier, Arabier, Boskeun and Stille Nacht these two core offerings still stand out & for me are as great as any good bottle of Rochefort or Westvleteren. Fun having them!
In Beerum Veritas

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

Gleemer Imports wrote:De Dolle Oerbier and Dulle Teve, by the single bottle.
Cheers!
just placed an order

Gleemer Imports

Post by Gleemer Imports »

matt7215 wrote:
Gleemer Imports wrote:De Dolle Oerbier and Dulle Teve, by the single bottle.
Cheers!
just placed an order
#noregrets

This will be the last Dulle Teve we'll see for likely a year, so enjoy it while you can.
and thanks for the support!
Visit us at http://www.gleemer.ca or follow Gleemer Imports on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter!

Gleemer Imports

Belgian wrote:
Gleemer Imports wrote:Just a quick explanation...
The Flemmish are a sarcastic lot who joke around quite a bit. The "Mad Bitch" was actually a former employee of theirs. She's depicted on the label. So the name isn't as awful as it appears.
Aging: originally, Kris told people that Dulle Teve is best fresh. We sampled a 10 year old Dulle Teve and it was excellent. It turns more into barleywine with age and the maltiness and sweetness become more pronounced. Excellent fresh or aged.

And Oerbier's a damn treat. Best quad on the market, in our opinion (Achel Extra would be the closest in quality, as would a 4 year old Westy 12, which is a completely different beast)
They are both awesome, and to me they have a density of flavor that I would describe as unusual. Great offerings! Though I've had Special Reserca Oerbier, Arabier, Boskeun and Stille Nacht these two core offerings still stand out & for me are as great as any good bottle of Rochefort or Westvleteren. Fun having them!
Two things about them. 1. the brewer boils this beer for hours (vs 1ish hour for most regular breweries). 2. the yeast strain is different than any other brewery and it lends each of their beer completely different characteristics. Like, Dulle Teve gives the pear and baking spice notes on the nose. Same yeast in Oerbier and you get cola. We have a pretty good relationship with De Dolle and here's hoping that we can get some kegs of these beer in the near future! You definitely will be seeing a lot more Oerbier shortly
Visit us at http://www.gleemer.ca or follow Gleemer Imports on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter!

Gleemer Imports

It's almost gone after 2 hours, but Fantome Hiver is available online by the bottle..

Also almost sold out is Oerbier.

It was not easily searchable, but things are fixed and BFM 225 saison with quince has moved a lot in the last 24 hours.

Good luck!

beerstodiscover
Bar Fly

Post by beerstodiscover »

I ordered a bottle of Fantome HIver and Dark White last night. How do these beers take to cellaring?
Dark White sounds like something I might want to save for Christmas 2020.

Gleemer Imports

beerstodiscover wrote:I ordered a bottle of Fantome HIver and Dark White last night. How do these beers take to cellaring?
Dark White sounds like something I might want to save for Christmas 2020.
First, thanks for the support.
Hiver: personal opinion? it's great now. will probably still have legs down the road. I'd aim for consuming fresh vs in 3-5 years.
Dark White: brewery opinion: it will cellar really nicely. I like how it is now, but the brewer thinks it can really change nicely with time.

Also, if anyone else is looking at ordering Fantome: there may be one more online listing of Dark White in the upcoming weeks. The schedule's unpredictable.

Coronaeus

Post by Coronaeus »

It looks likely the Tilquin BlackBerry and Plum were in stock yesterday. Sold out again now.

My contacts in the States say it is becoming more and more available there as well and even the Pinot variants seem to be all over the place. I’m hoping we get those soon too.

Did Tilquin increase production, or is this just more attention to exporting to North America.

beerstodiscover
Bar Fly

Gleemer Imports wrote: First, thanks for the support...
Thanks for the info, excited to open these.

What about serving temperature for these two? I notice they say to refrigerate 24 hours before opening. Does that mean serve cold?

Also, Dark White says 4.7% abv on the brewery label, with a sticker saying 6.2% abv. What gives?
Last edited by beerstodiscover on Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

I don't want to speak for the importer/brewery, but I think those stickers that are added come from the lab testing the LCBO make you do. If the ABV in the test doesn't match the bottle label, you have to add a sticker.

beerstodiscover
Bar Fly

Craig wrote:I don't want to speak for the importer/brewery, but I think those stickers that are added come from the lab testing the LCBO make you do. If the ABV in the test doesn't match the bottle label, you have to add a sticker.
Yup that's what I thought too, but the discrepancy is more than 30%. Seems unusual.. and I'm not complaining

distr0

Post by distr0 »

IIRC the De Dolle Oerbier and Dulle Teve ABV %'s were way off too, I think they were 'inverted' (the lower % one was actually a higher % than the higher % one )

Gleemer Imports

beerstodiscover wrote:
Gleemer Imports wrote: First, thanks for the support...
Thanks for the info, excited to open these.

What about serving temperature for these two? I notice they say to refrigerate 24 hours before opening. Does that mean serve cold?

Also, Dark White says 4.7% abv on the brewery label, with a sticker saying 6.2% abv. What gives?
If you know the history of Fantome beer, you'll know why we have the "refrigerate for 24 hours" sticker on there :D

Some Fantome are prone to gushing (same with Oerbier). If they're in the fridge, there's less of a chance of gushing upon opening. These batches of Fantome are not gushers and, due to changes at the brewhouse, the days of gushers are hopefully over. You will still have an active beer slowly making its way up the bottle's neck after opening.

We suggest drinking it at "typical" beer temperature. So give it a few (5-10) minutes to warm up after pouring.

The discrepancy in alcohol: welcome to Belgium breweries! Once upon a time, it was likely under 5%. The brewery did not test the beer once fermentation was "complete" (in quotes because that's the reason why there would be gushers). The LCBO tests all new beers and the auxilliary label is likely the accurate ABV

Gleemer Imports

distr0 wrote:IIRC the De Dolle Oerbier and Dulle Teve ABV %'s were way off too, I think they were 'inverted' (the lower % one was actually a higher % than the higher % one )
This was an interesting example.
That batch of Oerbier was an anomaly. Kris is an incredibly talented brewer. That batch, for reasons unknown, finished at a higher ABV than normal. In Belgium, they don't adjust the labels to indicate that ABV. They just sell as is.

While we're talking about Oerbier, a new batch is heading to LCBO shelves as we speak. It should start appearing in LCBOs across Ontario as early as next week. $5.70/bottle.
:D :D

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Gleemer Imports wrote:That batch of Oerbier was an anomaly... finished at a higher ABV than normal. In Belgium, they don't adjust the labels to indicate that ABV. They just sell as is.
Good to hear Oerbier is coming to :LC shelves! Wow.

This online order:
Oerbier original description of ABV on Ratebeer 7.5%, official 9.0%, actual bottling 10.6%

Dulle Teve 10º official ABV 10.0, actual bottling 11.9%
In Beerum Veritas