Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

LCBO Winter Seasonal Craft Beer Release 19/20

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Provost Drunk

Post by Provost Drunk »

spinrsx wrote:I hear we are getting Cigar City Marshal Zhukov..
Edited the list below thanks to JaseWescott, a lot of repeats from previous years as always:
ONTARIO CRAFT BEERS

TBD - King Kung Imperial Stout - 473mL

I don't think that I ever saw this on shelves and it's never been listed online to my knowledge. Didn't have a SKU even when news of the release broke so maybe something happened?

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

Provost Drunk wrote:
spinrsx wrote:I hear we are getting Cigar City Marshal Zhukov..
Edited the list below thanks to JaseWescott, a lot of repeats from previous years as always:
ONTARIO CRAFT BEERS

TBD - King Kung Imperial Stout - 473mL

I don't think that I ever saw this on shelves and it's never been listed online to my knowledge. Didn't have a SKU even when news of the release broke so maybe something happened?
I saw this on the shelves in town(Guelph) about a week ago.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Provost Drunk wrote:Marshal Zhukov is available online again. I jumped on it after missing out earlier. I'd assume that the lone bottle that Belgian found at Summerhill was a return, but this was sold out a month or so ago and now in stock again so maybe a new shipment did arrive?
There were a few cases that seemed to be moving fast. I just wanted to try one and pass on the word.
In Beerum Veritas

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

Belgian wrote:
Provost Drunk wrote:Marshal Zhukov is available online again. I jumped on it after missing out earlier. I'd assume that the lone bottle that Belgian found at Summerhill was a return, but this was sold out a month or so ago and now in stock again so maybe a new shipment did arrive?
There were a few cases that seemed to be moving fast. I just wanted to try one and pass on the word.
Nice beer. Not worth the $$ imo.
untappd/instacrap/facebitch/snapitychat/etc: @matttthewgeorge

portwood

Post by portwood »

MatttthewGeorge wrote:Nice beer. Not worth the $$ imo.
+1 (not worth $20, even for 650Ml)
@markhamwhisky

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

portwood wrote:
I was wondering at the high price, but I like it. Heavily built. The flavors are dense and carry on for a loooong time... it's a good hybrid of UK traditional and USA style RIS, with some nice leathery tones setting off the ample richness.

There are many good RIS though.
In Beerum Veritas

Provost Drunk

Post by Provost Drunk »

Belgian wrote:
portwood wrote:
I was wondering at the high price, but I like it. Heavily built. The flavors are dense and carry on for a loooong time... it's a good hybrid of UK traditional and USA style RIS, with some nice leathery tones setting off the ample richness.

To each their own, and $20 is steep, but I'm pretty price inelastic when it comes to things that I really like. I've only had this beer once before, but I remember it being pretty special. RIS is my favourite style though. There are other styles for which a $20 price tag would make me balk.

Curious what other good non-barrel aged, non-adjunct laden RIS are available right now. Yeti leans too far to the hoppy American interpretation for me. I miss having Ten Fidy at the LCBO. Rat Queen is probably the best Ontario brewed RIS that I've tried.

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

Provost Drunk wrote:
Belgian wrote:
portwood wrote: +1 (not worth $20, even for 650Ml)

To each their own, and $20 is steep, but I'm pretty price inelastic when it comes to things that I really like. I've only had this beer once before, but I remember it being pretty special. RIS is my favourite style though. There are other styles for which a $20 price tag would make me balk.

Curious what other good non-barrel aged, non-adjunct laden RIS are available right now. Yeti leans too far to the hoppy American interpretation for me. I miss having Ten Fidy at the LCBO. Rat Queen is probably the best Ontario brewed RIS that I've tried.
Agree with your assessment Belgian: flavour was great, but many good RIS. And at less cash.

Bourbon barrel RIS is my favourite style, but you don’t get there without a good RIS base. Big fan of Ten Fidy, Yeti, Rat Queen, plus I like Tempest, Until Proven Guilty, The Loneliness... Willabald has a non-barrel, non-adjunct RIS now that I’ve heard good things about. None of these beers are $20 per 650ml though.
untappd/instacrap/facebitch/snapitychat/etc: @matttthewgeorge

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

MatttthewGeorge wrote:Agree with your assessment Belgian: flavour was great, but many good RIS. And at less cash.
... Willabald has a non-barrel, non-adjunct RIS now that I’ve heard good things about. None of these beers are $20 per 650ml though.
There's cheaper than Zhukov, no argument but I still think it's worth it. It's probably a case where the brewery can make exactly the proud Flagship beer it wants to, in a limited quantity and then maybe charge enough to not really care if they could sell more.
I've had probably 100 or so RIS and this one stands out as having some of the best traits of top picks. Imperial Stouts can sometime seem be so much work to drink and this one is kind of smooth and big while also very complex, such a pleasure. Cheap or not!

Disclaimer: I'm also a wine guy, so in that world a 30% increase in quality for a 80% increase in price is… not terrible, actual pretty normal if you care about the uniqueness of the experience and all that Jazz. Value like taste is subjective righ?
In Beerum Veritas

beerstodiscover
Bar Fly

Post by beerstodiscover »

I debated keeping this to myself until I can make it back to the store: Marshal Zhukov has been reduced to $15 (even online), but it scans for a rock-bottom $10 at Summerhill LCBO. Yeti is marked down to $9 at the same store.

I love having big bottles of big stouts on hand.

Update: looks like Marshal Zhukov stock has dwindled at Sumemrhill
Last edited by beerstodiscover on Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

Belgian wrote:
portwood wrote: +1 (not worth $20, even for 650Ml)

Curious what other good non-barrel aged, non-adjunct laden RIS are available right now. Yeti leans too far to the hoppy American interpretation for me. I miss having Ten Fidy at the LCBO. Rat Queen is probably the best Ontario brewed RIS that I've tried.[/quote]

Agree with your assessment Belgian: flavour was great, but many good RIS. And at less cash.

Bourbon barrel RIS is my favourite style, but you don’t get there without a good RIS base. Big fan of Ten Fidy, Yeti, Rat Queen, plus I like Tempest, Until Proven Guilty, The Loneliness... Willabald has a non-barrel, non-adjunct RIS now that I’ve heard good things about. None of these beers are $20 per 650ml though.[/quote]

I just had that Willibald stout the other day, quite nice but there was some heat to it. Not in the same (local)conversation as The Loneliness or Rat Queen IMO. Tasty, none the less

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

I grabbed a few at $14.95, good enough deal for me thanks!

$10.00 is absurdly cheap and the lowest discount I may have ever seen at the LCBO. As though the mere presence of so much Zhukov at Summerhill caused a furrowed brow so the management went, 'away, Zhukov! Just f#%* off!' :D Too bad there's zero store coordination (or accountability.) $14.95 though competes with the best BBARIS Ontario offerings.

I also grabbed the Cascade Rose City Sour for a few bucks off, 20% honestly their Vitis Noble (at 25% off) is one of the finest iterations of Cascade wild soured ales. I didn't not care nearly as much for the Sang Royal which is also on clearout but it's still fine and that's my personal taste.

Anyone try the Midnight Bramble, it looks promising and I enjoy Cascade beers although some can be a bit same-y.
In Beerum Veritas

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

Still no winter 2020 release info?

Gleemer Imports

Post by Gleemer Imports »

spinrsx wrote:Still no winter 2020 release info?
Stille Nacht is coming to shelves in late December/early January
Visit us at http://www.gleemer.ca or follow Gleemer Imports on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter!