Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

And this is why...

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

mintjellie
Seasoned Drinker

Post by mintjellie »

I think LCBO privatization is about creating opportunities for small business, and not about beer.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

mintjellie wrote:I think LCBO privatization is about creating opportunities for small business, and not about beer.

That makes sense. Most of the folks on here cry foul and it comes of as "me me me, my my my, I want MY beer". The argument of creating opportunities for small business makes the most sense.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

mintjellie
Seasoned Drinker

Post by mintjellie »

SteelbackGuy wrote:
mintjellie wrote:I think LCBO privatization is about creating opportunities for small business, and not about beer.

That makes sense. Most of the folks on here cry foul and it comes of as "me me me, my my my, I want MY beer". The argument of creating opportunities for small business makes the most sense.
It seems like such a small thing, but any time the government runs a business, it takes the opportunity to run that kind of business away from the public. It denies an opportunity to businesses both large and small. Privatization could be an opportunity for entrepreneurial minded people to start specialty boutiques dealing in niche products. It can also mean opportunity for gas station and convenience store operators, both independents and franchisees, to introduce another revenue stream to their businesses. On an even larger scale, there are opportunities for big supermarket and box store chains.

If private off-licence sales ever go through, the biggest push for it will likely come from the gas, convenience, and grocery store lobby groups.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

mintjellie wrote:
SteelbackGuy wrote:

It seems like such a small thing, but any time the government runs a business, it takes the opportunity to run that kind of business away from the public. It denies an opportunity to businesses both large and small. Privatization could be an opportunity for entrepreneurial minded people to start specialty boutiques dealing in niche products. It can also mean opportunity for gas station and convenience store operators, both independents and franchisees, to introduce another revenue stream to their businesses. On an even larger scale, there are opportunities for big supermarket and box store chains.

If private off-licence sales ever go through, the biggest push for it will likely come from the gas, convenience, and grocery store lobby groups.

You're absolutely right, and what you say makes sense. I'm just not much of a capitalist so I don't particularly care.

As for the lobby groups, one of the biggest is the Korean Business Persons Association.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

Ale's What Cures Ya
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Ale's What Cures Ya »

Cheers to that. Only a moron would think that pushing for privately owned sales is a simple matter of "oh I want my beer!"

Government bureaucracies like the LCBO and public health care are nothing but bloated, wasteful institutions that take far more from the people than need be and deliver far less than what they should. No small business owner should be deprived the opportunity to sell products proven to be safe if he so chooses. The government should concern itself with things like infrastructure, environmental concerns and allowing, through the passing of sensible laws, an atmosphere that allows private citizens to thrive both financially and emotionally and ensures the protection of their borders and safety.

It's unfortunate that most people that suckle at the government's alcohol dispensing teat do not realize what a useless and antiquated system it is, and even more unfortunate that these same people don't realize that it is a glaringly obvious everyday example of the government wasting their money.

And just for the record, OCB Only stores are a terrible idea.

mintjellie
Seasoned Drinker

Post by mintjellie »

SteelbackGuy wrote:
mintjellie wrote:
SteelbackGuy wrote:

You're absolutely right, and what you say makes sense. I'm just not much of a capitalist so I don't particularly care.

As for the lobby groups, one of the biggest is the Korean Business Persons Association.
There's also the Ontario Convenience Store Association.