New Arrivals at LCBO & TBS

This forum is for discussing current and upcoming LCBO, Beer Store and Grocery Store releases and policies.

Moderators: GregClow, Cass

chingobingo
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2020 1:55 pm

Re: New Arrivals at LCBO & TBS

Postby chingobingo » Wed Dec 16, 2020 2:05 pm

seangm wrote:
beerstodiscover wrote:
seangm wrote:So I heard through the grapevine that Orval has shown up in the LCBO warehouse, but it's not listed yet.


Don't let me down grapevine!

I have a few bottles cellared, bottled around 2013-2016. Though I suspect they are past their prime, It would be interesting to compare them to a new batch. I recall previous shipments to the LCBO would arrive with 8-10 months after bottling. I've always wanted to try super fresh Orval.


Yea if we get it really fresh that'd be icing on the cake. I've had a bottle up to 4 years old and it was still great, taking on some almost sherry-like notes. I think they give it 5 years BB so I imagine the 2013s still have some life in them.

I really hope what I heard pans out otherwise I owe everyone here an apology!


Hey guys, so I am a long time lurker on these forums and an LCBO employee who manages the beer program at a high volume LCBO in Toronto.

Orval is indeed coming. Orval has been designated as a "NEW ITEM" for close to a year, in fact. This is typically the case for items coming from out of the country (Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA has been designated as such for OVER A YEAR NOW).

From the time an item gets a listing assigned, to the time a product actually arrives in warehouses, and then again to the time the listing actually goes live for stores to then order the product or have it forced to them, can be an excruciatingly long time.
seangm
Posts: 345
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:44 pm

Re: New Arrivals at LCBO & TBS

Postby seangm » Wed Dec 16, 2020 2:54 pm

chingobingo wrote:Hey guys, so I am a long time lurker on these forums and an LCBO employee who manages the beer program at a high volume LCBO in Toronto.

Orval is indeed coming. Orval has been designated as a "NEW ITEM" for close to a year, in fact. This is typically the case for items coming from out of the country (Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA has been designated as such for OVER A YEAR NOW).

From the time an item gets a listing assigned, to the time a product actually arrives in warehouses, and then again to the time the listing actually goes live for stores to then order the product or have it forced to them, can be an excruciatingly long time.


This news almost makes up for the nightmare that has been 2020 lol. Excruciating is right, but hopefully the wait is almost over.

Thanks for the formal confirmation!
User avatar
Belgian
Bar Towel Legend
Posts: 10014
Joined: Sun Jul 04, 2004 6:15 pm
Location: Earth

Re: New Arrivals at LCBO & TBS

Postby Belgian » Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:02 pm

chingobingo wrote:... and then again to the time the listing actually goes live for stores to then order the product or have it forced to them, can be an excruciatingly long time.

Some stores are great. It's down to individual staff to care that beer exists (or to deny it.)
In Beerum Veritas
chingobingo
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2020 1:55 pm

Re: New Arrivals at LCBO & TBS

Postby chingobingo » Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:06 pm

Belgian wrote:
chingobingo wrote:... and then again to the time the listing actually goes live for stores to then order the product or have it forced to them, can be an excruciatingly long time.

Some stores are great. It's down to individual staff to care that beer exists (or to deny it.)


While this is true and I am given a lot of leeway with inventory management, head office will also force a product onto your store if they believe it will do well at that location. Whether it actually does well or not is a different story altogether.
User avatar
Belgian
Bar Towel Legend
Posts: 10014
Joined: Sun Jul 04, 2004 6:15 pm
Location: Earth

Re: New Arrivals at LCBO & TBS

Postby Belgian » Fri Dec 18, 2020 3:29 pm

chingobingo wrote:
Belgian wrote:... some stores are great. It's down to individual staff to care that beer exists (or to deny it.)

While this is true and I am given a lot of leeway with inventory management, head office will also force a product onto your store if they believe it will do well at that location. Whether it actually does well or not is a different story altogether.

I guess a stock item has to exist in order to sell yet also must sell to be allowed to remain in stock; selling it can take a little time for enough people to catch on, yet if too little time is allowed this creates a 'positive feedback loop' of perpetually undervaluing products and excluding them. Products may never firmly establish their potential niche eg. in the way Rochefort finally did.

This is why we do appreciate stores/individuals that listen to the last 50 people who asked about one or another item & treat this data as significant. If it's not in-store policy, it can't be bad for the organization.
In Beerum Veritas
Roland + Russell
Posts: 428
Joined: Sun Jan 28, 2007 3:45 pm
Location: Burlington, ON.
Contact:

Re: Belgian Beer Discovery Box

Postby Roland + Russell » Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:34 am

Thank you for the kind words Doug. We don't represent Orval, but do share your sentiments about this beer! Merry Christmas and have a Happy, Healthy, New Year!

DougShoemaker wrote:Roland & Russell, Thank You for bringing in this fantastic offering. Superb selection. I've appreciated the memorable beers You've brought us in the past. As BakaGaijin requested the Orval I would also love seeing this distinctive Trappist return if possible please.

Thanks again, all the best wishes for the Holiday Season. Cheers, Doug Shoemaker
Roland + Russell
www.rolandandrussell.com
twitter.com/RolandRussell
seangm
Posts: 345
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:44 pm

Re: New Arrivals at LCBO & TBS

Postby seangm » Sun Dec 27, 2020 4:25 pm

Orval now listed. No stock available but hopefully this means it'll be hitting stores any day now.

https://www.lcbo.com/webapp/wcs/stores/ ... tId=589001
User avatar
dale cannon
Posts: 303
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:46 am

Re: New Arrivals at LCBO & TBS

Postby dale cannon » Mon Dec 28, 2020 5:30 pm

In addition to the 12yo I’ve also seen the Ola Dubh 18yo on shelves, but not listed.
That's the way she goes. Sometimes she goes, sometimes it doesn't. She didn't go. That's the way she goes.
User avatar
jeremyg
Posts: 313
Joined: Wed May 06, 2015 3:57 pm

Re: New Arrivals at LCBO & TBS

Postby jeremyg » Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:35 pm

incredible news about orval. i was just telling a buddy how much i'd love to have it back.
User avatar
Belgian
Bar Towel Legend
Posts: 10014
Joined: Sun Jul 04, 2004 6:15 pm
Location: Earth

Orval 2021 up from $3.55 to $4.95

Postby Belgian » Fri Jan 01, 2021 5:34 pm

seangm wrote:Orval now listed. No stock available but hopefully this means it'll be hitting stores any day now...


Happy to see Orval back, albeit with a completely fair price update from a few years ago.

I had my last Dupont Vielle Provision Saison the other night and decided this brew (or any Saison) + the Orval, one should just always have a stock of... I'll be getting a 12-pack, despite the extra $17 cost.
In Beerum Veritas
beerstodiscover
Bar Fly
Posts: 611
Joined: Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:16 pm
Contact:

Re: New Arrivals at LCBO & TBS

Postby beerstodiscover » Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:12 am

Orval is in stock at one LCBO in Ottawa. It's happening! Can anyone confirm bottling date?
seangm
Posts: 345
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:44 pm

Re: Orval 2021 up from $3.55 to $4.95

Postby seangm » Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:24 am

Belgian wrote:
seangm wrote:Orval now listed. No stock available but hopefully this means it'll be hitting stores any day now...


Happy to see Orval back, albeit with a completely fair price update from a few years ago.

I had my last Dupont Vielle Provision Saison the other night and decided this brew (or any Saison) + the Orval, one should just always have a stock of... I'll be getting a 12-pack, despite the extra $17 cost.


Same here, I'll be grabbing 12 to weather another Orval drought. It would be wonderful if the LCBO started bringing it in more regularly again but I'm not holding my breath.
beerstodiscover
Bar Fly
Posts: 611
Joined: Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:16 pm
Contact:

Re: New Arrivals at LCBO & TBS

Postby beerstodiscover » Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:01 am

I picked up Orval, bottled late Sept 2020. Pretty fresh!

Also FYI LCBO has stopped taking any returns during lockdown. I had planned to return some rather stale beer xmas gifts but was told by the clerk to to hold on to them until lockdown ends... could be a while.
sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly
Posts: 809
Joined: Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:55 am
Location: Guelph

Re: New Arrivals at LCBO & TBS

Postby sofakingdrunk » Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:18 am

beerstodiscover wrote:I picked up Orval, bottled late Sept 2020. Pretty fresh!

Also FYI LCBO has stopped taking any returns during lockdown. I had planned to return some rather stale beer xmas gifts but was told by the clerk to to hold on to them until lockdown ends... could be a while.



I see that Orval has been listed in Guelph now :).
Unfortunate about returns as I’ve got a bottle of gin to return that would have gotten me a dozen or so bottles.
BakaGaijin
Posts: 470
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:41 pm
Location: Burlington

Re: New Arrivals at LCBO & TBS

Postby BakaGaijin » Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:51 am

Cleaned out an LCBO store of Orval (they only had 12). Also noticed Prairie Bible Belt and Oh, Fudge on the shelf.

Return to “LCBO, Beer Store and Grocery Stores”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron