Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Mikkeller.....................in Alberta

Discuss beer travel and regional information, including the best bars and places to check out around in Canada and around the world, and other chat that is not specific to Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Mikkeller.....................in Alberta

Post by Torontoblue »

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, look what's just arrived in Alberta:

Mikkeller Beer Geek Breakfast Stout
Mikkeller Beer Geek Brunch Weasel
Mikkeller 10
Mikkeller Black Islay Edition (Blue Wax
Mikkeller Funky (E) (Fung' Ke E'st R)
Mikkeller Drinkin' The Sun 10
Mikkeller Barrel Aged 1000 Ibu
Mikkeller Mikkel & Menno
Mikkeller Tyttebaer Wild Ale
Mikkeller Frelser Dopplebock

Gonna be an expensive day at the liquor store :P

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

Torontoblue wrote: Gonna be an expensive day at the liquor store :P
So what are the prices like?

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

Derek wrote:
Torontoblue wrote: Gonna be an expensive day at the liquor store :P
So what are the prices like?
Can't see the prices yet, but going on past products that have been in the past few weeks, the retail will be between $7.50 to $14.99.

Beer Geek Weasel I'm expecting to be about $7.50; Black Islay around $9.00 and the large Dopplebock about $14.99. But those prices also depend on where you buy them here in Edmonton. Prices can sway by as much as $2.00 depending on the liquor store.

boney
Seasoned Drinker

Post by boney »

Daaaaaaamn. I am glad my wife is away this weekend so I can hide all the beer I am going to buy. She would probably kill me if she knew how much money I am going to drop. However, some lucky Ontario relatives are going to have a good Christmas this year.

Loved the Black Islay I had earlier this year and can't wait for more. Great suprise to see so much comming in. We really get spoiled in Alberta.......it almost makes up for having to live here. Almost :wink:

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

boney wrote:Daaaaaaamn. I am glad my wife is away this weekend so I can hide all the beer I am going to buy. She would probably kill me if she knew how much money I am going to drop. However, some lucky Ontario relatives are going to have a good Christmas this year.

Loved the Black Islay I had earlier this year and can't wait for more. Great suprise to see so much comming in. We really get spoiled in Alberta.......it almost makes up for having to live here. Almost :wink:
It's not a bad place to live. Edmonton is a lot nicer than people make it out to be; generally people who have NEVER been!!!

I noticed that the Ola Dubh 18 Year Old is in the market too!!!

boney
Seasoned Drinker

Post by boney »

Torontoblue wrote:
boney wrote:Daaaaaaamn. I am glad my wife is away this weekend so I can hide all the beer I am going to buy. She would probably kill me if she knew how much money I am going to drop. However, some lucky Ontario relatives are going to have a good Christmas this year.

It's not a bad place to live. Edmonton is a lot nicer than people make it out to be; generally people who have NEVER been!!!

I have a love-hate relationship with Alberta. I grew up in Calgary and moved back about a year ago. All the things I love about the place (Mountains) seem sweeter, while all the stuff I hate (myopic redneckery) irritates me so much more.

We should see Ola Dubh 40 here a little before or around Christmas, and maybe the 30, to go with the 12 and 18. Wouldn't that make for an interesting horizontal tasting?

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

boney wrote:
Torontoblue wrote:

I have a love-hate relationship with Alberta. I grew up in Calgary and moved back about a year ago. All the things I love about the place (Mountains) seem sweeter, while all the stuff I hate (myopic redneckery) irritates me so much more.

We should see Ola Dubh 40 here a little before or around Christmas, and maybe the 30, to go with the 12 and 18. Wouldn't that make for an interesting horizontal tasting?
Already got the 12, 30 & 40, so grabbing the 18 will do nicely. Might load up on the 12 too, just for future use.

The Mikkeller stuff wasn't delivered to the store; hopefully next week now :-(

Haven't really come across too many 'rednecks' up here, guess I need to get out more ;-)

boney
Seasoned Drinker

Post by boney »

Torontoblue wrote:
boney wrote:
Torontoblue wrote: It's not a bad place to live. Edmonton is a lot nicer than people make it out to be; generally people who have NEVER been!!!

Already got the 12, 30 & 40, so grabbing the 18 will do nicely. Might load up on the 12 too, just for future use.

The Mikkeller stuff wasn't delivered to the store; hopefully next week now :-(

Haven't really come across too many 'rednecks' up here, guess I need to get out more ;-)
Too bad. I was dreaming of some Weasel for Sunday Brunch. Next week then.

Edmonton always had a different sensibility compared to Calgary, IMO, so the paucity of rednecks is not surprising. We keep them all penned up down here in the Stampeed grounds and only release them when they need someone to quote in the National Post.

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

I guess we're more "blue collar" and "down to earth" oop North. Though I do see a fair few cowboy hats bobbing around :evil:

saints_gambit
Bar Fly

Post by saints_gambit »

Torontoblue wrote:I guess we're more "blue collar" and "down to earth" oop North. Though I do see a fair few cowboy hats bobbing around :evil:
You could probably get one custom sized for your gigantic noggin. :)
saintjohnswort.ca

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

saints_gambit wrote:
Torontoblue wrote:I guess we're more "blue collar" and "down to earth" oop North. Though I do see a fair few cowboy hats bobbing around :evil:
You could probably get one custom sized for your gigantic noggin. :)
I'd block out the sun if I ever got a hat to fit me :wink:

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

Wherever I go in Calgary, I'm usually the only person wearing a cowboy hat...

I've always thought of Calgary as being full of plastic people trying to show off how cool they are... that was until I met the homebrewers there, what a great bunch of people, with no big-city attitude at all.

Edmonton is very unpretentious, and people aren't in as big a rush, although hwy 2 between Cgy-Edm is frickin insane.

pootz
Beer Superstar

Post by pootz »

Calgary leads the west in new restaurant openings. I was always happy to eat out in Cow town, the diversity of cuisine is awesome. Best Dim Sum east of Van. :wink:

Calgary is cosmo , big diversity of people and attitudes. Rednecks tend to populate trailer parks in the bald ass grass. Edmonchuck is a farmer town with crappy hockey and football teams. Cow town runs Alberta's prosperity and the culture is primarily upscale.

BTW save some of that Mikk 1000 IBU to take the lime scale off your sink.
Aventinus rules!

boney
Seasoned Drinker

Post by boney »

Got the Black Islay and 1000 IBU at Kensington Wine Market today. None of the others were in, but I hear the Breakfast and Brunch Weasel are or will be at other stores this weekend.

Prices...could be some of the most expensive beers in Canada

Black Islay, 375ml: $17.49
Barrel Aged 1000 IBU, 375ml: $16.09

Unexpectedly, a 5 mix pack from Raasted Bryghus also showed up today. No branded glass unfortuantely.

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

boney wrote:Got the Black Islay and 1000 IBU at Kensington Wine Market today. None of the others were in, but I hear the Breakfast and Brunch Weasel are or will be at other stores this weekend.

Prices...could be some of the most expensive beers in Canada

Black Islay, 375ml: $17.49
Barrel Aged 1000 IBU, 375ml: $16.09

Unexpectedly, a 5 mix pack from Raasted Bryghus also showed up today. No branded glass unfortuantely.
That pricing is way out of wack of the other Mikkeller stuff that's in; almost double, in fact.

Someone on BA nabbed some of the Breakfast & Brunch earlier in the week down in Calgary.

Noticed the Raasted earlier last week. Some really good stuff been in the past few weeks.