Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Cascadian Dark Ale

Discuss beer travel and regional information, including the best bars and places to check out around in Canada and around the world, and other chat that is not specific to Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Derek
Beer Superstar

Cascadian Dark Ale

Post by Derek »

CDA, Black IPA, India Dark Ale or American Style Indian Black Ale?

Whatever you call it, what do you think?

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

i think its a style that been around for a long time but for some reason is just now gaining popularity.

also, its a style ill drink a lot of once netherwold hits lcbo shelves

velovampire
Seasoned Drinker

Post by velovampire »

matt7215 wrote:i think its a style that been around for a long time but for some reason is just now gaining popularity.

also, its a style ill drink a lot of once netherwold hits lcbo shelves
What he said.

Cale
Bar Fly

Post by Cale »

It's a style I have yet to be exposed to, but I'm looking forward to trying both the Garrison Black IPA when my order comes in, and Netherworld CDA when it hits shelves.

Despite being just as much of a hop-head as I am a... malt-mouth?.. I'm not sure how I will feel about it. I've had a few hoppy stouts that kind of rubbed me the wrong way, usually due to an overtly dry and astringent finish. Although I'm not really anticipating that with these Cascadian Pale Black American-India Dark Ales.

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

Absolutely Matt!

I like the analogy that one writer made with Grunge... it had been around for a while, but all of a sudden Nirvana was the coolest thing to come out of Seattle.

'Cascadian' homebrewers were supposedly making it in the 80's. I haven't tried Rogue's Mogul Madness, but it is said to be in this style and dates back to 1991. I'll have to find a bottle to see what it's like.

There's definitely variations on this evolving style. Some have a malty backbone while some simply look dark, some are a bit roasty while some use special carafa to reduce that 'astringent' bite. But they all exude Pacific Northwest hops!

The_Jester
Bar Fly

Post by The_Jester »

Love ST Iniquity and Stone Self-Righteous. I had a good one at DDC last summer, although I don't recall what it was called. Church-Key has made a good one for a little while now. And I'm looking forward to trying the FM and Garrison versions. This is definitely a category unto itself. I believe that Ratebeer is now using the term "Black IPA," although this may be a recent development?
"The time for delay is over, we need to address the threat of climate change activism immediately if we hope to protect the future prosperity of our children’s employers." Scott Vrooman

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

I'm interested to see how the Netherworld turns out, as its a beer I've not had since last year's cask days at Volo. I think its taken a considerably hoppier direction since then, which should align it nicely with this style.

I saw that Beer Advocate recently added Cascadian Dark Ale as a style, bumping the 'official' total of beer styles to 104. How many of these do we have in Canada? Off the top of my head I can think of:

Flying Monkeys Netherworld
Phillips Black Toque
Garrison Black IPA
Phillips Skookum
DDC Penombre
Church Key Black IPA

Any others?

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

Bobsy wrote:Phillips Black Toque
Phillips Skookum
Same beer:
http://www.canadianbeernews.com/2010/03 ... ack-toque/

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

Bobsy wrote:I'm interested to see how the Netherworld turns out, as its a beer I've not had since last year's cask days at Volo. I think its taken a considerably hoppier direction since then, which should align it nicely with this style.

I saw that Beer Advocate recently added Cascadian Dark Ale as a style, bumping the 'official' total of beer styles to 104. How many of these do we have in Canada? Off the top of my head I can think of:

Flying Monkeys Netherworld
Phillips Black Toque
Garrison Black IPA
Phillips Skookum
DDC Penombre
Church Key Black IPA

Any others?
Benelux Strato
Cannery Wildfire I.P.A.
Durham Black Eye
Half Pints Black Scrapper IPA
L’Alchimiste India Dark Ale

boney
Seasoned Drinker

Post by boney »

-Alley Kat 15th Anniversary Cascadian Dark Ale
-Grizzly Paw Unity Brew (Unity Brew #1)

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

The Dieu du Ciel Penombre is great... they also have the Pionnière, which I haven't tried.

Yaletown has a seasonal CDA, but unfortunately they still had a Pilsner on when I was in last week.

Howe Sound Gathering Storm CDA is tap-only. I haven't tried it.

Another one-off I missed: BarVolo Biergotter V

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

I don't know how I forget all these amazing beers (other than the black, which the missus drank behind my back on moving day). Seems like we canucks do this style really well!

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

Another one-off...

Amsterdam Brewing Co.
Tomorrow. One day only. "Black Friday" - Our Cascadian Dark Ale will be available at C'est What and Burger Bar. This one-off Black I.P.A won't be around for long so get it while it's here!

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

Derek wrote:Another one-off...

Amsterdam Brewing Co.
Tomorrow. One day only. "Black Friday" - Our Cascadian Dark Ale will be available at C'est What and Burger Bar. This one-off Black I.P.A won't be around for long so get it while it's here!
Nice, had a little taste of this during Learn2Brew event. Shame I'm heading out of town this weekend. Be nice to do a head to head against Netherworld.
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

And another...

Red Racer Beer
"There will be a one-off cask of our Cascadian Dark Ale, dry-hopped with Warrior hops, at the Sunset Grill tonight at 7:00pm. Pop by and try it!"