Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

McKinnon Bros crosscut pale ale

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

mgmoney

McKinnon Bros crosscut pale ale

Post by mgmoney »

Picked this up to try it as always up to support a new brewer. Well...this was underwhelming at best. No head retention, no lacing, no real malt backbone or hoppy notes. Tasted like an extract beer kit pale ale...
Everytime I learn something new I forget something old...like that time I learned to make wine and then forgot how to drive...

Masterplan
Bar Fly

Post by Masterplan »

Yep, crosscut is very underwhelming. 8 Man is at best 'drinkable', and I haven't tried their peppermint stout.

The head brewer was trained in the UK, and they seem to lean towards flatter maltier styles. IMO, they need to up the hops in a big way.

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

mgmoney wrote:Picked this up to try it as always up to support a new brewer. Well...this was underwhelming at best. No head retention, no lacing, no real malt backbone or hoppy notes. Tasted like an extract beer kit pale ale...
My thoughts as well after trying it on tap at Goodlake. Reminded me of a flat Trafalgar Paddy's Irish Red, which is not good considering they're going for an English Pale Ale.
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott