Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Smuttynose Robust Porter

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

esprit
Seasoned Drinker

Post by esprit »

As the Smuttynose is really the only new product in the Stouts and Porters promotion at the LCBO, I was hoping to get some feedback from members regarding what they think of this product. Last year it was selected both as North-East regional and National Champion Porter at the U.S. Beer Tasting Championships. What do you guys think?

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Jon Walker »

I picked up a six of it last week in the Manulife Center LCBO on Bloor (first place I've seen it). The price was reasonable ($13.60 I think) and I must say I like the labelling with the strong man and circus lady perched on his shoulder (reminded me of the labelling of Jones's Soda in Vancouver).

As for the beer, I thought it was a very complex and satisfying porter with roasted flavours that tasted to me like chocolate, licorice, molasses and coffee browned together in the oven. A really broad palette of tastes with a lingering bitter finish. It certainly beat out the two other porters I bought last week; Old Growler and Smith's Taddy Porter. Growler was really underwhelming by comparison and the taddy, while flavorful, seemed less complex than the Smuttynose. I'd certainly recommend it. It's just a shame that it has been in such scarce supply thus far, hopefully it'll show up in more stores soon so I can restock.

Josh Oakes

Post by Josh Oakes »

I, too am down with the Smutty Porter. The best beer in their range, and second best in this release behind Sam Smith's Oatmeal. Well-structured, just big enough for this half-assed January and definitely recommended.

Good call on the Jones labels, too. I knew it looked familiar...

Manul

Post by Manul »

Very good stuff indeed. Reminds me of some California porters. This should probably be a permanent LCBO release.

esprit
Seasoned Drinker

Post by esprit »

Appreciate the feedback so far and your opinions of this product confirm what I've heard from other people who've tried it. Stock is in short supply as the LCBO's order was the smallest of all of the Stouts and Porters so call the Infoline and find out where you can grab the remaining bottles.

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Jon Walker »

Don't bother with the Manulife LCBO unless they get more in. I cleaned them out yesterday of their remaining 30 bottles!

esprit
Seasoned Drinker

Post by esprit »

Well, the CSPC number is 907444 and the LCBO Infoline number is 416-365-5900 so anyone trying to track some down can contact them.

esprit
Seasoned Drinker

Post by esprit »

I just got back from the Queens Quay store and they have a good supply of Smuttynose and I should add that they've got quite a bit of Orval.

Kent

Post by Kent »

For those in the area, the Oakville store -Upper Middle & 8th Line- still has quite a supply of Smuttynose (24+ bottles) as well as Shakespear Stout and Marston's Oyster Stout.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

I was at the Weston Rd. Crossroads LCBO today, and they still had a few cases of the Smutty Porter left. I tried it a while back at Joe's, but I'm looking forward to it again at home soon.

esprit
Seasoned Drinker

Post by esprit »

Today's Toronto Star has an article in the Food Section about Super Bowl beers focusing on beers from St. Louis and New England. If you can believe it, they actually mention Canadian produced Bud and Bud Light since Anheuser-Busch is in St. Louis. On the brighter side, they do mention Smuttynose Robust Porter for fans who will be cheering for New England.....keep it in mind if you're watching the game.

esprit
Seasoned Drinker

Post by esprit »

I'm appealing to all of you who want to see the LCBO continue to bring in interesting U.S. micros to buy up as much Smuttynose as your pocketbook and cellar will allow. Sales have been disappointing to date but that would be partially attributable to the fact that this is a porter and porters don't do well in Ontario. Having said that, if we don't sell through, Smuttynose will not be purchased in the future and there are few enough U.S. micros willing to do business in Ontario. I know that Bartowel readers probably but disproportionately more Smuttynose than anyone else but we do need your help, otherwise, the LCBO will basically assume that those of us who complain about lack of selection talk a good game but don't step up to bat when they bring in good products. Please do whatever you can to help. The pressure is on with the LCBO's new President and the beer category is the least profitable in the LCBO. If beer lovers don't talk with their wallets, they can look forward to a lot of expensive trips to Premier in Buffalo in order to satisfy their needs.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Sorry to hear that the Smutty isn't moving well. I picked up a sixer a while ago and quite enjoyed it. I'll take one for the team :smile: and pick up some more.

A
Bar Fly

Post by A »

Exactly how many bottles are we talking about? I suspect that Bartowel readers alone could probably wipe out the selection in the city if we tried!

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Jon Walker »

Damn it's frustrating that an exceptional beer like Smuttynose can't sell well. What is it out here that quality micro brewed beers seem so unappealing to the Molson/Labbatt lager swilling masses? Sorry to sound a little pissy but I can't fathom it especially having come from Vancouver where there SEEMS to be a bigger market share for micros. Am I wrong?

As for Smuttynose, I've already bought at least 72...maybe closer to 100. I can't really do more without turning into a total beer lush. My nearest LCBO at Spadina and College has a large supply which I seem to be the only patron putting a dent in (on average a six every week or so since it launched). More for me in the short run but dire consequences if I'm one of the only people buying it there.

My largest fear now is that the Victory Hopdevil suffers a similar fate when it comes out next month.