Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Tanglefoot, Ruddles County, & Gales HSB tins

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Martineaux

Post by Martineaux »

The BC Liquor Board has recently added these 3 ales to their limited inventory. How are they back east? I loved the Tanglefoot & Gales HSB in Britain, & Ruddles County was one of my favorite brews back in the 80's, when I used to import that & their Bitter(along with Fullers ESB & London Pride). The Ruddles County I recently had here (by Greene King) was (& still is) very underwhelming. Love the site. This is my first visit.

Manul

Post by Manul »

I can tell you my opinion regarding Tanglefoot. I hate the finish (metallic???). Just turns you off. But that's only an opinion.

Josh Oakes

Post by Josh Oakes »

The Tanglefoot did not go over well here - a very standard English ale (in the most boring possible way). Ruddles County has always been out here. I've heard this beer enjoys a pretty good reputation overall, but I've never found it more than just standard. HSB I don't recall seeing out here and I've never had it.

Martineaux

Post by Martineaux »

FYI, Beer Nation citizens- I grabbed a can of Tanglefoot($2.99 CDN) & a bottle of Gales HSB($4.95 CDN) when I went up to Victoria this past weekend.
The Tanglefoot was OK. Not metallic, not oxidized, and not impressive, unlike on draught in the UK.
On the other hand, the Gales HSB (Horndean Special Bitter) was deeelicious. Big nose. with a beautifully spicy hop finish. On my way back to the States I grabbed 10 bottles. The next day my Mom asked if we could go for a drive up to BC. What the hell, I grabbed 10 more bottles. I love this exchange rate, but the HSB is so good, I probably would have paid the same for it in US$.
By the way, if you have a chance to go to England, I highly recommend going to Horndean, the home of Gales. It is NE of Portsmouth, & accommodations are great at the Ship & Bell Hotel, which adjoins the brewery. Check their site out at http://www.gales.co.uk

Martineaux

Post by Martineaux »

You're right, the Tanglefoot in tins was just swell...uhh, make that SWILL! That's the bad news. The good news is that Gales Festival Mild has come on the market here in the Seattle area, & it is delicious. It is a Dark Mild, which was brewed strictly for CAMRA's Mild Festival. It caught on, & is a Gales regular. It is a dark ruby color, and has a rich, malty, nose to go with a sweetness across the palate nearly reminiscent of a barleywine, but nowhere near the finish, as it only tips the scales at about 3.4%. I could drink this all the time, & happily go broke doing it.