Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Not all beers are created equally

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Mississauga Matt

Post by Mississauga Matt »

In 1999 I did the beer pilgrimage to the Premier Gourmet in Buffalo. Two of the beers I bought were subsequently released by the LCBO. And yet in comparison it was like night and day.

First off, Cooper’s Sparkling Ale. The Premier Gourmet version was everything Michael Jackson described it as: fruity and delicious. The LCBO version, with a plastic wrapper around the neck that the Buffalo version lacked, was bland and not at all the same beer.

Similarly, Gale’s Prize Old Ale was completely different. The Premier Gourmet version, which was vintage dated, was sherry-like and as I expected it. The LCBO version came with no vintage specified, was vinegary and generally unpalatable. The Queen’s Quay store had box loads of this stuff; it obviously wasn’t moving, and I’m sure they shipped it back. I had several conversations with other customers and employees who expressed a dislike for that particular bottling.

Any idea what gives?

A
Bar Fly

Post by A »

Agree with you about the Gale's. I've only tried the LCBO "vintage" :smile:, but its really really awful. 3 times I tried it, three times it was like drinking a bottle of balsamic.

Andicus
Bar Fly

Post by Andicus »

I had a few bottles from the Burlington LCBO (Appleby line?) last year that I really enjoyed. I was disappointed that I couldn't find any more. Maybe I was lucky that I had to quit while I was ahead!