Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Church Key Ale?

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Has anyone tried Church Key Ale? It is the only product from a new brewery in Campbellford (Church Key Brewing), started by John Graham, who used to work at the Amsterdam in Toronto.

Supposedly it is a cross between a cream ale and a stock ale. It is evidently coming to Toronto on draught this summer. Probably worth a try...I'll post more details as I get them.

hop_head

Post by hop_head »

I tried an ale, I believe it was a red ale, by this brewery last summer while in Belleville, half hour from Campbellford (or as the locals call it c'ford), and I must say it was not great :sad:. This is not to say it has not improved over the past year, they were just starting out at the time. Worth another try.

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Jon Walker »

I have tried the Church Key Ale on tap. It was available at Isaiah Tubbs resort pub in Halliwell (resort area south of Kingston very near the site of Glenora Brewery in Quinte) but it is no longer available there. As a draft it was very underwhelming with a very average taste, no lingering flavor and extremely flat overall. As you can tell I was underwhelmed. However the Triple Chin, which you mentioned you didn't like in another post, was quite good on tap. It had good colour, a caramel flavor to it with only a subtle hint of the sweetness you detected. However as Glenora is a very small batch brewery (I visited it this past winter) there may well be a consistency issue which would account for the varying sweetness we both have experienced. Then again, personal taste could also have a lot to do with it.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Just an update regarding Church Key. They are beginning to get a few Toronto draught accounts - here's where you can currently find them:

Smokeless Joe
C'est What
Mackie's Taigh Osda
Renaissance Cafe (1938 Danforth)