Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

McChouffe

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

joey_capps
Bar Fly

Post by joey_capps »

Does anyone having any tasting notes on McChouffe, La Clouffe's version of a strong Scottish Ale. I'm drinking a bottle right now and I'm not enjoying it at all. I'm wondering if the bottle has turned as I've had it cellared for some time now--though I would expect it stand up. Anyway, I don't have another bottle to compare it to so I thought I would appeal for help.

My impressons: A tart/sour flavour in the nose. A soft and spritzy feel at first, but that quickly changes to a thick creaminess. Tastewise, it starts off a little tart and sour but that quickly gives way to a warm,spicy, very bitter finish. Very little sweetness and quite unbalanced.

Given La Chouffe's reputation, I'm assumiing it's just a bad bottle that was improperly stored--that is, before I bought it. It could also be that I just don't appreciate the style. :wink: I should say,however, that it is becoming a little more palatable as it warms up.

Not So Cheerful, Joe

Josh Oakes

Post by Josh Oakes »

That doesn't sound like McChouffe much at all. I don't think the LCBO has ordered that beer in a long time, so age could be a factor. It definitely shouldn't be sour. A one-year old McChouffe is sublime, at two years it starts getting a little bit thick, chewy and generally tastes like a lot of beers do if they age too long.

Specific details on the Vintage Page

http://www.netcom.ca/~jdoakes/vintage.html

joey_capps
Bar Fly

Post by joey_capps »

Thanks Josh:

I bought the beer at a small SAQ in Northern Quebec. The off flavours may be related to age, but I'm more inclined to think it was stored improperly. I'll have to get another bottle and try it again.

It's so disappointing when a beer you're looking forward to has turned. It reminds me of the time I had Sarah Hughes . . . but that's another story.

Cheers, Joe

Josh Oakes

Post by Josh Oakes »

So you had a sour experience with Sarah Hughes? But what does that have to do with beer? <budda bing>

joey_capps
Bar Fly

Post by joey_capps »

Sarah Hughes Dark Ruby, that is, the old ale. :wink:

Andicus
Bar Fly

Post by Andicus »

Joe:

I don't know if McChouffe's is available at other LCBO locations, but if you're still taking the beer course at Brock, you can pick up McChouffe 750mL for (I think, $3.95) at the Grantham Plaza LCBO on Scott/Vine in St. Catharines. Not the greatest, but I think it's worth the $3.95.

There were at least 4 bottles left last time I was there, and they didn't seem to be going quickly.

PRMason
Bar Fly

Post by PRMason »

Joe, Pascal, the Brewer/owner of Brasserie La Choune (in Quebec) is an agent for La Chouffe's beers in Quebec. He is always eager to order cases for those who are interested.

Lyle

Post by Lyle »

a little bit of trivia about the Chouffe Brewery...

The first ever batch of Chouffe-Bok was actually brewed at the Niagara Falls Brewing Company (the owners are friends). If you read the story on the back of the bottle, it talks about a Belgian Gnome going on a trip to the new world and encountering the Falls at Niagara, etc.

If you go to the brewery's website (www.achouffe.be), there is a short little story about their initial exporting to Quebec.

Also - a special scoop for bartowelers. Coming in the Fall/early winter will be a new special release beer from the brewery called Chouffe Coffee. It is La Chouffe distilled, reblended with McChouffe, and spiced with Juniper, Cacao, and Coffee!

Oh - one last thing. I've drank bottles of McChouffe cellared properly for five years, and they were superlative.

Cheers!
Lyle
Lyle Ostrow
Premier Gourmet
3465 Delaware Avenue
Kenmore, NY 14217
tel:(716) 877-3574
email: premierbeer@adelphia.net