Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Wellington Imperial Stout

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Manul

Post by Manul »

It's finally made its presence at Queensquay LCBO along with County Ale and Iron Duke Strong Ale in nice 650ml bottles. Something that will really make a difference in our stout selection.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Excellent news. Hopefully they'll roll it out into more stores. I'll have to go and pick some up soon.

A
Bar Fly

Post by A »

Picked up some last night.

Its *really* harsh. The alcohol is extremely upfront, even more than a fresh Rogue Imperial Stout.

At the same time, I dont know if its got enough oomph to age well. Its not a particularly heavy I.S. , both in terms of alcohol content (8%) or substance.

Still, a pretty good beer in a style that is virtually extinct around these parts.

Manul

Post by Manul »

Sometimes I get the feeling that we are too prone towards criticizing some brews that are unique and commendable, especially for the Ontario beer market. The other day I happened to overhear a conversation at Queensquay LCBO between a customer and a LCBO employee where the customer kind of rejected the suggestion to buy the Black Wych Stout because he "read on Bartowel that is not such a good stout". Hey, give it a try and judge for yourself! Everyone's taste is different. I personally find the Wellington I.S. to be a very good stout and I don't find the alchool stands out. I think it's pretty well balanced even though it's probably not an imperial in the full meaning of the style.

Josh Oakes

Post by Josh Oakes »

Well, nobody is missing anything with the Black Wych, I can assure you. There are some beers that are open to personal taste, and others that just are not well made.

It seems the Wellington is the former. I enjoyed some on Saturday. I didn't notice any particular alcohol. Certainly not the heaviest and I agree it won't age well, but I enjoyed the way it came across as a grown up version of regular Irish stout (lacking the fruitiness of most Imperials).

Tasty, and I'm glad to see it back. And in terms of the local stout scene, let's not forget about KLB. Anyone have more word on that?

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Wow, I didn't know the Bar Towel had such influence :smile:

As for KLB's stout, I have heard nothing from them other than the name was changed from "Blue Moon" to "Blue Chair". There's supposedly a story behind that. KLB is about to move into a new facility in Peterborough, so I wouldn't expect anything on the stout front until later in the year, at least.