Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Godspeed Brewery

Discuss anything and everything about craft brewers from Ontario here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

Belgian wrote:
cboden wrote:I fear all my Taru Ichi cans are infected...the last one I opened was a gusher and extremely tart, I had to pour it. The rest of my cans are taut. Pushing my thumb on the can has absolutely no give to it compared to cans I've aged 1+ years which clearly have less pressure built up inside.
Oh no! GS will I think replace any product, of course but please bring them all by to Luc's attention if at all possible. Even opened cans. It's a major help if he has the info.

Super nice people there.

The brand new canning of Dortmunder and Svetly 12° are so good, in fact I think the Dortmunder is perfect already and IME the Svetly could use a week to settle down into its perfect balance (both brews are from just 4 days ago.)
My second Tara Ichi can exploded all over the place (much to my wifes disliking) and was indeed infected. I happened to order another one only a day before and received a day after, same date code, but it was fine. I don't get it.
untappd/instacrap/facebitch/snapitychat/etc: @matttthewgeorge

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

My last Taru Ichi can went off like a rocket - lost about half of it.

The Kizuna was alright - maybe a bit too citrus forward (I think Bim and Shaun came up with the recipe ages ago and that was Shaun's extent of it being brewed). Better to drink at room temperature.
"A good light beer is one that doesn't taste like piss!" - Frank d'Angelo

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

sprague11 wrote:My last Taru Ichi can went off like a rocket - lost about half of it.

The Kizuna was alright - maybe a bit too citrus forward (I think Bim and Shaun came up with the recipe ages ago and that was Shaun's extent of it being brewed). Better to drink at room temperature.
I found the Kizuna almost astringent.
untappd/instacrap/facebitch/snapitychat/etc: @matttthewgeorge

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

sprague11 wrote:The Kizuna was alright - maybe a bit too citrus forward (I think Bim and Shaun came up with the recipe ages ago and that was Shaun's extent of it being brewed). Better to drink at room temperature.
It's nice - definitely a minty slightly resiny pithy bitterness (though not peppery) and also some juicy pale tropical fruit. Will add a note as it warms up...

* less cold * yes, really nice balance. Natural British ale character is very attractive, slightly fuller feel, the minty-ness remains. Yum. **

As expected, not a clone of the many other NEIPA and NEPA options out there so that's good. Extremely fresh clean dry-ish palate.
In Beerum Veritas

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Wow this is nice. A real UK=style pub ale with some nice depth to it.

"Besuto" Best rocks in my book, and it's a bit less ABV than Oi!

In Beerum Veritas

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

I was recently surprised to see Godspeed in the LCBO, the Yuzu Saison. Excellent beer. I’m hoping a couple of the lagers make their way there as well.

cboden

Post by cboden »

sofakingdrunk wrote:I was recently surprised to see Godspeed in the LCBO, the Yuzu Saison. Excellent beer. I’m hoping a couple of the lagers make their way there as well.
I did a summer order from Godspeed and the that Yuzu was a surprising highlight! All their stuff was quality, as expected, but that Yuzu took me by surprise. It was fantastic on a hot summer day. If it's in the LCBO I hope it sticks as a core beer so I can get it again this summer.

chingobingo

Post by chingobingo »

cboden wrote:
sofakingdrunk wrote:I was recently surprised to see Godspeed in the LCBO, the Yuzu Saison. Excellent beer. I’m hoping a couple of the lagers make their way there as well.
I did a summer order from Godspeed and the that Yuzu was a surprising highlight! All their stuff was quality, as expected, but that Yuzu took me by surprise. It was fantastic on a hot summer day. If it's in the LCBO I hope it sticks as a core beer so I can get it again this summer.
Can confirm that Yuzu is a full-time listing at LCBO. Only available at select locations!

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Godspeed Facebook mentions they have four nice mixed cases for a better price, plus right now a 15% discount and free delivery to many Toronto postal codes (I thinkM2-M9)

I usually swing by and pick out my own 'mixed case.' But I should revisit brews I've only had a few times! These seem to only improve with repeated experience.
In Beerum Veritas

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Sklepník Ve Dřevě - Wood Edition

Inspired by the original lagered in wooden barrels. As described plus a light lemony aspect. I want this to warm up!

Update: They also just released what they are calling a Seltzer with Citrus and Green Tea. Sounds tasty! 2.0% ABV.
In Beerum Veritas

beerstodiscover
Bar Fly

Post by beerstodiscover »

Belgian wrote:Sklepník Ve Dřevě - Wood Edition
Having this now. In addition to the nice hop and malt profiles, this lager definitely has something special going on — I can't really put my finger on it (and I missed out on the non-wood version). It's some kind of funky-woody layer. Godspeed says is has a "pleasant perfume-like oaky hit". I can't disagree with that.

beerstodiscover
Bar Fly

Post by beerstodiscover »

These guys continue to excite an impress. Highlights from the last little while.

Kaede - A Still Maple Beer- I had high hopes and this was better than expected. Quite sweet, but I do love maple syrup. The 250 ml bottle is a shareable portion for sure.

Irori - Peated Scotch Lager - Great smokey scotch ale, probably my favourite dark beer from the brewery.

Nachmeleny - Czech Double IPA - Reminds me of Fuller's IIPA, with a strong malt presence balanced with big euro hops, fresh, herbal, and bitter. This is very good, but I'd like to them do a more sessionable Czech Single IPA.

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

Nice interview with Luc here. Great to see the added recognition.

https://beerandbrewing.com/breakout-brewer-godspeed/
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

Tapsucker wrote:Nice interview with Luc here. Great to see the added recognition.

https://beerandbrewing.com/breakout-brewer-godspeed/
Great read, thanks for posting. Nice to read a story about someone doing something he loves, and not chasing big dollars.

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

I'm inclined to agree that Godspeed is the best brewery in the province, certainly the best at brewing lagers. I've had few if any that come close to the depth and quality theirs.