Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Nickel Brook Brewing

Discuss anything and everything about craft brewers from Ontario here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

boney
Seasoned Drinker

Post by boney »

Some people make charitable donations towards helping people, some for helping animals. Some go towards the local comminity, some more global. Etc., etc. How people decide to donate is up to them. Trying to standardize or prioritize value in charitable donations (if that is what you're insinuating. If not, please clarify) is a dicey, politically trecherous and unnecessary proposition. So Nickel Brook cares about refugees. Good for them. I'm not going to question any one for giving a damn.

Cool idea. I look forward to trying it.

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

CoolB wrote:Just out of curiosity but does nicklebrook have any programs where they support our own vets or homeless canadian citizens?
Does any business, brewery or otherwise, have any programs where they support our own vets or homeless Canadian citizens?

portwood

Post by portwood »

boney wrote:Some people make charitable donations towards helping people, some for helping animals. Some go towards the local comminity, some more global. Etc., etc. How people decide to donate is up to them. Trying to standardize or prioritize value in charitable donations (if that is what you're insinuating. If not, please clarify) is a dicey, politically trecherous and unnecessary proposition. So Nickel Brook cares about refugees. Good for them. I'm not going to question any one for giving a damn.
I agree with this sentiment.

Giving to charity does not equate to an ethical business. I would rather see a business NOT give to charity but run on principles that benefit all its stakeholders (including employees & customers). The stakeholders, as individuals, can distribute the profits from the business the way they see fit.

Bringing it back to the subject of this thread, I'm more concerned about the imagery NB uses on some of its beer cans (i.e. naughty neighbour) than whether or not they contribute to charity!
@markhamwhisky

portwood

Post by portwood »

portwood wrote:
boney wrote:Some people make charitable donations towards helping people, some for helping animals. Some go towards the local comminity, some more global. Etc., etc. How people decide to donate is up to them. Trying to standardize or prioritize value in charitable donations (if that is what you're insinuating. If not, please clarify) is a dicey, politically trecherous and unnecessary proposition. So Nickel Brook cares about refugees. Good for them. I'm not going to question any one for giving a damn.
I agree with this sentiment.

Giving to charity does not equate to an ethical business. I would rather see a business NOT give to charity but run on principles that benefit all its stakeholders (including employees & customers). The stakeholders, as individuals, can distribute the profits from the business the way they see fit - including charities that touch them personally.

Bringing it back to the subject of this thread, I'm more concerned about the imagery NB uses on some of its beer cans (i.e. naughty neighbour) than whether or not they contribute to charity!
@markhamwhisky

CoolB

Post by CoolB »

I'm glad this sparked debate and different insinuations about the nature of my question but I hate to disappoint folks it's just simply a question.

As a consumer of this product I'll ask whatever questions I feel like, within reason.

One person said it correctly. It's good to know that there are people out there that are concerned with refugees. It's also good to know there are people out there that are concerned with our homeless citizens and our vets. It's called diversity and it's a great thing.

No one should be shamed for whom or where their concerns specifically lie. Mine obviously are focused on the citizens of Canada living in poverty and with mental illnesses. This isn't a bad thing no matter what you've been programmed to think. I'm not saying anyone here shamed me. Just making a point.

None of this is a bad thing and neither was my question. Nickle brook can donate to whom ever they wish and I have no effect on their decisions. However as a consumer their decisions may have a direct effect on me.
You know what I have in my cellar? Dust, I have dust in my cellar.

BakaGaijin

Post by BakaGaijin »

They need to fill some freshly emptied bourbon barrels with maple syrup and then sell that aged bourbon maple syrup in the gift shop. Then fill those barrels with their stout and make Canadian Bastard.

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

MatttthewGeorge wrote:
nelson wrote:They don't have any list online about what they have at the bottle shop currently, do they? I'm thinking of making a trip out but would rather go when I know they have some really good stuff.

Also, is the better location to visit the burlington location if I'm more interested in sour beers? And the hamilton one just has the core lineup?
It's coming on the new website, but for now check social media or call Burlington. And don't go to Hamilton, no Nickel Brook sold there at all (yet...)
New website is up, but no listing of what's available.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Yes, but there is a self-evident marketing dimension to their decision to advertise that part of the proceeds from this beer will go to a particular charity. Therefore the question is legitimate and consumers can react to it as they choose. If it were not motivated at least in part by marketing, NB would quietly make their charitable donations and not tell us about them or invite us to join with them (by buying that beer) in what they consider to be the most worthy charitable need.

boney
Seasoned Drinker

Post by boney »

Yep, agree that everything in this thread is pretty fair. Consumers can and should decide what and whom to support based on their own interests and ideological alignment. If NB thinks refugees are a worthy cause, others will either agree or disagree and purchase or not purchase accordingly. I guess I was just trying to say that there is no need to manufacture any sort of competition between charities based on perceived worthiness. It's just personal preference, which is what I think we're all talking about any way.

Agree that the marketing dimension is definitely real. NB could indeed donate on the sly, but one could argue that by using marketing as a signpost for the cause, they will increase 1-the profile of the issue (theoretically, at least), 2-the amount available to give to charity (the more attention, the more bottles sold etc), and of course 3-any profit they themselves might make. None of which are necessarily bad.

I also agree with Portwood. I really like Nickel Brook, but the image on the current Naughty Neighbour cans really needs to be retired.

Hoppy's Tavern

Post by Hoppy's Tavern »

Just tried their Bolshevik Bastard Imperial Stout, Yummies!!!!!!!!

Apperance: It pours thick, velvet black just like oil from a lawnmower, beautiful nutty brown head, just the way it’s suppose to be.

Aroma: sweet mild aromas of toffee, vanilla, hint of biscuit

Taste: Smoky, mild bitter mocha coffee, bitter chocolate, you can taste a slight hint of the high alcohol right down at the back

Mouthfeel: It’s silky, coats your mouth really well with a bitter coffee/malty flavor, you feel the alcohol warming up your throat

Overall: It has some awesome aromas, mild not overpowering malty flavours that you find on some stouts.
The 70% IBU is not noticible, you get a little bit at the middle that goes by un-noticed, the 9% ABV is an awesome mild throat warmer.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

I got a can of this year's immodest. I think it's a good batch.

I've always thought this an underrated beer. If it were brought in by a popular US brewery people would go nuts for it.

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

portwood wrote:
atomeyes wrote:anyways, hope you understand our point of view, even just slightly. or consider it. i definitely understand yours and i see what you're saying. i just disagree :)
Good to see this discussion led you to reconsider what you were using as a signature - in response to someone else whose views you disagreed with :D
it was changed a week ago. i didn't want people to miscontrue that i was homophobic.

anyways...had the nickelbrook cucumber beer a week ago. meh

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

I moved all the sexism talk to it's own thread:

http://www.bartowel.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=10780

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

S. St. Jeb wrote:
MatttthewGeorge wrote:
nelson wrote:They don't have any list online about what they have at the bottle shop currently, do they? I'm thinking of making a trip out but would rather go when I know they have some really good stuff.

Also, is the better location to visit the burlington location if I'm more interested in sour beers? And the hamilton one just has the core lineup?
It's coming on the new website, but for now check social media or call Burlington. And don't go to Hamilton, no Nickel Brook sold there at all (yet...)
New website is up, but no listing of what's available.
Seems to be there now...not sure how accurate it is....ad it is a bit tricky to find:
https://nickelbrook.com/our-breweries/bottle-shop/

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

I only make it to the brewery every month or two, so I can't say how accurate it is, but it looks right.
untappd/instacrap/facebitch/snapitychat/etc: @matttthewgeorge