Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Nickel Brook Brewing

Discuss anything and everything about craft brewers from Ontario here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

MattS wrote:
sofakingdrunk wrote:I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that immodest was going to be 5$ for a tAllboy at lcbo. Seems high to me, but just throwing it out to those who have had it( I havnt). Would it be worth $5?
Absolutely. Comparing that to their Winey Bastard at $14.95 for 750ml, $5 for 473ml of (in my opinion) a far better beer is an absolute bargain.

Think of it this way, if you saw a double IPA in a 650ml bomber for $8, would you think it expensive? I'd guess not. This is cheaper.

Good point. I guess I'm just fooled by perception. seeing pretty much only bmbers(until recently) and their pricing really fucks with perception

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

ckoop wrote:
sofakingdrunk wrote:I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that immodest was going to be 5$ for a tAllboy at lcbo. Seems high to me, but just throwing it out to those who have had it( I havnt). Would it be worth $5?

Or compare it to Bellwoods 6.50 iipa 500ml bottles. Nicklebrook and Great Lakes are pricing their cans well.

Regardless of price, previous versions of immodest have been outstanding.
Judgement of price, therefore "value", is highly personal, but I echo these other comments. Don't let the $5 can stop you from trying it. I have found this beer to be incredible.

jeremyg

Post by jeremyg »

I've never really understood the love affair with NB, specifically NN and Headstock, but Immodest is definitely fantastic. Can't recommend enough.

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

^^^id agree with that comment on the headstock, I've never really loved it as much as others seem to.

CoolB

Post by CoolB »

To each their own I guess but IMO Headstock is easily the best readily available IPA in Ontario.
You know what I have in my cellar? Dust, I have dust in my cellar.

distr0

Post by distr0 »

jeremyg wrote:I've never really understood the love affair with NB, specifically NN and Headstock, but Immodest is definitely fantastic. Can't recommend enough.
wut really? I've always felt the complete opposite. they seem to be one of the most overlooked and underrated breweries around here, and one of the best in ontario IMO

CoolB

Post by CoolB »

Bolshevik Bastard is probably one of my favorite stouts too. I've got to agree with distr0. I think they are far underrated.
You know what I have in my cellar? Dust, I have dust in my cellar.

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

distr0 wrote:
jeremyg wrote:I've never really understood the love affair with NB, specifically NN and Headstock, but Immodest is definitely fantastic. Can't recommend enough.
wut really? I've always felt the complete opposite. they seem to be one of the most overlooked and underrated breweries around here, and one of the best in ontario IMO
I think the reason that NB is somewhat underrated is that for years they were producing average to below average beers. Their quality and creativity have both improved considerably over the past 12-24 months and it takes time to change the opinions that consumers have developed over the many years that they weren't producing even a single beer worth talking about on BT.

After Bellwoods, they'd be in the running for #2 on Ontario along with Great Lakes IMO.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

My only issue with Headstock is the consistency. I think part of that was the move to the new facility and another part of it is it's a general list IPA as opposed to the special releases Great Lakes do. But the fact remains that sometimes I have a headstock and it's amazing and sometimes it's not.

For them to rival GL or Bellwoods, they're going to need to start making some different beers. The Bastard variants and Cuvee are good, but it's largely the same stuff every year. I gather that's part of the intention for the old facility with the move to the new facility, so I'm optimistic for what's coming in the next couple of years.

walz22

Post by walz22 »

Craig wrote:My only issue with Headstock is the consistency. I think part of that was the move to the new facility and another part of it is it's a general list IPA as opposed to the special releases Great Lakes do. But the fact remains that sometimes I have a headstock and it's amazing and sometimes it's not.

For them to rival GL or Bellwoods, they're going to need to start making some different beers. The Bastard variants and Cuvee are good, but it's largely the same stuff every year. I gather that's part of the intention for the old facility with the move to the new facility, so I'm optimistic for what's coming in the next couple of years.
It looks like they are going in that direction with the Pilot Project series. Granted, a BBA Coffee Stout to start off the series isn't earth shattering, but it was very well made imo, and releasing a Brett pale ale as Pilot Project #2 shows that they're branching out a bit more into different styles/techniques.

Agreed on the Headstock though; when it's on, it's my favourite readily available IPA. But the consistency has been an issue this past year, and I'm seeing less fresh stock in the 'BO these days. I used to be able to find 2 day old Headstock at the 'BO's near me (Summerhill, Yonge/Eg), but that hasn't been the case lately.

distr0

Post by distr0 »

i haven't seen headstock on shelves as much lately either. wanted to grab some the other day but it was nowhere to be found (in Guelph at least)

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

distr0 wrote:i haven't seen headstock on shelves as much lately either. wanted to grab some the other day but it was nowhere to be found (in Guelph at least)

Just a heads up, as of yesterday there's cans dated March 15 @ Clair road lcbo

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

Headstock to me....was "ok" for a long time.....then it became great a couple of years ago.
As some have said, consistency seems a bit off, but when you get it fresh, for the price, it's damn good stuff.

Winter is Coming

Post by Winter is Coming »

sofakingdrunk wrote:
distr0 wrote:i haven't seen headstock on shelves as much lately either. wanted to grab some the other day but it was nowhere to be found (in Guelph at least)

Just a heads up, as of yesterday there's cans dated March 15 @ Clair road lcbo
Just picked some of this week old Headstock up and it's fresh! I can't believe how night and day this IPA is fresh vs a month or so on it.

Now Nickel Brook are my favourite brewery but with that being said, I recently picked up one of their newly canned Maple Porters and something was definitely off. There was absolutely ZERO maple to this canned version, as well as a strong boozy/chemical undertone which I wouldn't expect off of a 6.0 % porter. It was almost a drain pour....almost.

walz22

Post by walz22 »

On another note, I was at NB last Friday and there was still what appeared to be a decent amount of Cafe Del Bastardo left, if anyone was looking to try it.