Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Von Bugle Brewing

Discuss anything and everything about craft brewers from Ontario here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Von Bugle Brewing

Post by S. St. Jeb »

According to this...

http://ontariobev.net/steam-whistles-se ... e-brewing/

...Steam Whistle is building a new brewery which will be operated as Von Bugle Brewing.

GtownRandy

Post by GtownRandy »

Are they going to make more than one kind of beer?

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

From the sounds of it no. They launched a separate brewery that is also going to brew a different single beer.

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

Craig wrote:From the sounds of it no. They launched a separate brewery that is also going to brew a different single beer.
That was my impression too.

GtownRandy

Post by GtownRandy »

All right, they’re making a Lager with European hops!

This one is darker, and also won’t have any corn syrup or foam enhancers

http://www.canadianbeernews.com/2018/04 ... etobicoke/

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

GtownRandy wrote:All right, they’re making a Lager with European hops!

My guess is it'll be something along the lines of a dunkel/tmavý, in which case I'd actually be quite happy to have a quality, locally made dark lager available year-round. There are a couple other decent dark lagers available lately, Napanee Blacklist and Four Fathers Shevchenko come to mind, but I feel it's still a very underrepresented category.

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

seangm wrote:

My guess is it'll be something along the lines of a dunkel/tmavý, in which case I'd actually be quite happy to have a quality, locally made dark lager available year-round. There are a couple other decent dark lagers available lately, Napanee Blacklist and Four Fathers Shevchenko come to mind, but I feel it's still a very underrepresented category.
I'd like to see more good dark lagers as well. I'm not a fan of the Shevchenko tbh, I do love that Blacklist though, and the Junction black lager is good too. Generally my go-to dark lager though is Side Launch.

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

sofakingdrunk wrote:
seangm wrote:

I'd like to see more good dark lagers as well. I'm not a fan of the Shevchenko tbh, I do love that Blacklist though, and the Junction black lager is good too. Generally my go-to dark lager though is Side Launch.
Ah yea Junction, I almost forgot about that one, it's up there with Blacklist for me. Agreed on Side Launch as well. Shevchenko is a bit on the sweet side I found, but it has grown on me.

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

Steamwhistle is shutting this down.

Steam Whistle Brewing Drops Von Bugle Munich Lager Brand and Taproom

Perhaps it no longer made sense with them brewing New Belgium Fat Tire Amber Ale.

portwood

Post by portwood »

S. St. Jeb wrote:Steamwhistle is shutting this down.
Harder than they thought to do more than one thing well :lol:
@markhamwhisky

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

These guys confound me.

Finally someone sticks their neck out to make a locally brewed Vienna Lager, understandably a bit of a boring category, but then they find a way to make it even more *meh*. Yet they spend all the effort and money to buildi a separate brand for said *meh*. Was this like some high shcool economics project for one of the kids? Why not make a good beer and use that as the thesis?

As for the Fat Tire. Oh boy. Fat Tire is like the US version of Rickards. You wander into some bar and the taps are all like Miller or something and you see Fat Tire and decide to settle for that. However, having settled for that many times, I can tell you this contract version is not even as good. How can they screw up another *meh*?

In all fairness, I had the Steamwhistle version on tap soon after it arrived in the market. Maybe they have dialed it in a bit, but my first two takeaways were, this is not Fat Tire and how are they getting away with charging so much? Was over pricing supposed to make this seam more appealing? Seriously, I'd rather be in a dive bar drinking one of those *house* ambers from Cool or GLB.

Good riddance to this
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

portwood wrote:
S. St. Jeb wrote:Steamwhistle is shutting this down.
Harder than they thought to do more than one thing well :lol:
"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposing ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function"
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.