Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Storm Stayed

Discuss anything and everything about craft brewers from Ontario here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Storm Stayed

Post by S. St. Jeb »

Storm Stayed has announced a mixed 24-pack to celebrate their third anniversary.

https://www.canadianbeernews.com/2020/1 ... rsary-box/

I was a little excited at first, but am hesitating because of the prices. $100 + $15 shipping is about $4.80 per can, and they're only 355 mL. Gonna have to think on this one a bit.

@Cratez
I think you are a fan of this brewery. Any thoughts?

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

S. St. Jeb wrote:Storm Stayed has announced a mixed 24-pack to celebrate their third anniversary.

I was a little excited at first, but am hesitating because of the prices. $100 + $15 shipping is about $4.80 per can, and they're only 355 mL. Gonna have to think on this one a bit.

@Cratez
My thoughts are that while they make some tasty beers and there is a solid range of styles in that box, $100 for a 24 of 355ml cans is laughable.
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

cratez wrote:
S. St. Jeb wrote:Storm Stayed has announced a mixed 24-pack to celebrate their third anniversary.

@Cratez
My thoughts are that while they make some tasty beers and there is a solid range of styles in that box, $100 for a 24 of 355ml cans is laughable.
how much should it cost? in your opinion of course

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

matt7215 wrote:how much should it cost? in your opinion of course
I like Storm Stayed, I really do. They are probably the second best brewery in London. Their West Coast IPAs/DIPAs, lagers, and porters/stouts are usually excellent. And the taproom and patio are awesome places to have a beer. But at a price point of $4.17 to $4.80 per 355ml can, I would be expecting a world class product. For a lot of their beers (sours, hazy IPAs, most of their fruited offerings), they are not quite there yet.

That said, and this always gets trotted out and can be said of any brewery regardless of quality, the correct price point for the brewery is whatever the market will bear. I'm sure this box will sell out. I will not be one of the people buying it, but to a large extent my opinion doesn't matter if they sell a ton anyway.

One thing I didn't notice on first glance, but am seeing now, is that this box comes with a glass for pickup and local delivery orders. Assuming they normally sell that for ~$7, that means the beers are more like $93 for local orders, or $3.88 per can. That is a bit more reasonable, and puts things in a different perspective. In my case I already have two Storm Stayed glasses, so the appeal isn't there.
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

cboden

Post by cboden »

The description for the box says "With eight unique styles curated by our brewers". I'm curious about the language "curated" here. Does this mean Storm Stayed didn't brew it themselves? Am I reading too much into this?

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

cboden wrote:The description for the box says "With eight unique styles curated by our brewers". I'm curious about the language "curated" here. Does this mean Storm Stayed didn't brew it themselves? Am I reading too much into this?
I think they just mean the brewers curated the selection of styles, the beers themselves appear to be brewed by Storm Stayed. People just like the word curated because it sounds fancier.

"A bespoke selection of craft beverages curated by our in-house beer experts"

Quick, someone hire me to create fluffed up marketing speak.

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

cratez wrote:One thing I didn't notice on first glance, but am seeing now, is that this box comes with a glass for pickup and local delivery orders. Assuming they normally sell that for ~$7, that means the beers are more like $93 for local orders, or $3.88 per can. That is a bit more reasonable, and puts things in a different perspective. In my case I already have two Storm Stayed glasses, so the appeal isn't there.

I'd love to know how many customers actually want the glass? i suspect it's a selling point for casual drinkers / people buying it as a gift for Christmas but many beer geeks probably view it as paying extra for something they don't want / ran out of room for many glasses ago. It's similar to the festivals proudly proclaiming their souvenir glassware. Charge me $4 less and I'll bring one from home Mondial style thanks! :)