Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Stone City Ales in Kingston

Discuss anything and everything about craft brewers from Ontario here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Masterplan
Bar Fly

Stone City Ales in Kingston

Post by Masterplan »

Not sure if it's been mentioned , but Kingston is getting a new craft brewery in July... Stone City Ales.

http://stonecityales.com

http://m.kingstonregion.com/news-story/ ... -kingston/

saints_gambit
Bar Fly

Post by saints_gambit »

Interesting that they've decided to use the branding from Kingston's first Lager as a Session Ale. I'm guessing they didn't actually research that.

Joseph Bajus brewed 12 Star Lager, but that's not really all that interesting.

The interesting guy was Joseph Bajus' dad.

He used to be able to run from Frankfurt to Mainz (40 miles) in just under five hours. He was hired as a messenger by Grand Duke Louis I of Hesse. Bajus' father was called "the flying man."

That'd be a good name for a Kingston beer.
saintjohnswort.ca

Colin @ Canada

Post by Colin @ Canada »

I'm really excited about stone city ales. The 4 beers they have lined up are called "ships in the night stout", "12 stars session ale", "uncharted IPA", and "whitecaps" a belgian style wheat beer. They will be doing growlers as well.

So far my favorite beer bars in Kingston are the alibi (only open at night), red house and the brooklyn (more of a night club though with great beer).

http://eedition.kingstonlife.ca/doc/kin ... 042901/#24

saints_gambit
Bar Fly

Post by saints_gambit »

Colin @ Canada wrote:I'm really excited about stone city ales. The 4 beers they have lined up are called "ships in the night stout", "12 stars session ale", "uncharted IPA", and "whitecaps" a belgian style wheat beer. They will be doing growlers as well.

So far my favorite beer bars in Kingston are the alibi (only open at night), red house and the brooklyn (more of a night club though with great beer).

http://eedition.kingstonlife.ca/doc/kin ... 042901/#24
Red House is awesome. They do this cotechino and lentil thing that was so good it made me attempt to decipher their lentil recipe. I think there's some sharp dijon mustard in there.
saintjohnswort.ca

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Colin @ Canada wrote:So far my favorite beer bars in Kingston are the alibi (only open at night), red house and the brooklyn (more of a night club though with great beer).
Those are pretty much it for good beer bars in Kingston, I believe? Maybe a bit of Iron Duke and Sir John's thrown in for variety. When I was down in December I was very pleased to find that the Gananoque Brewing rye beer was on tap in the Delta hotel, so perhaps include it too for a change of pace. And I guess there's still KBC. All I all, not a bad selection for a town of its size and will be even better when Stone City arrives on Princess.

Masterplan
Bar Fly

Post by Masterplan »

Colin @ Canada

Post by Colin @ Canada »

Sitting here at stone city ales.
Enjoying a flight of their beers
Currently available is.......
Windward Belgian wheat. 18 IBU
12 Star session ale 35 IBU
Uncharted IPA 70 IBU
Watchtower conspiracy IPA 85 IBU
Ships in the night oatmeal stout 35 IBU
Some snacks like nuts and pretzels.
Selling all in growlers and squeelers.
T shirts for sale as well. [/url]
"Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder"

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

Colin @ Canada wrote:Selling all in growlers and squeelers. [/url]
Squeelers?

You must mean something different from the definitions I found at urbandictionary.com

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

I feel like I ought to be especially qualified to weigh in here and yet...

Colin @ Canada

Post by Colin @ Canada »

The 16oz take home jugs they called squeelers.
"Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder"

Masterplan
Bar Fly

Post by Masterplan »

Colin @ Canada wrote:The 16oz take home jugs they called squeelers.
32 oz.

I have had everything but the stout so far.

The IPA was drier and less citrusy then I normally like, but still very good.

The session and Belgium wheat were great summer beers and disappeared way too quickly...

The watchtower conspiracy was a decent iipa, missing a little depth of flavour thus making it very drinkable for a 9.1%.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

A Kingston friend brought me a "squeeler" (thanks for the definition above) of 12 Star Session Ale. I am quite enjoying it. Very fresh tasting golden ale with just the right hop backbone, for me at least. Quite quaffable. Very promising IMO.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Colin @ Canada wrote:The 16oz take home jugs they called squeelers.
Or someone who complains about overpriced & deceptive 14 oz 'pints' on the internet. Damn pint squealers...

"I would have gotten away with it too, if it wasn't for you meddling kids!"
In Beerum Veritas

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

I stopped in here on the way home from the Brewery Market and was impressed. Nice looking spot, right on Princess St. downtown, which looks like one of the major bar strips (sorry not very familiar with Kingston).

Met the owner Ron who's an enthusiastic guy about what he's doing, coming into beer from a completely different industry. They've got an open concept space, with a bar & tasting room facing the street and glassed-in and visible brewery in the back.

They had about 8 beers or so on tap, available in 16oz 'pint' or a 3x5oz flight of any of their beers. $7 for 16oz or $8 for flight IIRC. There's also a take-away bar with growlers/squeelers and merch.

Only had a flight as I was road-tripping but the beers were good, as they were the day before at the Brewery Market.

A nice addition to a city that seemed to be a bit late to embrace craft beer - well worth a visit.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

That's pretty much the only bar strip in Kingston. Down Princess then around the corner a little on Ontario.