Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

What're you brewing right now?

Post your own tasty recipes or homebrewing advice here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

J343MY

Post by J343MY »

Brewed twice this weekend. A porter, and a saison with honey and lavender.

J343MY

Post by J343MY »

Working on an apricot sour. over 20lbs of Ontario apricots and 5 gallons of a 15 month old sour.

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

Looks great, have a fresh wit that I'm trying to decide between doing a short secondary on either peaches/apricots or Blackberries
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

ercousin

Post by ercousin »

icemachine wrote:Looks great, have a fresh wit that I'm trying to decide between doing a short secondary on either peaches/apricots or Blackberries
Does it have much corriander flavour? If so I would vote peach/apricot. Since the dark fruit of the blackberry much clash with the phenol character of the seed. Plus peach or apricot wit sounds delicious.
GTA Brews - Toronto's Homebrew Club - http://www.gtabrews.ca/

Eric's Brewing Blog - Advanced Homebrewing for the Intermediate Brewer - http://www.ericbrews.com/

mahcinesquad

Post by mahcinesquad »

Monday brewed a Flanders red, Tuesday did an oyster stout, and next week should be brewing a lambic.

Swampale

Post by Swampale »

After reading what everyone else is brewing, well, I am brewing a Blonde Ale.
TaxFreeBeerTastesBetter

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

Bad Tattoo has been hosting the local homebrewers for a number of brew offs... After the next one they'll declare a Brewer of the year that'll get to do a collaborative brew on the big system.

The next style is Scottish ale, so I brewed a 'lighter' one for a nice yeast cake for a Wee Heavy. The 80ish schilling really attenuated out, to 1.010 and 5.8% abv, so I dry hopped it and made it more of an ESB.

The wee heavy was right on target, finishing at 1.018 and 8.8%. I used a bit of pleated malt and added an oak tea to the secondary (short on time), hopefully it turns out!

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

Dark Cherry Cider.

Still and sparkling mead.

Blood Orange Frankenstein mead.

Hoppy Munich Helles.
lister

Swampale

Post by Swampale »

Brewing a double batch ( 90 L ) of Kolsch. This will be my beer for the summer.
TaxFreeBeerTastesBetter

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

Honey Apricot Kolsch.
lister

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

So that Scotch Ale only placed third in the home brew competition, but after my other third and first finishes, they declared me the brewer of the year!

It got quite a bit of press when it was first announced:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-c ... -1.3518357
http://www.canadianbeernews.com/2016/04 ... ewed-beer/

On Saturday I brewed 2000L with the head brewer at Bad Tattoo. It's sort of a Belgian-inspired cherry wit. We'll add 100L of cherry juice when the primary fermentation slows down. Grain bill was 5% acidulated malt, with the rest split between pilsner and toasted wheat. We're using the faux brett yeast (WLP644), and it should finish around 4.4% abv.

I'm planning to harvest some of that yeast and do a tart wheat for home as well.

GtownRandy

Post by GtownRandy »

Congrats Derek! Very exciting! :D

dale cannon

Post by dale cannon »

I have 11gal of IPA in the unitank fermenting away w US-05. 2 row, C20, wheat malt and carapils. Bittered w Warrior, then 5, 1 and 0 min additions of citra, simcoe and centennial. Also a 15min hopstand w same 3. Planning to dry hop 1/2 w citra cryo hops.
That's the way she goes. Sometimes she goes, sometimes it doesn't. She didn't go. That's the way she goes.

dale cannon

Post by dale cannon »

Brown IPA brewed yesterday.
2 row, Carapils, Wheat malt, Caramel 45, Chocolate malt
Bittered w Warrior, Centennial late additions and hop stand
Escarpment Cali Ale yeast
OG came out at 1.065
That's the way she goes. Sometimes she goes, sometimes it doesn't. She didn't go. That's the way she goes.

dale cannon

Post by dale cannon »

Today was 11gal of English Dark Mild

MO, special roast, crystal 80 and chocolate malt

Phoenix first wort hops, EKG for aroma

Fermenting with MJ M36 Liberty Bell

OG was 1.036