Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Experience brewing a rootbeer?

Post your own tasty recipes or homebrewing advice here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Experience brewing a rootbeer?

Post by El Pinguino »

Anyone here have experience brewing a (non-alcoholic) root beer?

I've come across a few decent resources and recipes, but have never attempted one. Appreciate any links / tips people can share!

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

El Pinguino wrote:Anyone here have experience brewing a (non-alcoholic) root beer?

I've come across a few decent resources and recipes, but have never attempted one. Appreciate any links / tips people can share!
yes.
they are expensive.
http://www.chow.com/recipes/10681-chow-root-beer

i left out the licorice.

jcc

Post by jcc »

I've tried a couple times, but you need to remove from your mind the taste of A&W or Hires as the epitome of root beer. All recipes I've tried are good, but because they don't use a dark caramel syrup and usually aren't vanilla heavy don't look or taste like commercial root beer, not that this is a bad thing. Also, it can be difficult to get sassafras as it is considered a carcinogen. Don't get the extract "kits", they are terrible.

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

Thanks guys. Ya, I'm all about different root beers....I've tried more than 200 different ones and prefer the ones with a bit of a different, more complex flavour such as Babbling Brooke from Nickelbrook or Bulldog root beer from California.

I find root beer fascinating as you can get some that are heavy vanilla, sweet bombs even to the extent of having lactose in them. Or some spicy cinnamon, sassafrass, birch root types. Or the big anise/licorice ones. Then you get the big minty wintergreen ones (the flavour that pretty much all Europeans and South Americans hate).

Exploding bottles seems to be a very common issue with root beers....fun!

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

ferment in an empty 2 litre. nothing will explode.
ferment at 18 C.
do it for 48 hours, then put in the fridge.

my recipe tastes deliciously rooty/herbal but still has that root beer essence to it.
sassafrass is available at all herb stores on the danforth. its carcinogenic properties were exaggerated.

jcc

Post by jcc »

atomeyes wrote:sassafrass is available at all herb stores on the danforth. its carcinogenic properties were exaggerated.
I've always felt that the carcinogenic properties were exaggerated, but as I understand it it is still not permitted in commercial versions of root beer. Could be wrong though.

The stuff available that you have seen, is it the whole root or just the bark?

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

jcc wrote:
atomeyes wrote:sassafrass is available at all herb stores on the danforth. its carcinogenic properties were exaggerated.
I've always felt that the carcinogenic properties were exaggerated, but as I understand it it is still not permitted in commercial versions of root beer. Could be wrong though.

The stuff available that you have seen, is it the whole root or just the bark?
think it's the bark.
again, you're talking about drinking it a few times a year. think we're safe.

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

Interestingly, the root beer from Nickelbrook lists sassafras root as one of the ingredients, whereas pretty much any other root beer I've had lists sassafras or sassafras extract (which have had safrole removed from them, so are "safe".)