Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Witchstock 2018

Post details, reviews and recaps of interesting beer events in Ontario and elsewhere here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Masterplan
Bar Fly

Post by Masterplan »

Yeah, the pre-fest was awful. Way too crowded. Other than that it was totally awesome. My non-Cantillon highlights were Postgalcial by Homes, Here's to feeling good all the time by Bissell Brothers, and Vimana and Vadar Seizeon by Forest & Main.

Gedge
Bar Fly

Post by Gedge »

Ended up going despite feeling a bit under the weather (and not being able to find a buyer for the ticket). Glad I went as this was the best beer event I've been to in some time. I was at session 2. Didn't find the opening Ontario "gauntlet" that bad. Although Ontario brewers really seem hung up on barrel/sour styles based on what they brought to the fest. Had a few things outside but it was indoors where the real goodies were. So many excellent IPAs. Other Half, Bissell Brothers, Homes, Triple Crossing were all great to name a few.

Very well run event. Only real lineup was for Cantillon and even that moved fast. No long waits for the portaloos either. Beer/coat check also a nice touch. The Lyft discount offer was a smart idea, though I opted for the TTC as I wasn't too far gone when I left.

And who doesn't like a party with a mariachi band?

beerstodiscover
Bar Fly

Post by beerstodiscover »

I was at session 1 and it was pretty great.

They must have underestimated how many people would show up for the opening 45 min Ontario session because we were like sardines in there for a while. Good on Bellwoods for opening the main event 15 mins early.

I only went for Cantillon once, there was just way too much greatness around here to keep me occupied.

I thought the event could have used more stouts. However there were a few really good ones available.

House of Fermentology Silver Dot was my standout. Also loved the Oysters at $5 for 4.

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

Masterplan wrote:Great time at Session 1. 46 beers tasted including every Cantillon. The start was a gong show in the Ontario "line up" but after that it was very well managed.
46! jeebus!

munrets

Post by munrets »

Lots and lots and lots of bottle at Hafis.

Lots.

Masterplan
Bar Fly

Post by Masterplan »

JerCraigs wrote:
Masterplan wrote:Great time at Session 1. 46 beers tasted including every Cantillon. The start was a gong show in the Ontario "line up" but after that it was very well managed.
46! jeebus!
Well technically 46 half samples as I was sharing.

jeremyg

Post by jeremyg »

This ruled so hard. Was so happy to try stuff by breweries like Forest and Main and Tired hands (just to name a couple) and they didn't disappoint. Extremely well organized. Absolutely LOVE the mariachi band.

Oh and all the releases were absolutely ridiculous as well.