What're you drinking right now?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: GregClow, Cass

User avatar
Belgian
Bar Towel Legend
Posts: 10019
Joined: Sun Jul 04, 2004 6:15 pm
Location: Earth

What're you lightly drinking?

Postby Belgian » Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:08 pm

Had a few low-ABV brews... the Godspeed Draught-lager style"Baby Svetly" (1.5%) is pretty acceptable for a crushable quaff,

and the Omnipollo KONX (0.3%) tastes almost like a good light sour pale but something in the taste goes very wrong, like it's spoiled or infected.

I'm not expecting the fulness and body of 'beer' in either of these, they are really something else than that to me, but there's no good reason the Omnipollo should taste spoiled.

Image
Last edited by Belgian on Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In Beerum Veritas
User avatar
shintriad
Bar Fly
Posts: 583
Joined: Thu Jul 15, 2004 8:19 pm
Location: Toronto

Re: What're you lightly drinking?

Postby shintriad » Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:09 am

Belgian wrote:Had a few low-ABV brews... the Godspeed Draught-lager style"Baby Svetly" (1.5%) is pretty acceptable for a crushable quaff,

and the Omnipollo KONX (0.9%) tastes almost like a good light sour pale but something in the taste goes very wrong, like it's spoiled or infected.

I'm not expecting the fulness and body of 'beer' in either of these, they are really something else than that to me, but there's no good reason the Omnipollo should taste spoiled.
]


Dang, I just ordered a bunch from Godspeed and I guess Baby Svetly wasn't out yet! I'll have to try it someday.

I had the Konx from the LCBO and thought it was one of the best non-alcs I've had...maybe it was a batch thing? Also, I thought it was lower ABV than that, more like 0.3% far as I can tell.
User avatar
Belgian
Bar Towel Legend
Posts: 10019
Joined: Sun Jul 04, 2004 6:15 pm
Location: Earth

Re: What're you linking?

Postby Belgian » Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:13 pm

shintriad wrote:Dang, I just ordered a bunch from Godspeed and I guess Baby Svetly wasn't out yet! I'll have to try it someday.

I had the Konx from the LCBO and thought it was one of the best non-alcs I've had...maybe it was a batch thing? Also, I thought it was lower ABV than that, more like 0.3% far as I can tell.

The Polotomavy and Pivo are also now just out. As are the regular Svetly 12º plus the Vicepni 10º and Tmavy. It's a Czech brew love-fest at the Godspeed brewery right now, six of 'em in the store. Those are pretty much all hits by my book.

Also regrets for the Omnipollo ABV typo, I did link the KONX with the right info. I've seen other KONX ratings that questioned infection of product, to the point of a total drain pour - and I wonder if it's a function of there being no alcohol in the brew keeping it stable with minimal pasteurization? I'm fairly sure it's a great product long before it gets to us... and would try it again if that's the case.
In Beerum Veritas
seangm
Posts: 350
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:44 pm

Re: What're you linking?

Postby seangm » Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:29 am

Belgian wrote:
shintriad wrote:Dang, I just ordered a bunch from Godspeed and I guess Baby Svetly wasn't out yet! I'll have to try it someday.

I had the Konx from the LCBO and thought it was one of the best non-alcs I've had...maybe it was a batch thing? Also, I thought it was lower ABV than that, more like 0.3% far as I can tell.

The Polotomavy and Pivo are also now just out. As are the regular Svetly 12º plus the Vicepni 10º and Tmavy. It's a Czech brew love-fest at the Godspeed brewery right now, six of 'em in the store. Those are pretty much all hits by my book.

Also regrets for the Omnipollo ABV typo, I did link the KONX with the right info. I've seen other KONX ratings that questioned infection of product, to the point of a total drain pour - and I wonder if it's a function of there being no alcohol in the brew keeping it stable with minimal pasteurization? I'm fairly sure it's a great product long before it gets to us... and would try it again if that's the case.


I had a friend mention that he's found a lot of the Omnipollo and Mikkeller stuff coming out of Brunswick to have a sort of papery oxidized note. I hadn't noticed it until more recently, I was drinking a Fresh Start and definitely picked up on it. I've also come across some less than fresh inventory on several occasions, so maybe shelf stability is a general issue. To me I definitely get a distinct "house" aroma to the Omnipollo and Mikkeller beers, so I'm curious if anyone else has picked up on anything like that.

Regarding the KONX, I was lucky enough to not have your experience, however I found the hop profile to have such a strong floral perfume-y note to the point that I didn't enjoy it. I don't typically mind floral flavours but this was very much a scented candle, cosmetic-like perfume note that was very intense.
beerstodiscover
Bar Fly
Posts: 612
Joined: Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:16 pm
Contact:

Re: What're you drinking right now?

Postby beerstodiscover » Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:55 pm

Great Lakes Brewery Beard of Zeus (2014) — I remember picking this up and being delighted by the "best AFTER Dec 31, 2014" label. That trend never took off. For me, barley wines are very hit and miss, this one is still a hit with lots of barrel, bourbon and malty goodness enduring after 7 years in the cellar. Not hot at all. Josh Rubin was right: Beard of Zeus a potent ale which rewards patience.
User avatar
Craig
Seasoned Drinker
Posts: 1760
Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:23 am

Re: What're you drinking right now?

Postby Craig » Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:38 pm

I love that beer. I wish Half hours on earth would put out more (any?) Beers of that style, their brewer made that for and won a Toronto beer week competition with that recipe.
User avatar
Belgian
Bar Towel Legend
Posts: 10019
Joined: Sun Jul 04, 2004 6:15 pm
Location: Earth

What're you Konxing back right now?

Postby Belgian » Sun Apr 04, 2021 5:12 pm

seangm wrote:I had a friend mention that he's found a lot of the Omnipollo and Mikkeller stuff coming out of Brunswick to have a sort of papery oxidized note....
Regarding the KONX, I was lucky enough to not have your experience....

Yes that very light cardboardy oxidized thing was there. Just enough to be a little annoying.

In the spirit of a fair try, I bought one more can of Omnipollo KONX which to me seemed better... then I picked up another 12 cans, because I'm enjoying this brew!

You mentioned a very perfumey waxy florality which I wasn't really getting so that's interesting. The profile of the hops and the light tartness grows on me, because at 'cool room temperature' this one actually manages to get a decent body and pale-tart fruit to it, despite the near-absence (0.03%) of alcohol. It's a fine post-hiking 'baby pale ale' to enjoy anywhere outdoors in the sun. Cheers!
In Beerum Veritas
seangm
Posts: 350
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:44 pm

Re: What're you Konxing back right now?

Postby seangm » Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:11 am

Belgian wrote:
seangm wrote:I had a friend mention that he's found a lot of the Omnipollo and Mikkeller stuff coming out of Brunswick to have a sort of papery oxidized note....
Regarding the KONX, I was lucky enough to not have your experience....

Yes that very light cardboardy oxidized thing was there. Just enough to be a little annoying.

In the spirit of a fair try, I bought one more can of Omnipollo KONX which to me seemed better... then I picked up another 12 cans, because I'm enjoying this brew!

You mentioned a very perfumey waxy florality which I wasn't really getting so that's interesting. The profile of the hops and the light tartness grows on me, because at 'cool room temperature' this one actually manages to get a decent body and pale-tart fruit to it, despite the near-absence (0.03%) of alcohol. It's a fine post-hiking 'baby pale ale' to enjoy anywhere outdoors in the sun. Cheers!


I'll definitely give it another shot, between your comments and I've been hearing a lot of positive reviews from others. It would be nice to have a good non-alc option to throw into the rotation, since sometimes I feel my beer intake is a bit on the high side!
User avatar
BartOwl
Posts: 78
Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:14 pm
Location: King and Beerthurst

Re: What're you drinking right now?

Postby BartOwl » Sun Apr 25, 2021 5:32 pm

Joe Blo Bohemian Pilsner for the Joseph Bloor Brewery. Excellent. Lots of flavour bursting out of this one, including a lager-like bready maltiness and an assertive Saaz presence. It is well balanced and on style.
S. St. Jeb
Bar Fly
Posts: 844
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:44 pm
Location: Burlington, ON

Re: What're you drinking right now?

Postby S. St. Jeb » Tue May 18, 2021 8:29 pm

Ledgend Seven Opus No 7 Tafelbier

This is from a Calgary brewery that has a mix-pack in TBS. This is not generally a preferred style for me, but I quite like this one.
User avatar
shintriad
Bar Fly
Posts: 583
Joined: Thu Jul 15, 2004 8:19 pm
Location: Toronto

Re: What're you lightly drinking?

Postby shintriad » Wed May 19, 2021 8:49 pm

Belgian wrote:Had a few low-ABV brews... the Godspeed Draught-lager style"Baby Svetly" (1.5%) is pretty acceptable for a crushable quaff,

and the Omnipollo KONX (0.3%) tastes almost like a good light sour pale but something in the taste goes very wrong, like it's spoiled or infected.

I'm not expecting the fulness and body of 'beer' in either of these, they are really something else than that to me, but there's no good reason the Omnipollo should taste spoiled.

Image

I tried that Baby Světlý, and it's great for what it is! Thanks for the reco.
seangm
Posts: 350
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:44 pm

Re: What're you drinking right now?

Postby seangm » Thu May 20, 2021 9:02 am

Amsterdam Six Boroughs Imperial Rye Porter, brewed for Toronto Beer Week 2015. This is the oldest bottle of anything from my "cellar" and I was in a why not kind of mood. I recalled reading reports that said this one was infected, and must've tucked it away out of sight for the past 6 years. Happy to say it was quite good, although it did pour with a huge billowing head and slight tartness suggesting a bit of secondary fermentation. It worked as a sort of fruity note that played off of the chocolate and roasty coffee. The bourbon was definitely mellow but still present with oak, spice and vanilla. I wonder how many more bottles are still out there tucked away.
User avatar
Belgian
Bar Towel Legend
Posts: 10019
Joined: Sun Jul 04, 2004 6:15 pm
Location: Earth

Godspeed brewery store

Postby Belgian » Sun Jun 20, 2021 11:09 pm

There will reportedly be more Baby Svetly on 29 June…

Wow, this Godspeed Nachmelený is one of the best DIPA I’ve tasted… and it’s not entirely typical as it is a Czech Double IPA.

Image
In Beerum Veritas
S. St. Jeb
Bar Fly
Posts: 844
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:44 pm
Location: Burlington, ON

Re: What're you drinking right now?

Postby S. St. Jeb » Sat Jul 10, 2021 7:55 pm

Cassel Cousin Eddie Belgian Spiced Ale

The spicing is really nice. This would be a perfect beer at Christmas.

Return to “Random Talk”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron