Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Modern trends

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

duckdown

Post by duckdown »

shintriad wrote:Rorschach makes excellent, and generally very dry fruited sours, although they're a bit on the 'spensive side. Personally, I like a bit of sweetness in my sours, as long as it's balanced, and I think Bellwoods generally does a good job of it.
I’ve been buying em too, the Hedonism line

duckdown

Post by duckdown »

Craig wrote:
duckdown wrote:Really, Jelly Kings being too sweet?! Damn. Literally don't think I've ever said that

I tip my hat to you gents
The next time you're going to have a black currant or whatever jelly King, have a regular one with it and compare. I think you'll see what I mean.
True, I’ve never done it this way. Still, the series is generally very sour for my tastes!

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

JerCraigs wrote:I think the "trends" part of all this is where the issue is. Hazy IPAs, pastry stouts etc. all have examples where there is an early beer in that style that was amazing. Then everyone started doing them including a lot of brewers that are less skilled or don't have that style down.
This part I agree with especially. I've had lots of flavoured beers where you can tell that without the additions, it wouldn't be very good; oftentimes I find all these adjuncts are thrown into the beer to cover up subpar base recipe. I'd be much happier if brewers took the time to refine their process and improve their recipes, but it's a lot easier to throw 4 different fruits, lactose and some vanilla into a beer and call it a day.

This probably compounds why I'm happy that lagers are making a big comeback because it's much more difficult to hide flaws and is a true test of brewing skill. That and at the end of the day I get as much or more enjoyment out of a beautifully made lager, like for example pretty much anything that Godspeed is doing, over heavily flavoured beers. There might be more absolute flavour in an adjunct beer, but it doesn't make up for the complexity you can coax out of just barley, hops and yeast with skilled brewing.

duckdown

Post by duckdown »

Which lagers are worth seeking out right now Sean. I also ordered a 4 of Ice Cold Beer to try

portwood

Post by portwood »

duckdown wrote:Which lagers are worth seeking out right now Sean. I also ordered a 4 of Ice Cold Beer to try
"...pretty much anything that Godspeed is doing..."
@markhamwhisky

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

duckdown wrote:Which lagers are worth seeking out right now Sean. I also ordered a 4 of Ice Cold Beer to try
Well definitely Godspeed as established now. From what I see on their shop right now I'd highly recommend the Otsukaresama dortmunder, it's excellent. Can't go wrong with any of their stuff, but since we're on the topic of lagers. From Dominion City their Built to Last Czech-Style Pale Lager was excellent too, perfect time to order from them since they've got cans of Sunsplit available- one of my favourite IPAs right now (and it usually disappears quickly). I've also been impressed by the Pilsner from Paniza Brewing. I think they're pretty new, but it's solid.

Once I think of some more I'll add it to the list.

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

seangm wrote:
Well definitely Godspeed as established now. From what I see on their shop right now I'd highly recommend the Otsukaresama dortmunder, it's excellent. Can't go wrong with any of their stuff, but since we're on the topic of lagers. From Dominion City their Built to Last Czech-Style Pale Lager was excellent too, perfect time to order from them since they've got cans of Sunsplit available- one of my favourite IPAs right now (and it usually disappears quickly). I've also been impressed by the Pilsner from Paniza Brewing. I think they're pretty new, but it's solid.

Helles Island from Peoples Pint is very solid IMHO. I've also enjoyed Boshkung's Kellerbier, but I have found it a bit inconsistent. Haven't tried it in a while though.

I totally agree with you on traditional lagers being the test of a good brewer. Although a well made naked ale is too. The funny thing is, there are so many bad lagers hiding in plain sight. Usually, it's the obvious flaw of the beer being too young. Do these brewers not realize they need to lager them? :roll:
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

Tapsucker wrote:
seangm wrote:

Helles Island from Peoples Pint is very solid IMHO. I've also enjoyed Boshkung's Kellerbier, but I have found it a bit inconsistent. Haven't tried it in a while though.

I totally agree with you on traditional lagers being the test of a good brewer. Although a well made naked ale is too. The funny thing is, there are so many bad lagers hiding in plain sight. Usually, it's the obvious flaw of the beer being too young. Do these brewers not realize they need to lager them? :roll:
Oh yea, nice choice that People's Pint helles is great. I've found Boshkung inconsistent in general, but I do remember liking the keller when I visited. Might be a case of being best fresh at the source.

Agreed on the ale note, a great one I had recently was Town's Stock Ale, they really nailed it with that and I hope they bring it back soon. It really is true though, I've had plenty of poorly executed lagers that seem rushed to market or have noticeable off flavours/aromas.

duckdown

Post by duckdown »

Any thoughts on Town Breweries Chill as Frig

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

Wellington Helles is great, and they’ve got a dry hoped
Version of it right now as well
Fairweather Donna is available right now and probably the best Pilsner I’ve ever had.
If Willibald still has their lager around it’s really tasty.
Elora’s Lorelei Pilsner is super tasty.
There’s some really good euro lagers at lcbo, and they don’t break the bank. Jever,Czechvar,Pilsner urquel,DAB

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

duckdown wrote:Any thoughts on Town Breweries Chill as Frig
I liked it, really easy drinking kind of a lawnmower beer that I like to drink while working around the house. I'm ordering some more tomorrow since they're releasing a new IPA that will probably be excellent.

Editing to add: Somehow I missed Beyond the Pale's Clean Cut, very solid beer and good price too at $2.88. I've yet to be disappointed by a beer they've put out, they're generally excellent.

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

So over the last few years the "trends" seem to have been IPAs, NEIPAs, and then starting last year, everyone seemed to have some type of sour.

This year? By my observation, there have been quite a few "Mexican Lagers" introduced. Not judging, but definitely not as exciting for me.

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

S. St. Jeb wrote:So over the last few years the "trends" seem to have been IPAs, NEIPAs, and then starting last year, everyone seemed to have some type of sour.

This year? By my observation, there have been quite a few "Mexican Lagers" introduced. Not judging, but definitely not as exciting for me.
I've seen a lot of Mexican lagers pop up for sure, but also variety in type of lager offered seems to be the trend lately. Thinking back to a few years ago a lot of breweries just had some sort of generic "Craft Lager" offering, but are now attempting more regional and stylistic variants. Perhaps not as exciting but I've definitely found a big improvement in quality vs. the afterthought lager most breweries were offering.

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

seangm wrote:
S. St. Jeb wrote:So over the last few years the "trends" seem to have been IPAs, NEIPAs, and then starting last year, everyone seemed to have some type of sour.

I've seen a lot of Mexican lagers pop up for sure, but also variety in type of lager offered seems to be the trend lately. Thinking back to a few years ago a lot of breweries just had some sort of generic "Craft Lager" offering, but are now attempting more regional and stylistic variants. Perhaps not as exciting but I've definitely found a big improvement in quality vs. the afterthought lager most breweries were offering.
The "not as exciting" for me was specific to "Mexican Lagers" which I perceive to be somewhat bland. But I am quite happy to see more lagers in general, especially if they offer something a little different or unique.

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

S. St. Jeb wrote:
seangm wrote:

The "not as exciting" for me was specific to "Mexican Lagers" which I perceive to be somewhat bland. But I am quite happy to see more lagers in general, especially if they offer something a little different or unique.
Which breweries have made Mexican lagers lately?