Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

What're you drinking right now?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Had a few low-ABV brews... the Godspeed Draught-lager style"Baby Svetly" (1.5%) is pretty acceptable for a crushable quaff,

and the Omnipollo KONX (0.3%) tastes almost like a good light sour pale but something in the taste goes very wrong, like it's spoiled or infected.

I'm not expecting the fulness and body of 'beer' in either of these, they are really something else than that to me, but there's no good reason the Omnipollo should taste spoiled.

Last edited by Belgian on Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In Beerum Veritas

shintriad
Bar Fly

Post by shintriad »

Belgian wrote:Had a few low-ABV brews... the Godspeed Draught-lager style"Baby Svetly" (1.5%) is pretty acceptable for a crushable quaff,

and the Omnipollo KONX (0.9%) tastes almost like a good light sour pale but something in the taste goes very wrong, like it's spoiled or infected.

I'm not expecting the fulness and body of 'beer' in either of these, they are really something else than that to me, but there's no good reason the Omnipollo should taste spoiled.
]
Dang, I just ordered a bunch from Godspeed and I guess Baby Svetly wasn't out yet! I'll have to try it someday.

I had the Konx from the LCBO and thought it was one of the best non-alcs I've had...maybe it was a batch thing? Also, I thought it was lower ABV than that, more like 0.3% far as I can tell.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

shintriad wrote:Dang, I just ordered a bunch from Godspeed and I guess Baby Svetly wasn't out yet! I'll have to try it someday.

I had the Konx from the LCBO and thought it was one of the best non-alcs I've had...maybe it was a batch thing? Also, I thought it was lower ABV than that, more like 0.3% far as I can tell.
The Polotomavy and Pivo are also now just out. As are the regular Svetly 12º plus the Vicepni 10º and Tmavy. It's a Czech brew love-fest at the Godspeed brewery right now, six of 'em in the store. Those are pretty much all hits by my book.

Also regrets for the Omnipollo ABV typo, I did link the KONX with the right info. I've seen other KONX ratings that questioned infection of product, to the point of a total drain pour - and I wonder if it's a function of there being no alcohol in the brew keeping it stable with minimal pasteurization? I'm fairly sure it's a great product long before it gets to us... and would try it again if that's the case.
In Beerum Veritas

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

Belgian wrote:
shintriad wrote:Dang, I just ordered a bunch from Godspeed and I guess Baby Svetly wasn't out yet! I'll have to try it someday.

The Polotomavy and Pivo are also now just out. As are the regular Svetly 12º plus the Vicepni 10º and Tmavy. It's a Czech brew love-fest at the Godspeed brewery right now, six of 'em in the store. Those are pretty much all hits by my book.

Also regrets for the Omnipollo ABV typo, I did link the KONX with the right info. I've seen other KONX ratings that questioned infection of product, to the point of a total drain pour - and I wonder if it's a function of there being no alcohol in the brew keeping it stable with minimal pasteurization? I'm fairly sure it's a great product long before it gets to us... and would try it again if that's the case.
I had a friend mention that he's found a lot of the Omnipollo and Mikkeller stuff coming out of Brunswick to have a sort of papery oxidized note. I hadn't noticed it until more recently, I was drinking a Fresh Start and definitely picked up on it. I've also come across some less than fresh inventory on several occasions, so maybe shelf stability is a general issue. To me I definitely get a distinct "house" aroma to the Omnipollo and Mikkeller beers, so I'm curious if anyone else has picked up on anything like that.

Regarding the KONX, I was lucky enough to not have your experience, however I found the hop profile to have such a strong floral perfume-y note to the point that I didn't enjoy it. I don't typically mind floral flavours but this was very much a scented candle, cosmetic-like perfume note that was very intense.

beerstodiscover
Bar Fly

Post by beerstodiscover »

Great Lakes Brewery Beard of Zeus (2014) — I remember picking this up and being delighted by the "best AFTER Dec 31, 2014" label. That trend never took off. For me, barley wines are very hit and miss, this one is still a hit with lots of barrel, bourbon and malty goodness enduring after 7 years in the cellar. Not hot at all. Josh Rubin was right: Beard of Zeus a potent ale which rewards patience.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

I love that beer. I wish Half hours on earth would put out more (any?) Beers of that style, their brewer made that for and won a Toronto beer week competition with that recipe.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

seangm wrote:I had a friend mention that he's found a lot of the Omnipollo and Mikkeller stuff coming out of Brunswick to have a sort of papery oxidized note....
Regarding the KONX, I was lucky enough to not have your experience....
Yes that very light cardboardy oxidized thing was there. Just enough to be a little annoying.

In the spirit of a fair try, I bought one more can of Omnipollo KONX which to me seemed better... then I picked up another 12 cans, because I'm enjoying this brew!

You mentioned a very perfumey waxy florality which I wasn't really getting so that's interesting. The profile of the hops and the light tartness grows on me, because at 'cool room temperature' this one actually manages to get a decent body and pale-tart fruit to it, despite the near-absence (0.03%) of alcohol. It's a fine post-hiking 'baby pale ale' to enjoy anywhere outdoors in the sun. Cheers!
In Beerum Veritas

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

Belgian wrote:
seangm wrote:I had a friend mention that he's found a lot of the Omnipollo and Mikkeller stuff coming out of Brunswick to have a sort of papery oxidized note....
Regarding the KONX, I was lucky enough to not have your experience....
Yes that very light cardboardy oxidized thing was there. Just enough to be a little annoying.

In the spirit of a fair try, I bought one more can of Omnipollo KONX which to me seemed better... then I picked up another 12 cans, because I'm enjoying this brew!

You mentioned a very perfumey waxy florality which I wasn't really getting so that's interesting. The profile of the hops and the light tartness grows on me, because at 'cool room temperature' this one actually manages to get a decent body and pale-tart fruit to it, despite the near-absence (0.03%) of alcohol. It's a fine post-hiking 'baby pale ale' to enjoy anywhere outdoors in the sun. Cheers!
I'll definitely give it another shot, between your comments and I've been hearing a lot of positive reviews from others. It would be nice to have a good non-alc option to throw into the rotation, since sometimes I feel my beer intake is a bit on the high side!

BartOwl

Post by BartOwl »

Joe Blo Bohemian Pilsner for the Joseph Bloor Brewery. Excellent. Lots of flavour bursting out of this one, including a lager-like bready maltiness and an assertive Saaz presence. It is well balanced and on style.

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

Ledgend Seven Opus No 7 Tafelbier

This is from a Calgary brewery that has a mix-pack in TBS. This is not generally a preferred style for me, but I quite like this one.

shintriad
Bar Fly

Post by shintriad »

Belgian wrote:Had a few low-ABV brews... the Godspeed Draught-lager style"Baby Svetly" (1.5%) is pretty acceptable for a crushable quaff,

and the Omnipollo KONX (0.3%) tastes almost like a good light sour pale but something in the taste goes very wrong, like it's spoiled or infected.

I tried that Baby Světlý, and it's great for what it is! Thanks for the reco.

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

Amsterdam Six Boroughs Imperial Rye Porter, brewed for Toronto Beer Week 2015. This is the oldest bottle of anything from my "cellar" and I was in a why not kind of mood. I recalled reading reports that said this one was infected, and must've tucked it away out of sight for the past 6 years. Happy to say it was quite good, although it did pour with a huge billowing head and slight tartness suggesting a bit of secondary fermentation. It worked as a sort of fruity note that played off of the chocolate and roasty coffee. The bourbon was definitely mellow but still present with oak, spice and vanilla. I wonder how many more bottles are still out there tucked away.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

There will reportedly be more Baby Svetly on 29 June…

Wow, this Godspeed Nachmelený is one of the best DIPA I’ve tasted… and it’s not entirely typical as it is a Czech Double IPA.

In Beerum Veritas

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

Cassel Cousin Eddie Belgian Spiced Ale

The spicing is really nice. This would be a perfect beer at Christmas.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

I'm not expecting the fulness and body of 'beer' in either of these, they are really something else than that to me, but there's no good reason the Omnipollo should taste spoiled.]
Had many fine cans of Omnipollo.
Lately gravitating to the Partake Pale and Partake IPA. ($2 at LCBO.)

When I get used to the (alcohol-free) light body of these Partake brews these are really nice. These don't 'count' towards the alcohol or calorie consumption of regular beer so I can have them any time.

Also from Rowe Farms I have found the Partake Stout to be pretty acceptable. The Red is light and simple yet surprisingly tasty. The Blond is bland but OK. I'll be putting more Red in the fridge... and some of the Partake Stout (Rowe Farms) and the Big Drop Stout as well (from LCBO.)
In Beerum Veritas