Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

LCBO strike

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

DragonOfBlood wrote:
SteelbackGuy wrote:
DragonOfBlood wrote:So the overpaid stock monkeys of the LCBO think they have it bad and are threatening strike? Ridiculous........... Stock boys and cashiers at regular stores make minimum or just above minimum.
And just for your information, it isn't only the workers in the stores that, in yoyr words, "think they have it bad and are threatening strike". It is thousands of workers. Ranging from stores, warehouses, IT departments, reception, LCBO infoline phone reps, wine consultants, assistant managers, maintenance, ....I can go on and on.
Awww, so the ones that make even more money for even less work think they have it bad too. Allow me to retrieve the world's tiniest violin.

Come on Steelback Guy, do the right thing and strike! Maybe then we can get a proper system for the sale of beverage alcohol in this province set up.
At the risk of feeding the troll, again, you're wrong. A lot of those people make the same wage, but some less, some a little more, some a lot more. It is quite varied.

I for one, can tell you that I am almost 100% certain that we will not be striking.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

Ale's What Cures Ya
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Ale's What Cures Ya »

SteelbackGuy wrote: At the risk of feeding the troll, again, you're wrong. A lot of those people make the same wage, but some less, some a little more, some a lot more. It is quite varied.
Boohoo.
SteelbackGuy wrote:
I for one, can tell you that I am almost 100% certain that we will not be striking.
Too bad. Of course not striking makes the most sense. Wouldn't want to jeopardize your precious monopoly now would we?

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

DragonOfBlood wrote:
SteelbackGuy wrote: At the risk of feeding the troll, again, you're wrong. A lot of those people make the same wage, but some less, some a little more, some a lot more. It is quite varied.
Boohoo.
SteelbackGuy wrote:
Too bad. Of course not striking makes the most sense. Wouldn't want to jeopardize your precious monopoly now would we?
Actually, striking makes the most sense if you look at bargaining tools, or use thereof. It is the strongest bargaining tool we have as a collective. Going on strike would literally cripple the employer (which is why I can assume we've never been on strike before).

My reasons are my own, but in a nutshell are as follows:

1) Strike pay is peanuts, and I for one cannot get by on it.

2) In these tough economic times, going on strike would seem(and is) greedy. Here we are making good money, and we have the audacity to go on strike, while thousands of other Ontarians can't even find work.

3)We are a service based industry. How can we be, when going on strike would essentially provide a great disservice to our customers.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

Ale's What Cures Ya
Seasoned Drinker

SteelbackGuy wrote: Actually, striking makes the most sense if you look at bargaining tools, or use thereof. It is the strongest bargaining tool we have as a collective. Going on strike would literally cripple the employer (which is why I can assume we've never been on strike before).

2) In these tough economic times, going on strike would seem(and is) greedy. Here we are making good money, and we have the audacity to go on strike, while thousands of other Ontarians can't even find work.

3)We are a service based industry. How can we be, when going on strike would essentially provide a great disservice to our customers.
Striking only makes sense when you don't control a monopoly. You guys don't have to strike to get the higher ups to bend to your will because if you do go on strike, there aren't any other companies that can come in and fill the void caused by an LCBO strike.

Addressing only point 3, the entire LCBO system already provides a great disservice to its customers.

Here's a question, do you feel you would be fully capable and finding and holding a similar position in a private retail store if the LCBO were eliminated?

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

DragonOfBlood wrote:
SteelbackGuy wrote: Actually, striking makes the most sense if you look at bargaining tools, or use thereof. It is the strongest bargaining tool we have as a collective. Going on strike would literally cripple the employer (which is why I can assume we've never been on strike before).

Striking only makes sense when you don't control a monopoly. You guys don't have to strike to get the higher ups to bend to your will because if you do go on strike, there aren't any other companies that can come in and fill the void caused by an LCBO strike.

Addressing only point 3, the entire LCBO system already provides a great disservice to its customers.

Here's a question, do you feel you would be fully capable and finding and holding a similar position in a private retail store if the LCBO were eliminated?
We all have our own opinions, and as such, are entitled to them. We obviously don't see eye to eye, and that is ok with me. The world would be pretty boring if we were all the same.

To answer your question though, yes, I would be able to find similar work, at a similar pay, or more pay. Actually I'm working on that now because I'm sick of waiting for a full time job with the LCBO. But I can thank them for paying for my wine gulid certification, which will being me to higher ground in about a years time. :)

Ale's What Cures Ya
Seasoned Drinker

So when you leave the LCBO system will you join the fight to end it?

BTW, ever been under the sycamore trees?

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

DragonOfBlood wrote:So when you leave the LCBO system will you join the fight to end it?

BTW, ever been under the sycamore trees?

I haven't decided. I don't think I'll fight it per se, as many others do. But I might. But they are my employer, so I try to back them as such, as anyone else might do as well.
They've been good to me (in terms of pay, opportunity, experience). They've paid for me to take several French language courses, Spanish classes, and they are paying for my wine guild certification from Level 1 (already done), Level 2( currently finishing), and the advanced certification level 3 (next year), with the level 4 diploma the year after that. So I can't complain I guess. I just want more hours right now.
Yeah, so I really can't say. :)

Interesting question about the Sycamore trees..... I haven't been under one. .....................But I know a fellow who has. One day, in the Breeze, perhaps I'll see Mr. Lynch in the trees........under the sycamore trees. :wink:

$

Post by $ »

DragonOfBlood wrote:So when you leave the LCBO system will you join the fight to end it?

so..., how do you "fight" it?
We gonna storm the Gardiner expressway?

Ale's What Cures Ya
Seasoned Drinker

$ wrote:

Was thinking more along the lines of getting the issue the attention it deserves through contacting MPPs and such, but if you want to go full blown revolution I'm there. :D

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

Saw on CP24 that the vote is today.
lister

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

lister wrote:Saw on CP24 that the vote is today.

Vote was yesterday and today.

I expect it will be almost 100% in favor of a strike. Which doesn't mean we strike, it means we use the result as a bargaining tool.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

$ wrote:
The best way we can 'fight it' is to support the good people that DO work there, and to consistently share critical debate about what is wrong with the system - including the "other" (not-so-great) employees, hours, service, selection and general policy - basically anything at odds with the public's interest. If it pisses you off, it may be something worth talking about in a constructive way - on BarTowel, with people you meet, with the broadcast media, with the lcbo head contacts, or with people in political office. Just start talking!

Information is the strongest tool we can put out there, and the greatest threat to the overweaning, systemic abuse of power.
In Beerum Veritas

Ale's What Cures Ya
Seasoned Drinker

Let's go strike!

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

DragonOfBlood wrote:Let's go strike!
Even though the employees have no doubt voted between 90-100% in favor of a strike, it is simply a bargaining tool. A tool that the union will use as leverage.

And even if the employer doesn't see the threat of a strike as...well a threat........I am certain the ministry of finance and the provincial government will more than likely force the employer to bargain with us, as they cannot afford one day of lost revenue.

Ale's What Cures Ya
Seasoned Drinker

SteelbackGuy wrote:
DragonOfBlood wrote:Let's go strike!
Even though the employees have no doubt voted between 90-100% in favor of a strike, it is simply a bargaining tool. A tool that the union will use as leverage.

And even if the employer doesn't see the threat of a strike as...well a threat........I am certain the ministry of finance and the provincial government will more than likely force the employer to bargain with us, as they cannot afford one day of lost revenue.
While your arguments on why the LCBO employees won't strike are logical and well thought out, they still won't prevent me from hoping to high heaven that you guys do hit the picket lines. :D:D:D

I'd stock up on ale, listen to "More News From Nowhere" on repeat and laugh as I watch the sheeple that allow the LCBO to exist run around like decapitated chickens until the realization that the LCBO is a scam strikes them with all the ferocity of a lightning bolt.