Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

LCBO strike

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

nickelass
Bar Fly

LCBO strike

Post by nickelass »

Seems if this even happens it will be in June. Let's try and not turn this into a bash the LCBO thread please. =D

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/news/Summe ... story.html
[/b][/code][/list]

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Jon Walker »

nickelass wrote:Seems if this even happens it will be in June. Let's try and not turn this into a bash the LCBO thread please. =D
F**kers. And since you asked us not to bash them, I meant forkers.
I don't always piss in a bottle but when I do...I prefer to call it Dos Equis.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

I don't think it will come down to a strike. We haven't even voted yet. This happened last time too. The media blew it up and everyone went nuts stocking up on stuff, and we never went on strike.

It won't come down to a strike, believe me. Even though our employer wants to do silly stuff like take away Saturdays off from people,(how many head office people work Saturdays.......wait.....they are closed!) we still won't strike. It's a non issue at this point.

I am also a Union Stewart with my local, so if anything happens, I'll be able to report to everyone if I think anything is amiss.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Shitty jobs as hiring practive are a very good thing to strike over; how it all got this shitty, why, and who's accountable is all a very good question.

Steelback? Anybody else?

(PS I just want Prima Pils before these fine people sit out their token five-day strike.)

An extended strike would really mess up the many alcohol suppliers as much as anybody - the LCBO is too big to go on strike without accountability to the impact it has as the World's Largest Buyer of liquor. That accountability comes back to Ontario's ownership so the province are forced to play ball if they WANT the LCBO in the first place, which they do.

"The LCBO has never gone on strike." No wonder! It would bring the tunderin' bejeezuz down upon their heads from all sides, not least from consumer outrage in the prettiest BBQ and patio season of the year.

Still, hope the workers who need it can get a bit better treatment. 20k a year is awfully basic, I don't think that pays for basic living actually.
In Beerum Veritas

$

Post by $ »

Kind of hoping they do strike. Might open people's minds a bit to the private sector.

As for 60% of jobs being causal and no full time benefits (I'm assuming that means there are part time benefits), so what.
20.8k for casual work? How many hours is that? Or is it 40 hours a week, which would be about 10.40 /hour.

Is it possible a private liquor sector would actually provide better jobs than the LCBO? I thought one of the arguments for keeping it was the great jobs it provides people.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

$ wrote: As for 60% of jobs being causal and no full time benefits (I'm assuming that means there are part time benefits), so what.
20.8k for casual work? How many hours is that? Or is it 40 hours a week, which would be about 10.40 /hour..
Hmm... quiet.... I guess Union interests prevents anyone from tipping their hand on the facts of wage/hours distribution? Negotiations can be touchy bears to deal with.

But I'd have to agree 20.8K for casual work might allow plenty of time to do other things or supplement other casual work. Not to disparage any genuine frustrations staffers may be up against (speak freely if there are any thoughts - or log on as an alias like 'hedgehog' or 'beaver.')
In Beerum Veritas

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

$ wrote:Kind of hoping they do strike. Might open people's minds a bit to the private sector.

As for 60% of jobs being causal and no full time benefits (I'm assuming that means there are part time benefits), so what.
20.8k for casual work? How many hours is that? Or is it 40 hours a week, which would be about 10.40 /hour.

Is it possible a private liquor sector would actually provide better jobs than the LCBO? I thought one of the arguments for keeping it was the great jobs it provides people.
There are no part time benefits.
I made 24,000 last year. I didn't work 40 hour weeks though. I get 30 hours over 6 days.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

SteelbackGuy wrote: There are no part time benefits.
I made 24,000 last year. I didn't work 40 hour weeks though. I get 30 hours over 6 days.
In my view, that's about 3.7 days of pay but requiring 6 days of travel to and from work - so it's effectively 34 or 36 actual hours if you added in the 'unpaid extra travel time' for six rather than 3.7 days.

Maybe what the Union needs is minimum-hour calls, and pay premiums on more than five days worked in a given week (or equally, penalty paid for less than two consecutive days off.)
In Beerum Veritas

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Belgian wrote:
In my view, that's about 3.7 days of pay but requiring 6 days of travel to and from work - so it's effectively 34 or 36 actual hours if you added in the 'unpaid extra travel time' for six rather than 3.7 days.

Maybe what the Union needs is minimum-hour calls, and pay premiums on more than five days worked in a given week (or equally, penalty paid for less than two consecutive days off.)

That's a good point. I take the us one hour each way to and from work.

The minimum shift is 3 hours, though we want to up it by 1 hour, to make it 4 hour minimum.
In rural areas, casuals have to drive up to an hour to a store, just to work 3 hours. It is hardly worth it for them I guess.

The employer is currently in arbitration level 4 (which is the highest) because they haven't been filling full time positions for some time now. In the London area, they currently owe us 11 positions. The longer they avoid creating these positions, the more money the district managers and the regional directors can show their bisses they have saved.

Funny thing is, some of that money is then given back to them in the form of a bonus.

$

Post by $ »

I have to assume you are hoping for a full time job there one day?? or you have other work as well and just really enjoy working with booze

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

$ wrote:
I have to assume you are hoping for a full time job there one day?? or you have other work as well and just really enjoy working with booze

Yeah, the idea is that you work up to a full time position. Usually takes about 5-6 years, but it is well worth it once you get it. But at the rate they are delaying filling the positions, it is taking much longer. I used to have to work two jobs, but now I just do the LCBO, and I am taking some wine schooling so that I can do something else. I am also starting a colsulting business in the next year or two.

Ale's What Cures Ya
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Ale's What Cures Ya »

So the overpaid stock monkeys of the LCBO think they have it bad and are threatening strike? Ridiculous. The worst part is they know they have the government by the balls and can make our weak nanny state bend to their will.

Stock boys and cashiers at regular stores make minimum or just above minimum. I've never been privy to the extra special training or skills LCBO workers must possess that make them worth paying more than minimum wage. Maybe they just aren't required to demonstrate that special knowledge and skillset for customers.

I agree with $, maybe a strike would be a good thing and the sheeple that make up the majority of the population of this province would finally have their eyes opened to private retail.

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

Two words: Essential Service!

No wait, brewing is an essential service. Not sure a retail monopoly is. :-?

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

DragonOfBlood wrote:So the overpaid stock monkeys of the LCBO think they have it bad and are threatening strike? Ridiculous........... Stock boys and cashiers at regular stores make minimum or just above minimum.

I'd appreciate it if you could just, for once, take the high road, instead of taking every possible opportunity to take a cheap shot at every LCBO employee, every single chance you get. Others don't feel the need to do so, and we still have plenty of live discussion. We may not agree on everything, but this whole "stock monkey" thing is getting pretty old, and it is really quite petty. I, for one, provide my customers with excellent service and have a wealth of knowledge when it comes to beer, wine and spirits. I'm no stock monkey.

And just for your information, it isn't only the workers in the stores that, in yoyr words, "think they have it bad and are threatening strike". It is thousands of workers. Ranging from stores, warehouses, IT departments, reception, LCBO infoline phone reps, wine consultants, assistant managers, maintenance, ....I can go on and on.

Grouping all of these people into a category of "stock monkey" simply shows ignorance on your part. Please, let's grow up and have some solid discussions.....not some name calling 5th grade bullshit.

Ale's What Cures Ya
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Ale's What Cures Ya »

SteelbackGuy wrote:
DragonOfBlood wrote:So the overpaid stock monkeys of the LCBO think they have it bad and are threatening strike? Ridiculous........... Stock boys and cashiers at regular stores make minimum or just above minimum.
And just for your information, it isn't only the workers in the stores that, in yoyr words, "think they have it bad and are threatening strike". It is thousands of workers. Ranging from stores, warehouses, IT departments, reception, LCBO infoline phone reps, wine consultants, assistant managers, maintenance, ....I can go on and on.
Awww, so the ones that make even more money for even less work think they have it bad too. Allow me to retrieve the world's tiniest violin.

Come on Steelback Guy, do the right thing and strike! Maybe then we can get a proper system for the sale of beverage alcohol in this province set up.