Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Lagers

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

lagerale

Post by lagerale »

Staropramen is a nice treat once in a while, but like many, drink more ales, wheats and other styles before lagers....

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

lagerale wrote:Staropramen is a nice treat once in a while, but like many, drink more ales, wheats and other styles before lagers....
Staropramen and Pils Urquell are my daily drinking beers in the warmer weather. I tried to get into the Kozel, but I find it has an offputting metallic twang in the finish that I do not care for.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

carguy

Post by carguy »

When we go someplace like camping, ball game, neighbours BBQ etc, and I want something that is easy drinking right from the bottle, I'll usually pick up some Harp. I know it's a macro lager, and not as good as some of the others mentioned here so far, but it does the job. I might only buy two or three six pack a year, but if I'm shopping "swilling lager" that is usually my go to beer.

Matty D

Post by Matty D »

carguy wrote:When we go someplace like camping, ball game, neighbours BBQ etc, and I want something that is easy drinking right from the bottle, shopping "swilling lager" that is usually my go to beer.
I do the same thing, though I enter the store with sunglasses on, hat pulled down low and don't make direct eye contact :wink: Moosehead is a decent lager for the quantity vs. quality and at times I will sink as low as Lakeport when I really require a large volume.

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

Matty D wrote:
carguy wrote:When we go someplace like camping, ball game, neighbours BBQ etc, and I want something that is easy drinking right from the bottle, shopping "swilling lager" that is usually my go to beer.
I do the same thing, though I enter the store with sunglasses on, hat pulled down low and don't make direct eye contact :wink: Moosehead is a decent lager for the quantity vs. quality and at times I will sink as low as Lakeport when I really require a large volume.
have you tried Muskoka Lager? its the same price as Lakeport.

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

matt7215 wrote:
Matty D wrote:
Muskoka Lager is good, Maclays isn't bad either in Buck and a Bit beer bargains
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

Some interesting recs, but I'm surprised that no one has mentioned one of my favourite readily-available lagers - Sam Adams. I think this is a brilliantly made beer, and one of the most drinkable brews I've come across.

lagerale

Post by lagerale »

Bobsy wrote:Some interesting recs, but I'm surprised that no one has mentioned one of my favourite readily-available lagers - Sam Adams. I think this is a brilliantly made beer, and one of the most drinkable brews I've come across.
Good call on the Sam Adams! I forgot about it, but have enjoyed in the past on numberous occasions...those Americans make some nice lagers....

viggo
Bar Fly

Post by viggo »

I dig Sam Adams Lager in bottles, but if they still have it on tap at bistro get a pint. Amazingly good on tap.

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

It's nice to have the Sam Adams as a reliable stand-by whenever traveling in the US. Sometimes I find it a little sweet though.

pootz
Beer Superstar

Post by pootz »

Ayinger Jahrhundert-Bier or their Oktober Fest-Märzen or Great Lakes Dortmunder Gold. Best light lagers I had on tap or bottle

Second best was some fresh Budvar I had on tap in the States.

Daily quaffing lager is either Heuther Werzberger or Lion lager. When fresh (which is usual) they are the best rendition of a Dortmunder you can get here.
Last edited by pootz on Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aventinus rules!

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

Heuther Werzberger is a really sexy lager. Id stop by the brewpub everyday for pints of that one!! Great call pootz!!

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

matt7215 wrote:Heuther Werzberger is a really sexy lager. Id stop by the brewpub everyday for pints of that one!! Great call pootz!!

I'll third that notion. Was just there last week to get some and man, it did not disappoint.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

Matty D

Post by Matty D »

matt7215 wrote:
Matty D wrote:
carguy wrote:
Can't say I have, will have to try that one out. I do like having a cheaply priced fall back beer that tastes decent.

pootz
Beer Superstar

Post by pootz »

matt7215 wrote:Heuther Werzberger is a really sexy lager. Id stop by the brewpub everyday for pints of that one!! Great call pootz!!
The key here is it is a Dortmunder style approximation carried off well with mostly domestic malts.

Dortmunder is an under appreciate/ represented style in this market.

All we have is the pasteurized half-stale DAB the gummint dairy bar imports...I prefer fresh Lion or Werzberger to a blandish DAB any day.
Aventinus rules!