Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Green Flash WC IPA coming this summer to LCBO

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

Mr.X wrote:I purchased last night despite the warnings - I really wanted to support NAC having the balls to bring it to Ontario - but as stated by everyone already the beer is a total mess. Full of particulate and close to zero hop flavour or aroma.

Funny as I have some Runiation that I purchased in August/bottled in May and was sitting on a warm shelf in upstate New York that while clearly not "fresh" still expodes with hop flavour and aroma. Really makes me wonder what happened to the Green Flash.

Just disapointing all around. Amazing beer brought in only to see it langush in red tape causing it to become less than a shell of its former self.
Ruination will survive anything. A while ago someone bought a bottle at volo from '09 and let me try some, and it was still hoppy - probably not "burn the roof of your mouth off" hoppy, but pretty hoppy.
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Funny as I have some Runiation that I purchased in August/bottled in May and was sitting on a warm shelf in upstate New York that while clearly not "fresh" still expodes with hop flavour and aroma. Really makes me wonder what happened to the Green Flash.
I am no zymurgist, but I wonder if it's just the specific organic chemistry of the two beers. Some IPAs just seem more fragile than others, almost intentionally since it gives that particular hop character.

I'm amazed how well Ruination holds up, but they sure add a lot of hops for your money.
In Beerum Veritas

dale cannon

Post by dale cannon »

Belgian wrote:
I am no zymurgist, but I wonder if it's just the specific organic chemistry of the two beers. Some IPAs just seem more fragile than others, almost intentionally since it gives that particular hop character.

I'm amazed how well Ruination holds up, but they sure add a lot of hops for your money.
Excerpt from an article by Glenn Tinseth in Brewing Techniques, Jan./Feb. 1994:

Once you have achieved the Holy Grail of hoppiness, and the bottle is capped or the keg is sealed, hop character begins its inevitable downhill slide. According to Peacock and Deinzer, the two main ways in which hop oil components in finished beer can be lost are migration into the packaging material and chemical degradation. They write (2),

"The major mechanism for the loss of hop aroma compounds from beer appears to be chemical degradation. The most likely pathways for degradation of terpenoid and sesquiterpenoid compounds are reaction with oxygen in the headspace of the bottle and acid hydrolysis."

They go on to say that bottle cap liners tend to absorb many hop compounds, especially hydrocarbons and longer chain ketones and esters. Hop oil alcohols appear not to be absorbed well by cap liners. Because we can do nothing about acid hydrolysis, this diagnosis points to a rigorous elimination of oxygen from all beer packages and to the use of a nonabsorptive bottle cap liner. Oxygen scavenger caps are available (PureSeal, Zapata Technologies, Hazleton, Pennsylvania), but their performance with respect to absorption of hop oil compounds has not yet been tested.

To look further at the possibility that some beers are more fragile than others, all else being equal (packaging, storage conditions, etc.), some hop flavour and aroma compounds are more or less susceptible to chemical degradation than others. Each beer will have a different concentration and profile of hop flavour and aroma compounds depending on extraction technique, quanity used, hop variety(s) used, etc. And so all else being equal, it is natural to assume that the hoppiness of some beers will be more stable than for others.
That's the way she goes. Sometimes she goes, sometimes it doesn't. She didn't go. That's the way she goes.

heebes

Post by heebes »

this is an absolutely abysmal ipa here in ontario right now....

figured id at least buy a 4 pack to support the cause and hopefully get a fresher stock in but man, this is gonna be rough. all malty, syrupy, floaties, no hops whatsoever... damn the lcbo and its red tape bullshit

TwoPint

Post by TwoPint »

heebes wrote:this is an absolutely abysmal ipa here in ontario right now....
I don't know if I lucked out on the lottery but my four-pack was far from abysmal. Over-expensive and not fresh for sure but far from a drain-pour.

heebes

Post by heebes »

None of the bottles had a date on them. Maybe its an even older boittling than the May one?

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

TwoPint wrote:I don't know if I lucked out on the lottery but my four-pack was far from abysmal. Over-expensive and not fresh for sure but far from a drain-pour.
Found a single bottle in the $2 bin, which I thought was a steal, and this was my experience as well. Not fresh, bitter without any floaralness and kinda syrupy, but far from abysmal; I drank it all. That being said, I won't be buying a four pack.

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

TwoPint wrote: I don't know if I lucked out on the lottery but my four-pack was far from abysmal. Over-expensive and not fresh for sure but far from a drain-pour.
Same. Drank my bottles at just above room temp and found them to be hoppier and oilier than anything else in this market besides Red Racer and fresh Mad Tom. Mind you, they came straight out of the case (no St. Lawrence-style warming in the window) and were slightly chilled when I bought them (don't know how since they were just sitting in the back room).
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

clockwerk

Post by clockwerk »

cratez wrote:
TwoPint wrote: I don't know if I lucked out on the lottery but my four-pack was far from abysmal. Over-expensive and not fresh for sure but far from a drain-pour.
Same. Drank my bottles at just above room temp and found them to be hoppier and oilier than anything else in this market besides Red Racer and fresh Mad Tom. Mind you, they came straight out of the case (no St. Lawrence-style warming in the window) and were slightly chilled when I bought them (don't know how since they were just sitting in the back room).
Agreed. However, although I found it had a ton of bitterness, and was quite oily, the flavour of the hops had disappeard compared to Red Racer, or Smash Bomb or Mad Tom.

At 12.75 a 4 pack, this has no leg to stand on. However, calling it a "drain pour" I agree is truly excessive. It's past its prime, not infected.
I keep signing here, but it's just ink all over my screen. I think it's broken.

strowlands8

Post by strowlands8 »

Mine tasted fine. Not ridiculously hoppy but I enjoyed as much as most of the IPAs we get here in Ontario.

Also I bought some in Buffalo last weekend, and I thought the stuff I bought at the LC tasted better. That being said didn't see a bottle date on either one.

ErkLR

Post by ErkLR »

I forgot about this one, but I just saw this that someone posted on the NAC FB post.
http://www.greenflashbrew.com/news-flas ... ontent=268

Bottles without a date may be older than May 21st. I assume this applies more to stuff you may have purchased in the US. Hard to tell if unlabelled bottles in the LCBO shipment were from a bit earlier in May or just problems with the new stamper missing parts of the bottling run.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

ErkLR wrote:Bottles without a date may be older than May 21st.
The devil you know. Even though the LCBO is much more officious than efficient when it comes to getting us product, at least we have some idea of when stores get a particular beer and how long it's been around.

American stores might try to sell you LAST year's IPA or Weissbier - the kind of leftover stock which the LC would likely have got rid of.
In Beerum Veritas

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

Belgian wrote:
American stores might try to sell you LAST year's IPA or Weissbier - the kind of leftover stock which the LC would likely have got rid of.
I find this in Quebec too...A couple of years ago, bought a Vache Folle IPA at Peluso that was over a year old.... :-?
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

got a few of these today - there were only 2 bottles sitting on the shelf

I'm willing to look past the date since the LCBO was kind enough to sell them to me as 'DOMESTIC BEER $2.00'

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

I've had this beer a number of times (never knowing how fresh it was since they only recently started dating the bottles) and the batch from May at the LCBO tastes pretty damn good to me. I'd go as far to say that even in it's current state, it's the best/hoppiest IPA the LCBO has ever had on it's shelves.

Can't wait until this stuff starts coming in fresh. Is the plan for this beer to be a regular listing at the LCBO?