Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

La Chouffe, Maredsous, Ommegang

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

St Veronus

La Chouffe, Maredsous, Ommegang

Post by St Veronus »

Interesting meeting today with two fellows from Horizon Beers. They are the new agents for Duvel and De Koninck in Ontario. They tell me they will be listing Maredsous Brune, La Chouffe and Ommegang Hennepin at TBS in both bottle and keg this month. It'll be great if they pull it off.

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Man, things really ARE changing in Ontario. If someone had of told me that Hennepin was coming to TBS a year ago, I would have laughed them out of the room. But with the amount of new products that we've been seeing lately, it no longer seems unfathomable. I'll defintely buy all three if and when they come. Thanks for sharing the great news.
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Bytowner »

Hennepin? Time to take out another mortgage I guess... :-?

Jonah Hex

Post by Jonah Hex »

Well, it looks like some of them are here... if only in keg, at least.

Houblon Chouffe
http://www.thebeerstore.ca/beers/houblon-chouffe

La Chouffe
http://www.thebeerstore.ca/beers/la-chouffe

Liefmans Fruitesse
http://www.thebeerstore.ca/beers/liefmans-fruitesse

Maredsous Brune
http://www.thebeerstore.ca/beers/maredsous-brune

And most are on tap at WEST 50 POURHOUSE in mississauga.
From http://twitter.com/West50Pourhouse
30 OctWest50 Pourhouse ‏@West50Pourhouse
@blarkness no pumpkin ale this year! three new great beers from belgium! including a mixed berry, aged in a cask and spontaneously fermented.

30 OctWest50 Pourhouse ‏@West50Pourhouse
#NewBeersReadyToBeTapped..from Brasserie d'Achouffe we introduce La Chouffe & Chouffe Houblon.. as well as Liefman's Fruitesse.
Also, FYI:
27 OctWest50 Pourhouse ‏@West50Pourhouse
In case you missed our tweets yesterday @InnisandgunnCA new Treacle Porter is now on tap. Get it while you can!
Scott T.
No, I will not "beam you up."

Kish84
Bar Fly

Post by Kish84 »

Don't mean to thread jack, but how is West 50 now?? I haven't been, but was told a lot of beer goes off because of the huge tap list. My cousin just found out about it, he enjoyed it and wants to take some of us there as he knows I like "different" beers, and the others would be able to find something to have. He strictly drinks Molson Ex, but enjoyed the Fosters he had :oops: so I don't know what to make of his recommendation.

dale cannon

Post by dale cannon »

Kish84 wrote:Don't mean to thread jack, but how is West 50 now?? I haven't been, but was told a lot of beer goes off because of the huge tap list. My cousin just found out about it, he enjoyed it and wants to take some of us there as he knows I like "different" beers, and the others would be able to find something to have. He strictly drinks Molson Ex, but enjoyed the Fosters he had :oops: so I don't know what to make of his recommendation.
My office used to be walking distance from West 50, so I was there often. And unfortunately, I did find that the beers were often not very fresh. This was obviously more pronounced with beers like hefeweizen (Denison's likely wouldn't be happy with how their beer often tasted there).

In any event, it's been over a year since I was last there. It still isn't too far from my office, and the availability of La Chouffe and Houblon Chouffe on tap are great reasons to re-evaluate!
That's the way she goes. Sometimes she goes, sometimes it doesn't. She didn't go. That's the way she goes.

Jonah Hex

Post by Jonah Hex »

Kish84 wrote:Don't mean to thread jack, but how is West 50 now?? I haven't been, but was told a lot of beer goes off because of the huge tap list. My cousin just found out about it, he enjoyed it and wants to take some of us there as he knows I like "different" beers, and the others would be able to find something to have. He strictly drinks Molson Ex, but enjoyed the Fosters he had :oops: so I don't know what to make of his recommendation.
Well, I was there today, and I came home happy. :)

It depends what one wants in a bar/restaurant. I think it's a great place for someone who likes a wide range of on tap beers, a little bit a craft beers and some quality imports, while also having a selection of macros ... for those who don't know any better. ;)
Scott T.
No, I will not "beam you up."

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

anyone know if we are gonna see bottle from any of the breweries mentioned in this thread??