Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Meantime London Porter

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Meantime London Porter

Post by JeffPorter »

A: reddish brown like a coke or a Guinness. Nice creamy fluffy looking tan head that sticks around for while and has really nice lacing.

S: Little restrained in the aroma - bit of coffee and dark chocolate but I'm also getting some dark fruits as well. I should say, sexy bottle, except for the ugly mandated white sticker that tells us there's barley in this drink.

T: Creamy velvety, and smooth - as though this is what a strong porter should taste like. Lots of chocolate with a little less coffee followed by that interesting dark fruit flavour. The hops are definitely present and "Englishy" but add a nice flowery/peppery finish.

M: Again, creamy, maybe a little over carbonated, but that could be due to the bottle conditioning. A little thinner than GLB's Robust Porter.

O: Ultimately, I prefer GLB's version, and this one is definitely less American, but if you're running low on the GLB, this one is a steal at 6.85, IMHO. Worth trying, and worth buying an extra couple for later.
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

bestbitterman

Post by bestbitterman »

Sounds good, where did you pick it up?

Jonah Hex

Post by Jonah Hex »

It's starting to spread out now, still mostly in toronto though.
http://www.lcbo.com/lcbo-ear/lcbo/produ ... ber=296939
Scott T.
No, I will not "beam you up."

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

Is this the same porter the LCBO had a couple of years back but in a smaller, funny shaped bottle?

I could swear that was a Meantime Porter, although I vaguely remember it having coffee.
I used to sell beer. Now I don't.

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

MatttthewGeorge wrote:Is this the same porter the LCBO had a couple of years back but in a smaller, funny shaped bottle?

I could swear that was a Meantime Porter, although I vaguely remember it having coffee.
You're right, the one we had previously in the small bottles was their Coffee Porter. They also have a Chocolate Porter available in the same small bottle format.

The version in now in the big bottles is an unflavoured version.

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

I have a feeling this would be pretty great for a "steak and stout" stew, so I'll try that tonight.
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

JeffPorter wrote:I have a feeling this would be pretty great for a "steak and stout" stew, so I'll try that tonight.
Lemme know the results cause I was thinking the same thing.

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

sprague11 wrote:
JeffPorter wrote:I have a feeling this would be pretty great for a "steak and stout" stew, so I'll try that tonight.
Lemme know the results cause I was thinking the same thing.
It was pretty good, but I dumped a whole bottle in as I was low on stock for about two pounds of beef. The result was that it was a tad bitter due to the hops and I didn't have any tomatoes, so balanced it out with some more carrots, worchestire (what can I say, it works in a pinch) and even a touch of maple syrup.

If you have some good beef or veal stock, though, I would use 1:1 ratio of stock and porter and maybe a small tin of tomatoes. That would have made it even better - looks like I have my semi-annual veal stock making weekend coming up, since I'm out!

Certainly a decent braising beer, and worth keeping on hand for that reason, but keep in mind the hops and use something (acid or sweet or both) to balance it out.

ErkLR

Post by ErkLR »

Interesting. I think I'm going to be making chili soon, and was thinking of using something like this instead of red wine.

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

ErkLR wrote:Interesting. I think I'm going to be making chili soon, and was thinking of using something like this instead of red wine.
Think it would be pretty great for chili!!!

Of course, it's good for drinking too - don't want to give the impression that it's the best porter I've ever had, but it's a nice welcome (and relatively cheap) addition to the 'BO.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

JeffPorter wrote:It was pretty good, but I dumped a whole bottle in as I was low on stock for about two pounds of beef. The result was that it was a tad bitter due to the hops ...
I've noticed this, gotta be careful adding too much beer because when the water evaporates out the remaining hop and roast bitterness can be more pronounced.

I almost always stew red meat with Trois Pistoles, a versatile cooking beer - and I think Sam Adams Octoberfest might work really well in cooking too so I will try that soon.
You want some good flavorful malt body, a bit of color and a lack of assertive hops.
In Beerum Veritas

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

Belgian wrote:
JeffPorter wrote:It was pretty good, but I dumped a whole bottle in as I was low on stock for about two pounds of beef. The result was that it was a tad bitter due to the hops ...
I've noticed this, gotta be careful adding too much beer because when the water evaporates out the remaining hop and roast bitterness can be more pronounced.

I almost always stew red meat with Trois Pistoles, a versatile cooking beer - and I think Sam Adams Octoberfest might work really well in cooking too so I will try that soon.
You want some good flavorful malt body, a bit of color and a lack of assertive hops.
It was kind of decadent last year but making chili with the Jacobite (with the corriander) was pretty amazing.

G.M. Gillman
Seasoned Drinker

Post by G.M. Gillman »

Porter traditionally was a dry beer with a smoky edge. This has that. It seems mostly though in the style of a modern Irish stout, I note some wheat is employed for example. It struck me as rather like Guinness or Murphy in fact, but richer and stronger.

A good effort and well-priced indeed, but numerous North American examples of porter exceed it in my opinion.

Gary
Gary Gillman

G.M. Gillman
Seasoned Drinker

Post by G.M. Gillman »

Just on beer cookery for a moment, any beer, even commercial light beer, will reduce to a sharp bitterness in simmering or braising. Usually you need to add something to "correct" this, either vinegar, sugar, mustard, or a combination, as in carbonade flamande or other classic beer dishes.

I have used everything from Coors Light to Imperial Stout in beer cookery but I find the kind of beer doesn't really matter provided again a corrective is added. For a carbonade, a couple of teaspoons of brown sugar is enough. The dish calls for mustard too and vinegar.

Gary
Gary Gillman

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

G.M. Gillman wrote:I have used everything from Coors Light to Imperial Stout in beer cookery but I find the kind of beer doesn't really matter provided again a corrective is added. For a carbonade, a couple of teaspoons of brown sugar is enough.
Yup, damn good advice.