Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Don't buy Kwak! read on...

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

rejtable
Bar Fly

Post by rejtable »

Can I get either one of those at Bed, Bath and Beyond?

mintjellie
Seasoned Drinker

Post by mintjellie »

rejtable wrote:Can I get either one of those at Bed, Bath and Beyond?
:lol:

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

atomeyes wrote:
Belgian wrote: So if it Kwak's like a Kwak glass... it should be a Kwak.
go and re-read my original post. i added pics of the glassware. it is not similar in any sense other than they both need a (wooden) stand to keep upright.
So then it doesn't Kwak like a Kwak glass. It's kind of horny, baby. Mike Myers should sue for that!
In Beerum Veritas

cfrancis
Bar Fly

Post by cfrancis »

Now I see the glass. OK it's a stretch. I understand where it came from but it's something they probably shouldn't have done.

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

cfrancis wrote:Now I see the glass. OK it's a stretch. I understand where it came from but it's something they probably shouldn't have done.
i disagree with you 100%.
i see zero trademark, patent or copyright infringement.

Lukie

Post by Lukie »

atomeyes wrote:
cfrancis wrote:Now I see the glass. OK it's a stretch. I understand where it came from but it's something they probably shouldn't have done.
Nike didn't invent the check mark yet they have strict copyright infringements for it. Any business which tries to market under that symbol or anything similar will get their asses handed to them in court. Countless other examples abound of businesses not being the originators of logos, symbols, phrases etc., but being the first ones to bring it to a mass market for commercial purposes and securing legal rights to that symbol. What matters most in these cases is who secured the legal rights to the object first, not where it first came from. The only question I would have in this case is whether the other glass is similar enough to be deemed a copy of it.

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

Lukie wrote:
atomeyes wrote:
Nike didn't invent the check mark yet they have strict copyright infringements for it. Any business which tries to market under that symbol or anything similar will get their asses handed to them in court. Countless other examples abound of businesses not being the originators of logos, symbols, phrases etc., but being the first ones to bring it to a mass market for commercial purposes and securing legal rights to that symbol. What matters most in these cases is who secured the legal rights to the object first, not where it first came from. The only question I would have in this case is whether the other glass is similar enough to be deemed a copy of it.
The analogy is more like "Nike created the first running shoe and won't let anyone else create a running shoe".
the only parallel between the 2 glasses is a wooden stand that holds them up.
might as well sue a candle company because you claim you invented the candellabra.

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

MatttthewGeorge wrote:thanks for posting the pics. I was on Kwak's side until I saw them. It's not even a yard stick, it's a horn. Kwak is clearly offside, IMO.
That being said, I'm still gonna enjoy the Kwak I have, especially since I have the Kwak yard stick (not a horn).
I used to sell beer. Now I don't.

cfrancis
Bar Fly

Post by cfrancis »

The best thing is we are arguing over a copyright that none of us know what is actually included in the copyright.

My guess is the copyright contains the shape of the glass and the fact that it is held by a wooden form.

IF that is the case then there is copyright infringement on any glass that is held up by a wooden form regardless of the shape of the glass.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

I suppose there is very little 'customary' use of a wooden stand for a glass, even if the glass shape is different. That stand literally does stand out as unique.

With mere glass shape, if you had somebody suing over a classic Weissbier glass that has had 'customary' use by dozens of brewers, that might have far less of a leg (or stand) to stand on based on long widespread use.

On the other hand, how the hell else would you present a horn-shaped glass. Gravity dictates that would not work at all without a stand.

The glass alone would not compel me to buy either beer.
In Beerum Veritas

Cale
Bar Fly

Post by Cale »

Although much more minimalistic, Steenberge's Leute Bokbier also requires a piece of wood to stand on its own:

A shark on whisky is mighty risky. A shark on beer is a beer engineer.

saints_gambit
Bar Fly

Post by saints_gambit »

Buy some Kwak if you feel like it. I'm not sure that anyone is hooked on Kwak, and I'm certainly not going to push Kwak onto you. I just find it ridiculous that you need a specially crafted glass apparatus to get the best out of Kwak.

Also, who the hell serves beer in a glass horn? That sucker's breaking the first time you wash it.
saintjohnswort.ca

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

When I lived in Alberta Kwak had a giftpack with the glass and two (I think) bottles. I got it for Xmas, enjoyed them, then put the glass away when I moved back to Ontario thinking I would never use it again. The LCBO bringing it in was good enough reason to dig out my glass and buy a couple of bottles, but overall I would agree with the general consensus here that the beer is slightly above average but nothing to get too excited about.
I used to sell beer. Now I don't.