Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Grand Electric - Queen and Dufferin

Discuss Ontario's brewpubs, pubs, beer bars and restaurants here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

velovampire
Seasoned Drinker

Post by velovampire »

Cass wrote:"Cerveza Monkey" and another one (Agua something?). Good tunes, good service.
I've inquired in the past about these two (Agua Loco is the second, I believe), and was informed that they are simply rebranded GLB Canuck and Golden Horseshoe. I forget which is which, though I'm sure they'd clear that up for you.

Droogy

Post by Droogy »

velovampire wrote:
Cass wrote:"Cerveza Monkey" and another one (Agua something?). Good tunes, good service.
I've inquired in the past about these two (Agua Loco is the second, I believe), and was informed that they are simply rebranded GLB Canuck and Golden Horseshoe. I forget which is which, though I'm sure they'd clear that up for you.
Aqua loco is likely the horseshoe.

cmadd

Post by cmadd »

Pretty sure it's not legal to rebrand alcohol.

velovampire
Seasoned Drinker

Post by velovampire »

cmadd wrote:Pretty sure it's not legal to rebrand alcohol.
Doooood, you should totally change yer avatar:

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

GE is now offering lunch on Sat and Sun from 11:30-3pm. Wonder if it will still be a long wait?

mixedup

Post by mixedup »

Would love to know how busy they are...been avoiding the place because of the lineups, but maybe now that the hip-factor has died a bit it might be easier to check out? I'm guessing the tacos at Cask Days (which were OK, not great) weren't a decent representation of the food at the restaurant!

nickelass
Bar Fly

Post by nickelass »

I went a few times over the last month, and I've had to wait an hour at least. I've gone past 8pm, so I'm not sure if there is less of a line up around 6pm when they open.
"You wanna talk some jive? I'll talk some jive. I'll talk some jive like you've never heard!"

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

Cass wrote:GE is now offering lunch on Sat and Sun from 11:30-3pm. Wonder if it will still be a long wait?
If today is any indication, the answer would be "no".

Sheryl and I walked by a bit after 11:30am on our way to run some errands, and there were only 2 or 3 tables occupied. We'd been planning to grab some lunch somewhere anyway, so we went in - our first time there due to being old and cranky folks who don't like line-ups.

We shared a half-dozen tacos and some chips and guac. We were pretty impressed - not the absolute best tacos we've ever had, but up there on the list. We'd go back for lunch again.

Oh, and the Bellwoods Saison on tap went with the food quite nicely.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

GregClow wrote:our first time there due to being old and cranky folks who don't like line-ups.

We shared a half-dozen tacos and some chips and guac. We were pretty impressed - not the absolute best tacos we've ever had, but up there...
Never thought of you as 'old' Greg! :)

Glad you had a good visit, we found the guacamole was not nearly asgood as the ceviche, if you don't mind the acidulated raw fish thing. Way way better appetizer IMHO.
In Beerum Veritas

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

Great news about the lunch!!! Maybe now we can finally get in!
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

Belgian wrote:
GregClow wrote:our first time there due to being old and cranky folks who don't like line-ups.

We shared a half-dozen tacos and some chips and guac. We were pretty impressed - not the absolute best tacos we've ever had, but up there...
Never thought of you as 'old' Greg! :)
Compared to most of the clientele at GE, I'd say that we're positively ancient! :oops:

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

GregClow wrote:Compared to most of the clientele at GE, I'd say that we're positively ancient! :oops:
Sucks getting old. :cry: I remember our first visit to 416 Snackbar last year. I looked around the room and it struck me for the first time (ever anywhere) that I probably was the oldest in the room (not that I look it) by at least 10-15 years. Where did the time go? :-?
lister

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

lister wrote:
GregClow wrote:Compared to most of the clientele at GE, I'd say that we're positively ancient! :oops:
Sucks getting old. :cry: I remember our first visit to 416 Snackbar last year. I looked around the room and it struck me for the first time (ever anywhere) that I probably was the oldest in the room (not that I look it) by at least 10-15 years. Where did the time go? :-?

Drinking beers that we've probably never heard of :)
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

icemachine wrote:Drinking beers that we've probably never heard of :)
While 416 Snackbar isn't on the same level as Volo, Bar Hop, C'est What, etc. they've got a decent tap and bottle/can lineup that we would recognize. Flying Monkeys Hoptical Illusion, Creemore, Waupoos Cider, Steamwhistle, Mill St Cobblestone Stout were taps on our last visit. (Probably one or two more I don't remember.) The bottle/can list has some good stuff too and some more typical hipster doofus stuff. No PBR from what I recall but pretty sure I say Stiegel (yuck! tastes like hay.) I rarely order bottles from bars unless it's not available at the LCBO or TBS.
lister

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

My comment was aimed at the "where did the time go" bit, but good to know about the offerings at 416 Snackbar too
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole