Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Muskoka Spring Oddity

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

Heads up that the 2013 edition of this beer is now available. I picked up a bottle at the Dufferin Mall TBS today.

They've also dropped "Spring" from the name, so it's just called Legendary Muskoka Oddity now.

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

I have some empties to return, so I'll likely grab one at my local TBS if they have some.
"A good light beer is one that doesn't taste like piss!" - Frank d'Angelo

northyorksammy
Seasoned Drinker

Post by northyorksammy »

apparently, different recipe this year and every year to follow
sorachi and trappist yeast in this spring's version
Last edited by northyorksammy on Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

mintjellie
Seasoned Drinker

Post by mintjellie »

http://www.muskokabrewery.com/legendary-oddity.php

There website lists the same ingredients. :? What changed?

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

mintjellie wrote:http://www.muskokabrewery.com/legendary-oddity.php

The website hasn't been updated yet. Here's the list from the new label:

Ingredients: Muskoka Water, Juniper Berries, Heather Tips, Sweet & Bitter Orange Peel Shavings, North American Malted Barley, Magnum and Sorachi Ace Hops, Trappist Yeast

velovampire
Seasoned Drinker

Post by velovampire »

GregClow wrote:
mintjellie wrote:http://www.muskokabrewery.com/legendary-oddity.php

The website hasn't been updated yet. Here's the list from the new label:

Ingredients: Muskoka Water, Juniper Berries, Heather Tips, Sweet & Bitter Orange Peel Shavings, North American Malted Barley, Magnum and Sorachi Ace Hops, Trappist Yeast
So the Muskoka Water's not Pure anymore? Hope that's reflected in the price. :wink:

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

Hop profile sounds interesting, at least. I think I only had one last year, but I'll certainly give it another go...
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

i really liked this one last year but only bought one bottle because of the price, i might buy one this year but most likely one at the most.

Baulz

Post by Baulz »

I only bought one last year too. Wish they could sell these for less, I don't need the fancy bottle.

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Bytowner »

Not quite sure how I feel about this one. Not sure the yeast does it any favours. There's a nice beer here, but the flavours are a bit muddled and I find it a touch too sweet.
Craft beer hipster before it was cool

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

The schmancy bottle-pricing keeps me waiting to see these fine Ontario beers at the bars - or else even willing to miss them. I still haven't tried Flying Monkeys BNL and everywhere I go, the LC stores seem to have piles of stock...
In Beerum Veritas

Kish84
Bar Fly

Post by Kish84 »

I think I picked up 1 bottle of the Muskoka Harvest Ale, but for the most part I also avoid those high-priced bottles and opt to wait for them on tap.

I was at the lcbo earlier today to pick up something to drink during the game (Boneshaker and Pilsner Urquell) and to get some Winterbrewed. I may have to blame Bytowner and his review for this, but I was OK with picking up multiple Winterbrewed's at $8 a pop, but didn't even give Spring Oddity a chance.

As much as I like supporting local breweries, I'd be more willing to spend $13 on a mediocre Mikkeller than a possibly mediocre Muskoka.
"There's always money in the banana stand."

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

* sigh * when I factor in all retail cost savings + the entertainment value of travel, Buffalo beer is almost more economical than buying the same volume of local. And I already know before buying them a lot of these USA brews are insanely good.

Luckily brewers like Bellwoods are changing that for me a little. (Hey, they even still have the beer when you show up.)
In Beerum Veritas

mintjellie
Seasoned Drinker

Post by mintjellie »

Kish84 wrote:I think I picked up 1 bottle of the Muskoka Harvest Ale, but for the most part I also avoid those high-priced bottles and opt to wait for them on tap.

I was at the lcbo earlier today to pick up something to drink during the game (Boneshaker and Pilsner Urquell) and to get some Winterbrewed. I may have to blame Bytowner and his review for this, but I was OK with picking up multiple Winterbrewed's at $8 a pop, but didn't even give Spring Oddity a chance.

As much as I like supporting local breweries, I'd be more willing to spend $13 on a mediocre Mikkeller than a possibly mediocre Muskoka.
I haven't had this years Spring Oddity yet, but personally, I enjoyed last years. Maybe not a world beater, but still pretty damned good.