Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

The Most Brew You've Brought Home from The US via flight?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

phirleh
Seasoned Drinker

Post by phirleh »

I brought back about 12 or so bottles in my luggage, coming from Newark to Toronto, quite a few bombers. I brought down a foam wine shipper that I had modified to fit in my luggage. I was at 69 lbs and Porter waived the overage charge (thank you Porter). Coming back from Chicago last year going to Buffalo (on an American flight) they wanted to charge me $100 for being a few pounds over 50lbs.
Malam cerevisiam facieus in cathedram stercoris

"God don't want me yet, man, I got more feet to taste."
photos - http://www.flickr.com/photos/phirleh/se ... 039468171/

A
Bar Fly

Post by A »

Cass wrote:I once heard of someone who brought a 20L keg home on a plane.
I heard that story too... must have been a rager!

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

I brought this lot back from California last year. Ended up with 3 suitcases and a large holdall to bring everything. All bottles were packed in wine sacks, or bubble wrap inside food bags. It was a lot of weight, but every bag/suitcase was under the limit. Just ended up paying for an extra bag (around $60, iirc). I did have my wife with me, so she used 'her' allocation to help me out.

Cali Beer Haul (05-Feb-12) by TorontoBlue, on Flickr

cattersley

Post by cattersley »

HOLY $**T! That is a haul!

cfrancis
Bar Fly

Post by cfrancis »

That is a man who takes his beer seriously!

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

About six or eight last time, wrapped in carton separators, newspaper, socks and tees with a zip loc outer wrap.
In Beerum Veritas

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

I think I brought back a dozen or so from Vegas with my midsize suitcase, thinking I will have two suitcases coming back from Florida next month, so double the fun :)
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

We brought 2-3 cases from Washington/Oregon trip across two suitcases and a box. They dinged me for $75 for a bag that was 3-5 lbs overweight. Meanwhile I could have checked a second bag for free under a promotion they had on. (Yes I am still bitter.) Mostly because if I had known I would have just checked a full styro and bought more beer.

From Belgium I just did the second suitcase thing. If you want that much beer just suck it up and check a second bag/box, check weight before you get to the airport. I really need to get one of those travel scales before our next beer trip. Or mail it back, but usually the checked bag fees are cheaper than shipping it.

TheBeeraholic
Bar Fly

Post by TheBeeraholic »

My 21st birthday I spent in Vegas I brought back an assortment of 330ml, 650ml, and 750's about 50 bottles in total in three suitcases. Bubble wrapped and extra supported by hotel towels and pages from the rooms phone book. I've got a photo saved on another laptop ill try finding and posting.

Baulz

Post by Baulz »

JerCraigs wrote:We brought 2-3 cases from Washington/Oregon trip across two suitcases and a box. They dinged me for $75 for a bag that was 3-5 lbs overweight. Meanwhile I could have checked a second bag for free under a promotion they had on. (Yes I am still bitter.) Mostly because if I had known I would have just checked a full styro and bought more beer.
A friend of mine had the problem of being a few pounds over so he chugged enough bottles to get under the limit.

grub
Seasoned Drinker

Post by grub »

Baulz wrote:A friend of mine had the problem of being a few pounds over so he chugged enough bottles to get under the limit.
luggage weights are awesome. do that the night before and you can enjoy a leisurely beverage (or three) rather than chugging at the airport. :)
@grubextrapolate // @biergotter // http://biergotter.org/

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

Yup, I tend to weigh as I go along, so I know exactly how many more bottles I can buy. I'd hate to have to chug a beer at the desk or leave stuff behind. I usually do road trips, so weight isn't a really a problem, just the size of the car boot is the only restriction.

zombi69

Post by zombi69 »

The Florida brew haul so far! Not the best picture! Have a six of Cigar City's Jai Alai as well as some Dales! Have a a six of HopSlam as well! Now to get them home when the time comes unless I devour them beforehand! Still more hunting awaits!

zombi69

Post by zombi69 »

Well the first attempt was successful! I managed 5 bombers and three cans of Jai Alai! No breakage! I ended up wrapped them inside a paper bag inside a ziplock bag all wrapped with bubble wrap.

I think the next trip I'll attempt more! : )

cfrancis
Bar Fly

Post by cfrancis »

Maharaja is fucking awesome!