Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Pumpkin Ale from Great Lakes Brewery (2013)

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

G.M. Gillman
Seasoned Drinker

Pumpkin Ale from Great Lakes Brewery (2013)

Post by G.M. Gillman »

The top-note is the squashy, pumpkin taste, as is meet, but with good malt underneath, from barley and wheat. Some sweet potato is in this as well. Spices are used including allspice and nutmeg but thankfully with a light hand, to complement, not overwhelm, the rooty, starchy taste of the cereals.

Virtually a perfect pumpkin beer, well done Great Lakes Brewery.

Gary

P.S. I should mention too that noticeable hops are in support, and good pumpkin beer needs this. GLB gets it...
Gary Gillman

velovampire
Seasoned Drinker

Post by velovampire »

G.M. Gillman wrote:The top-note is the squashy, pumpkin taste, as is meet, but with good malt underneath, from barley and wheat. Some sweet potato is in this as well. Spices are used including allspice and nutmeg but thankfully with a light hand, to complement, not overwhelm, the rooty, starchy taste of the cereals.

Virtually a perfect pumpkin beer, well done Great Lakes Brewery.

Gary

P.S. I should mention too that noticeable hops are in support, and good pumpkin beer needs this. GLB gets it...
Love this one too. I feel like GLB has slightly tweaked it (for the better) every year and has really got this one dialed in. My favourite pumpkin beer, and the only one I keep pretty much constantly stocked throughout the autumn.

schomberger

Post by schomberger »

The GL Pumpkin is very good this year. Grand river was my favourite reg abv pumpkin but this is just as good perhaps better. For sure its not filtered as much as the Grand River which i think adds some extra depth to the flavour.

velovampire
Seasoned Drinker

Post by velovampire »

schomberger wrote:The GL Pumpkin is very good this year. Grand river was my favourite reg abv pumpkin but this is just as good perhaps better. For sure its not filtered as much as the Grand River which i think adds some extra depth to the flavour.
In the past I've slightly preferred the Grand River, but, like you say, I think the coarser filtration of the GLB brew this year moves it into the lead for me. Also, the couple bottles of Grand River I've had this year have had the faintest diacetyl note, which for me, is off-putting. Both fine ales at their peak, which in the case of the GLB offering just happens to be this year's batch.