Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Any other collectors out there?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

KeithsGuy

Any other collectors out there?

Post by KeithsGuy »

I've just joined The Bar Towel recently (as you can see by my extremely low post count) and I'm finding it to be a great resource. I'm very new to the beer scene so I'm taking in alot from reading the site and lurking in the message boards.

Other than our shared interest in consuming beer itself, I was wondering if anyone also collected beer related marketing, storage, or product packaging materials as well. As you can tell by my alias, I'm into Alexander Keiths items but I'm also very interested in Ottawa beer items (Bradings, Capital etc.). I also have a beer glass collection that contains close to 150 glasses and I only started a little over a year ago!

I have a personal site with some of my Keiths collection on it. I haven't updated it since April though. Feel free to check it out.

http://www.magma.ca/~spiche/keiths

So.. do we have any other collectors out there? If so, what do you collect?
Last edited by KeithsGuy on Fri Jun 17, 2005 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

Are you in the Canadian Brewianist Society? I was a member for a year or two but sort of fell out of it after my cap collection started getting unwieldy.

The Golden Horeshoe Chapter meets at Steam Whistle around once a year for a trading session, or at least they used to.

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

Nice collection! I love looking at stuff like that.

Some of those items look like they might date from when Keith's actually was an IPA. :lol:

Beer Geek

Post by Beer Geek »

Here are a couple of threads regarding the Golden Horseshoe Breweriana Collectors with some contact information.

http://www.bartowel.com/board/viewtopic ... ght=#10689

http://www.bartowel.com/board/viewtopic ... ight=#9851

Beer Geek

Post by Beer Geek »

You're right Geocities does suck. Looks like we may have crashed the site. I'm now getting an error saying:

"The web site you are trying to access has exceeded its allocated data transfer.
Access to this site will be restored within an hour. Please try again later."

that's funny!

KeithsGuy

Post by KeithsGuy »

JerCraigs wrote:Are you in the Canadian Brewianist Society? I was a member for a year or two but sort of fell out of it after my cap collection started getting unwieldy.
Yes. I am a member of the Ottawa Chapter. My (soon-to-be) father-in-law's been a member for years. He got me into the whole beer collecting thing.
JerCraigs wrote:The Golden Horeshoe Chapter meets at Steam Whistle around once a year for a trading session, or at least they used to.
Good to know! The Canadian Brewianists meet in Gananoque each year to do a swap session as well. It's always a good time!

s.

KeithsGuy

Post by KeithsGuy »

GregClow wrote:Some of those items look like they might date from when Keith's actually was an IPA. :lol:
HA! Maybe so. I'm trying to find a full bottle from the early 1900's to do some caparisons with. ;)

s.

KeithsGuy

Post by KeithsGuy »

Beer Geek wrote:You're right Geocities does suck. Looks like we may have crashed the site. I'm now getting an error saying:

"The web site you are trying to access has exceeded its allocated data transfer.

that's funny!
Alright. That's it. I'm setting myself up with some hosting today. I've had enough of Rogers and their partnership with Geocities. BAH!

s.

KeithsGuy

Post by KeithsGuy »

Alrighty.. I put the site up here temporarily so we wont run into that Geocities problem anymore:

http://www.magma.ca/~spiche/keiths/

s.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Beer Geek wrote:You're right Geocities does suck. Looks like we may have crashed the site. I'm now getting an error saying:

that's funny!
Wow, I never thought we'd have a "Slashdot effect" on the Bartowel.

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

I collect the odd interesting looking coaster now and then. I've got some glasses too, Church-Key, Unibroue and Kilkenny. Though my favourite by far is the set with a billiard ball on the front of each. My buddy gave me those as a thank you for being part of his wedding.

Last weekend during a round of neighbourhood garage sales which the girlfriend likes to paw through while I provide the carrying muscle, we came across one guy who had quite a bit of beer stuff. I picked up a wooden Creemore sign for my dad since he really likes Creemore. For me I got some tap handles. Algonquin Honey Brown :D and three nice Rickard's ones. There were quite a few more but none that caught my fancy.
lister

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

Cass wrote: Wow, I never thought we'd have a "Slashdot effect" on the Bartowel.
"Oh no, my site's been BarTowelled!"

That has a nice ring to it. :D

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Mostly, I only collect beer (for future consumption.)

The glassware is a by-product, I could part with any of it and not miss it much. The Duvel tulps are versatile 'tasting' glasses, though.

I have some silly German steins. You need at least one.
In Beerum Veritas

Steve Spong

Post by Steve Spong »

Collecting beer bottles is a part of the experience for me. God only knows how many I have (400+, I'd guess... I can't be bothered to keep close check), but I've got them set up in my basement bar, so when I have my friends over, we can look over the bottles and reminisce about beers that we have known and loved. I only keep bottles from beers I've actually tasted, because if I've not had it, what's the point? Sure, the bottles are not going to provide me with another taste, but they provide a good reference point for positive beer experiences.

mustang3

Post by mustang3 »

I collect beer bottles as well. I think I'm around the 600 mark. Bottle collecting is actually what got me into good beer. My roommates and I decorated our university apartment with bottles and expanding the collection meant trying more beer and it got me hooked.