Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Fresh Founders Centennial at the LCBO

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

dale cannon

Post by dale cannon »

dale cannon wrote:
Belgian wrote: Also would appreciate any other 'fresh stock IPA' sightings you guys, please and thank you! It isn't right to let good fresh IPA arrive without cramming a few more sixes in the fridge.

** edit ** Green Flash and others too!
Current Southern Tier IPA stock was bottled 04/25/13. Smells and tastes great! Especially after riding 100K up and down the hills of beautiful Oro Township this morning.
New stock of ST IPA bottling date is July 24.
That's the way she goes. Sometimes she goes, sometimes it doesn't. She didn't go. That's the way she goes.

Number8

Post by Number8 »

Slim chance with what I have been seeing at the LCBO this September, but I'm bumping this thread to see if anyone spots any fresh IPAs. Preferably Founders, Elysian (they even have a date anywhere on the bottle/box?), West Coast (lol) or anything really.

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

Number8 wrote:Slim chance with what I have been seeing at the LCBO this September, but I'm bumping this thread to see if anyone spots any fresh IPAs. Preferably Founders, Elysian (they even have a date anywhere on the bottle/box?), West Coast (lol) or anything really.
Why not buy local, mad tom and smash bomb are usually within a few weeks of bottling

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

I've gotten Boneshaker within a couple of days, many times. I'll gladly give my money to Amsterdam over Not A Care (NAC).
I used to sell beer. Now I don't.

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

I found some 1 week old nicklebrook naughty neighbour last week - was really good. I'm sure we will see some fresh founders cent soon.. current bottles have a best before of november

Number8

Post by Number8 »

Actually I did purchase a sixer of Naughty Neighbour in August that was really fresh. It is good and I'll keep an eye out for the new batch. Mad Tom and especially Smash Bomb don't sell a lot in my area (Stoney Creek) unfortunately. They are both great and would purchase regularly if I find fresher six packs. I'll keep a look out for everything mentioned including the Boneshaker. Maybe I have to drive to some Hamilton or Burlington stores more often to pick up the fresher stuff.

Thanks for replying, gentlemen.

velovampire
Seasoned Drinker

Post by velovampire »

Number8 wrote:Actually I did purchase a sixer of Naughty Neighbour in August that was really fresh. It is good and I'll keep an eye out for the new batch. Mad Tom and especially Smash Bomb don't sell a lot in my area (Stoney Creek) unfortunately. They are both great and would purchase regularly if I find fresher six packs. I'll keep a look out for everything mentioned including the Boneshaker. Maybe I have to drive to some Hamilton or Burlington stores more often to pick up the fresher stuff.

Thanks for replying, gentlemen.
Headstock, too, can also be found quite fresh, and if you're driving to Burlington anyway, might as well get it right from the brewery! A fine brew that's gotten better with each successive batch.

Baulz

Post by Baulz »

Slightly OT - Is there some kind of cheat sheet for where to find bottling dates on 6 packs? I think some are on the bottles and some on the packaging? Sometimes I stand there like an idiot flipping them upside down and around trying to find it.

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

this site might help:

http://freshbeeronly.com/
Baulz wrote:Slightly OT - Is there some kind of cheat sheet for where to find bottling dates on 6 packs? I think some are on the bottles and some on the packaging? Sometimes I stand there like an idiot flipping them upside down and around trying to find it.

grub
Seasoned Drinker

Post by grub »

spinrsx wrote:this site might help: http://freshbeeronly.com/
yeah, it's a great resource, and the dude who runs it is a past trading parter from QC. good guy. he's constantly working to make sure it's up to date and to add any new breweries he can find.
@grubextrapolate // @biergotter // http://biergotter.org/

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

I'll say. That is a great site! Had no idea it existed until now. Thanks for pointing it out.

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

picked up some green flash bottled 31-07-2013. Pretty decent as far as green flash in ontario goes; possibly the freshest we've ever had it.

heebes

Post by heebes »

2 months old...and that's the new batch. Just suffered through the last bottling which tasted malty with no hops...dare I try a best before 11 11 13 Founders Centennial from the same warm shelf? Apparantly the best before bottling is 10 months from the date, so last founders batch was February? Yikes

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

just opened some now, pretty hoppy/pungent and bitter. 2 month old Green Flash is better than no Green Flash I guess.. I'll be going to town on this beer for the next 30 days or so

heebes wrote: before 11 11 13 Founders Centennial from the same warm shelf? Apparantly the best before bottling is 10 months from the date, so last founders batch was February? Yikes
any idea how far out the red racer best before dates are? I saw some cans today best before december, wonder how fresh that makes them

instantkamera

Post by instantkamera »

spinrsx wrote:
any idea how far out the red racer best before dates are? I saw some cans today best before december, wonder how fresh that makes them
When they had a big release in the spring (march-april, I think) the bb were in June. Conversely, I have seen it expired.

My guess is that they know it's an IPA, so they wouldn't put the BB way out of line. 3 months, maybe?