Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Sapporo closing Sleeman facility in Dartmouth

Discuss beer travel and regional information, including the best bars and places to check out around in Canada and around the world, and other chat that is not specific to Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

zane9

Sapporo closing Sleeman facility in Dartmouth

Post by zane9 »

A multi-national brewer is closing its Sleeman brewery in Dartmouth N.S. A buyer has been sought since March, but no luck.

http://bit.ly/1fMR9vs

Too bad there isn't a bigger demand for contract-brewing in Halifax-Dartmouth. In a larger market I suspect craft brewers would have jumped at the chance to utilize the resource.

rejtable
Bar Fly

Post by rejtable »

I think the problem was just that the thing was too damned huge. Timing wasn't ideal either as Propeller announced they were moving basically right across the street barely a few months before this went on the market. Not clear if Propeller would have been interested even if the timing had been better.

While I don't live there anymore, it is sad to lose the old building as a brewery. Maritime Brewing (Frosted Frog!!), then Sleemans. Had many a dinner at the old Brewdebakers restaurant on site.

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

It's a shame they couldn't find a buyer, but at least they spent 9 months trying, if it was AB-InBev they would likely have torn the sucker down and salted the earth
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

Rob Creighton
Bar Fly

Post by Rob Creighton »

rejtable wrote:I think the problem was just that the thing was too damned huge.
Nicklebrooke bought it so it couldn't be that damn huge

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

Rob Creighton wrote:
rejtable wrote:I think the problem was just that the thing was too damned huge.
Nicklebrooke bought it so it couldn't be that damn huge
can anyone confirm the Nickelbrook did but the Sleeman plant? I cant find any mention of it anywhere but here.

rejtable
Bar Fly

Post by rejtable »

matt7215 wrote:can anyone confirm the Nickelbrook did but the Sleeman plant? I cant find any mention of it anywhere but here.
Brewnosers forum speculated that they just bought the equipment, not the actual plant.

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

Not sure about Nickelbrook's size, but some of the larger Ontario Micro's have to operating with far more than 15 people working in their plants and that was the number of jobs lost at Maclays. I don't see why a company like Nickelbrook who might be looking to expand wouldn't consider operating an East Coast plant that could serve the Atlantic markets.

Alternatively moving the equipment to Ontario if they are at production constraints here could also be a reason
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

rejtable wrote:
matt7215 wrote:can anyone confirm the Nickelbrook did but the Sleeman plant? I cant find any mention of it anywhere but here.
Brewnosers forum speculated that they just bought the equipment, not the actual plant.
This is what I have heard as well. I've also heard they've bought a large building in Hamilton. All industry rumours at this point.
untappd/instacrap/facebitch/snapitychat/etc: @matttthewgeorge