Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Monk's Hearth

Discuss Ontario's brewpubs, pubs, beer bars and restaurants here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Cass
Beer Superstar

Monk's Hearth

Post by Cass »

Drove down Yonge St. yesterday and it looked like the Monk's Hearth was just about ready to go (or is it?) Sign was up, stuff inside was getting unwrapped, at least from what I could tell without endangering myself and others :)

Any word?

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

Cass wrote:Drove down Yonge St. yesterday and it looked like the Monk's Hearth was just about ready to go (or is it?) Sign was up, stuff inside was getting unwrapped, at least from what I could tell without endangering myself and others :)

Any word?
is that at yonge and eg where Coco whatever used to be?

saints_gambit
Bar Fly

Post by saints_gambit »

I walked through with owner Adam Grant on Friday. It looks to be nearing a launch. I would say a couple of weeks.
saintjohnswort.ca

saints_gambit
Bar Fly

Post by saints_gambit »

Soft opening friday at 5 pm.
saintjohnswort.ca

saints_gambit
Bar Fly

Post by saints_gambit »

Hey guys, it looks like this is going to be an entire week of soft opening for the Monk's Hearth. Here are the details from facebook. \

Please join us for our soft opening
All nights have server suggested beer pairings. Pairings are not included in price.

Sept 13th 5 - 830 25$ Sample our entire menu! mini items of the Monks menu all you can eat.
1. Smoked trout pâté
2. Mini burgers
3. Cured salmon canapé
4. Crab cakes
5. Shrimp
6. Shepherd mini pie
7. Knuckwurst
8. Schnitzel
9. Mini sticky toffee
Saturday 14th. 30$ 7pm
Suckling Pig night:
Scalloped potatoes
Gravy
Coleslaw

Sunday 15th 24$ Anytime
Prime rib night:
Fingerlings
Fresh garden veg
Gravy
York shire pudding.

Monday 16th Anytime
Sausages duo: 20$
Knuckwurst & Bratwurst
Apple gravy
Mash
Veg

Tuesday 17th Anytime
Lobster night :
Rice
Garlic Butter sauce
Salad

Wednesday 18th 15$ Anytime
Mussels duo:
Lime curry
Chipotle

Thursday 19th 15$ Anytime
Curry duo:
Vindaloo
Biryani

Friday 20th
Whole fish salmon 22$ 730pm
Rice
Salad
White wine sauce
saintjohnswort.ca

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

Whole fish salmon???? That's a lot of fish!

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Is this place basically an exact replica of the other location? Not saying there's anything wrong with that, just confused as to what this is supposed to be.
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

i went last week. strange vibe to it. like, looks like it is still trying to find its place.
no bottle list.
taps had zero ontario microbrews. zero signeage of taplist, which i find annoying. hate asking a waitress to recite the beer to me.
no menus given to us. on the way out, i asked if they had a kitchen and was told yes.
atmosphere was non-existent.
basically, if i still lived at Y&E, it would be my go-to bar simply due to lack of other options.
otherwise, there's little to no reason to go there...for now.

chris_schryer

Post by chris_schryer »

Disclaimer, I work with Adam doing web stuff for both locations. That being said, I've been into the Hearth twice. I agree that it's, maybe not quite a replica, but maybe an homage? There's been more effort to get historical churchy stuff than at the Table. As far as the menu goes, I know they've been getting their feet under them. The soft opening was to give them time to get all their ducks in a row, but they are still working on it. For now, the menu is the same at both locations. In terms of beer, there is definitely no Ontario micro (or macro). They did slightly expand the beer selection from the Table, in that they included some Rogue beers, but they have always been about imports, not locals. I know that the taps are listed on chalkboards, but can't say that they are visible everywhere. Still, Houblon Chouffe on tap is pretty dope. Any place takes a while to get servers comfortable and figure out their feel/vibe. I obviously get a somewhat focused experience when I'm there (knowing most of the staff), but do check them out.

screw2000

Post by screw2000 »

Walked by tonight, doors shut and a bailiff notice on the door. Not looking good...