Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Amsterdam Brewpub - almost a year later, any thoughts?

Discuss Ontario's brewpubs, pubs, beer bars and restaurants here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Amsterdam Brewpub - almost a year later, any thoughts?

Post by atomeyes »

Just curious as to what people's impressions are of Amsterdam Brewpub?
It's been open for almost a year. they've had time to execute their plan and iron out their wrinkles.

what are you thoughts? is it a destination for you to go to? summer vs winter?

their (lack of) beer events a bit of a curiosity?

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

Only been the one time during the early days of disarray and haven't been back, but that's more of me not really having a reason to go there than me staying away from the place.

A good beer-centric event would probably give me more reason to visit the place.
"A good light beer is one that doesn't taste like piss!" - Frank d'Angelo

distr0

Post by distr0 »

I've been twice, and loved it both times

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

I've been once. It wasn't very busy yet service was incredibly slow. I was also served the wrong beer.

In addition, the beer list was less than impressive the night I was there and the group that I was with were all more than happy to leave after 1-2 pints each.

I am sure I will go back some time (probably during the summer) but my first impression of the place was less than stellar.

G.M. Gillman
Seasoned Drinker

Post by G.M. Gillman »

I went early on and it was fine. There were very few people there and the service seemed fine at least under those conditions.

Impressive facility, it must have cost a fortune and I hope they are getting the numbers. Will go again soon to see the current state.

Gary
Gary Gillman

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

I've been 2 or 3 times and never had any trouble with the service. I've also had very good luck with the beers they have on, there always seems to be something interesting I haven't tried before.

I haven't been on a hot summer day though, which I imagine is their busy time of year.

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

so am I assuming that, even though we're all beer geeks, it's a summer-only destination?

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

Only time I have been was the double tempest release day...was impressed by the food (cant remember what I had) and will be back every so often...

To get there, I need to pass by places like Bellwoods, Bar Hop, Beer Bistro and even Loose Moose...so I tend to get distracted ;) if I lived down on the waterfront, I'd go regularly.

ercousin

Post by ercousin »

Be sure to look behind the glass to see what is special on tap. Their menu hasn't been right yet. The chalkboard is the correct one, not the paper menu.

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

I have been a couple times now and had mixed results. Food ranged from not great to excellent, servers similarly varied from not great to excellent. Was in on a weeknight about a month ago and was impressed with how busy they actually were. Beer wise it really depends what's on. Last time they had the Session Stout (new and decent but not to my own tastes) and the Testify (which was fan-freakin-tastic) and a couple other solid offerings.

I like it, i don't think a place that size is ever going to be perfect but as long as the keep knocking out some great seasonal brews it will make it into my bar rotation.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Went once early on and haven't been back, but mostly for reasons of geography/convenience, not any dissatisfaction with my experience or Amsterdam in general. The chaos on Queens Quay W is a disincentive, for me at least.

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

I live across the street and shop at the retail store frequently as they usually have 1-2 rotators available and fresh stock of stalwarts like Boneshaker and Fracture.

The pub is fine and I sometimes go there to catch a game and try a couple new beers, but the rotators on tap are typically the same ones sold in the store, so it's less of a draw since you're paying more to drink the same "interesting" stuff that you can bring home.

That said we've never had any issues with the service (despite what others have experienced), the food ranges from decent to good, the bottle list is always solid, and we really enjoyed spending New Years Eve here, so overall I have a pretty favourable impression of the place.

It's also a great option if you wanna go somewhere with non-beer geek friends and still be able to drink well. They'll be happy with the 416 or Blonde and will probably enjoy the music (Top 40) and various games on, and you get to drink Vicars Vice on cask...a win-win for everyone. :lol:
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

ritzkiss

Post by ritzkiss »

cratez wrote:I live across the street and shop at the retail store frequently as they usually have 1-2 rotators available and fresh stock of stalwarts like Boneshaker and Fracture.

The pub is fine and I sometimes go there to catch a game and try a couple new beers, but the rotators on tap are typically the same ones sold in the store, so it's less of a draw since you're paying more to drink the same "interesting" stuff that you can bring home.

That said we've never had any issues with the service (despite what others have experienced), the food ranges from decent to good, the bottle list is always solid, and we really enjoyed spending New Years Eve here, so overall I have a pretty favourable impression of the place.

It's also a great option if you wanna go somewhere with non-beer geek friends and still be able to drink well. They'll be happy with the 416 or Blonde and will probably enjoy the music (Top 40) and various games on, and you get to drink Vicars Vice on cask...a win-win for everyone. :lol:
Aside from the living across the street part, this is pretty much my take on the place. Some decent options, always seating, never had an issue with seating or service (maybe a little slow once or twice), decent food, and when Testify was on… sweet mercies. I would definitely meet up with people to catch a game here, I've brought people here for post-conference dinners, etc… Not going to be as much of a draw specifically for the beer geek looking to tick the wildest beers on their wet list but a good spot nonetheless.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

midlife crisis wrote:Went once early on and haven't been back, but mostly for reasons of geography/convenience, not any dissatisfaction with my experience or Amsterdam in general. The chaos on Queens Quay W is a disincentive, for me at least.
The streetcar is scheduled to resume August 31st, so I guess the end of the road chaos is in sight?

http://www.waterfrontoronto.ca/explore_ ... ueens_quay

I find the best way to get down there is taking a BikeShare (formerly Bixi). I've used them multiple times to get to the area from other parts of downtown.

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

i went there yesterday.
5 PM on a cool spring day.
was 75% full.
by the time i left at 7, it was 90ish% full.

beer on tap: iain's doing some great things. their belgian pale ale is very nice and very clean. hell, all of their beer is pouring really pretty.
looks like they have 10 or so taps with a few seasonals going.

music is a lot better than last year. no Tiffany playing. did hear "Free Bird", though :)

oh, and something really interesting: the men:women ratio is up there with Volo. lots and lots of beer drinking women. great to see that the misconception that beer's a man's drink if pretty much out the window.