Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Okanagan Springs Cloudy Amber

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

G.M. Gillman
Seasoned Drinker

Okanagan Springs Cloudy Amber

Post by G.M. Gillman »

I saw this in a mixed 6 (the others, Pale Ale and the 1516 Lager) and was surprised how good it is. It's got a full natural beer taste with some fairly assertive hopping to balance the caramel malt sweetness. Not complex but it's real beer and very drinkable.

I like the others too when very fresh. Okanagan represents an earlier generation of craft beers but when presented at their best (super-fresh and through clean pipes when on draft) they are very satisfying.

Gary
Gary Gillman

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

They are a larger/regional brewer, usually filtered, probably pasteurized, but decent.

I haven't tried this one, but I presume it isn't filtered?

I like the 1516, there just aren't enough craft lagers. I think they launched with that to try to take some market from the macros, but quickly realized that ales were what that craft drinkers were after. Their pale actually uses German hops... I think it's weird, but I guess it appeals to the more mainstream.

Their Schwartz beer is quite good for a neutered (filtered) brew. Memphis Blues has it on tap here in Kelowna, and it's really great with their smoked meat!

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

Derek wrote:They are a larger/regional brewer, usually filtered, probably pasteurized, but decent.

I haven't tried this one, but I presume it isn't filtered?

I like the 1516, there just aren't enough craft lagers. I think they launched with that to try to take some market from the macros, but quickly realized that ales were what that craft drinkers were after. Their pale actually uses German hops... I think it's weird, but I guess it appeals to the more mainstream.

Their Schwartz beer is quite good for a neutered (filtered) brew. Memphis Blues has it on tap here in Kelowna, and it's really great with their smoked meat!
I remember drinking, and enjoying, the Schwartz when I lived in AB. Had a high ABV, from what I recall, but it was very nice.
I used to sell beer. Now I don't.

G.M. Gillman
Seasoned Drinker

Post by G.M. Gillman »

Derek, the cloudy amber is definitely a sedimented beer. It may be centrifuged or filtered and re-seeded with a quick dropping variety but in any case has a fresh natural taste and is not pasteurized.

The pale ale was devised back in the late 80's before PNW hops became generalized. Some English beers use German hops too (vs. English or other), it's more an option for the brewer. The pale and 1516 are not pasteurized but are cold-filtered, and good drinking when very fresh. My issue in the past with the bottled beers is they seem so-so by the time they arrive here and (in general with exceptions) the draft too but so far this 6 pack is tasting great.

Gary
Gary Gillman

G.M. Gillman
Seasoned Drinker

Post by G.M. Gillman »

It's interesting reading up on the brewery's history. Stefan Tobler, one of the co-founders, has been the brewer for most of its history: he replaced the first, German brewer after apprenticing for a few years. It is evident that German tradition has inspired the brewery since the beginning (more than anything connected to nascent brewing developments on the west coast, I'd guess). For example, the brewery still only uses imported hops, Czech and German according to the website.

Maybe the pale ale is really a kind of alt beer in other words although it has a fruity touch which is kind of English in my view.

The brewery makes a porter in the Baltic style at an impressive 8.5%, haven't had this.

Gary
Gary Gillman

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

G.M. Gillman wrote:The brewery makes a porter in the Baltic style at an impressive 8.5%, haven't had this.
Wait, that's what I've had. Or both. Or I don't know...
I used to sell beer. Now I don't.