Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

What're you drinking right now?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

-Liam-

Post by -Liam- »

rfrf wrote:Had a few of the Rainhard bottles last night. Armed n Citra was my favourite of the bunch.
I was very impressed with his stout. I'm not normally a fan of coffee in stout, but this worked very well along with a fruity character. The 9% was well hidden also. Well worth checking out, imo.

boney
Seasoned Drinker

Post by boney »

I liked Rainhard's Impy Stout as well. Their hoppy offerings have been hit or miss from me. Hit's were Lazy Bones IPA and Hopped Up Summer Ale. Misses being Asytole and Armed N Citra. With the exception of the Summer Ale, all their hoppy beers are too malty for my tastes. I don't know if it's the malt masking the hops or if its a water issue, but A N C and Asysole seemed to have a really subdued hop profile without much "juiciness". Lazy Bones seemed very juicy, despite having a huge malt backbone, so I haven't quote figured them out yet.

-Liam-

Post by -Liam- »

I found that their APA (Citra) was better than their IPAs. I do agree with you though, that they are too malty. Have you had their Farmhouse Ale yet? I'd be interested to try that.

boney
Seasoned Drinker

Post by boney »

-Liam- wrote:I found that their APA (Citra) was better than their IPAs. I do agree with you though, that they are too malty. Have you had their Farmhouse Ale yet? I'd be interested to try that.
I haven't yet. Is the True Grit Farmhouse Ale a rebranding of their Motueka Saison....kind of seems that way when I google it. Regardless, They didn't have any when I visited, which was too bad because that's their beer I'm most excited to try. Love Motueka hops.

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

Had a Lansdowne Brewery root beer today. Sweet and heavily spiced, easily the best root beer I've had in Toronto. (Nickelbrook's being better, but not in Toronto).
Sounds like they should get their license in the next few days and be open by this time next week.

rfrf

Post by rfrf »

Omerta tasting great, don't remember enjoying it as much first time around.

jeremyg

Post by jeremyg »

yeah loving the omerta. i could be totally wrong but they seemed to have dialed down the hibiscus/orange and upped the hops.

such a great summer beer. i should go grab more.

napoleon

Post by napoleon »

jeremyg wrote:yeah loving the omerta. i could be totally wrong but they seemed to have dialed down the hibiscus/orange and upped the hops.

such a great summer beer. i should go grab more.
+1. I didn't get to try it last time, but rosee d'hibiscus scared me of hibiscus beers for a while. This is subtle and delicious. Perfect for a hot day outside.

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Over the weekend at a friend's cottage in Highlands East:
Goose Island Honker's Ale
Pilsner Urquell (brown bottle)
Flying Monkeys Genius of Suburbia
Morland Old Speckled Hen
Central City Red Racer ISA
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

Coronaeus

Post by Coronaeus »

Les Trois Mousquetaires Hors Serie Oud Bruin
Bellwoods Jutsu Version 1.

The LTM Oud Bruin is excellent. This brewery makes so many top notch beers. I can't think of one I haven't enjoyed.

Like many others, I think I preferred Jutsu Version 2, but this is solid.

napoleon

Post by napoleon »

Coronaeus wrote: The LTM Oud Bruin is excellent. This brewery makes so many top notch beers. I can't think of one I haven't enjoyed.
Did you buy this at the source? Or get it in the LCBO. I'd love to try it. Gearing up for a sour beer tasting in the near future.
Last edited by napoleon on Wed Jul 08, 2015 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Coronaeus

Post by Coronaeus »

I got this in the Beer Advocate Canadian BIF in the spring from a Quebec based participant.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Rogue 7 Hop on draught at La Palette, extremely nice place to chill, drink and ppl watch.
In Beerum Veritas

rfrf

Post by rfrf »

on Cask @ Castro's last night:
Stonehammer Dark Ale
Stonehammer Andrew's 2nd Wish IPA

The former worked well as cask, the latter did not. Also had a pint of Headstock on tap which tastes like no Headstock I've ever had before, tap or can...(not in a good way)

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Belgian wrote:Rogue 7 Hop on draught at La Palette, extremely nice place to chill, drink and ppl watch.
Thanks for the tip, Belgian. Based on your comments, the ostensibly stellar draft list, and the bar pic on their website, it seems like my type of place. I'm gonna make an effort to get over there soon. How's the food, BTW?
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott