Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

New Pub-Which Micros?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

old faithful wrote:Rob (or others), what is being seen outside the GTA in terms of consumer interest in good beer? Is it growing?
Peterborough is quite a nice beer town.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Cass wrote:
old faithful wrote:Rob (or others), what is being seen outside the GTA in terms of consumer interest in good beer? Is it growing?
Peterborough is quite a nice beer town.
Kingston isn't bad, if you look around, not just for KBP stuff either - you have Queen's U kids drinking Wellington.
In Beerum Veritas

esprit
Seasoned Drinker

Post by esprit »

From the standpoint of an import agent, Western Ontario is a wasteland with two small exceptions. The Alex B. Keaton in London (580 Talbot St.) and the Marienbad in London (122 Carling St.) are both carrying an esoteric selection of our brews including Belgians and things like Rogue. Here it's an issue of the owners personally taking an interest in beer and offering products which would normally not be considered by most bar/restaurant owners. Again, anyone in these locales are encouraged to patronize these places and encourage their beer expermintation.

BeerMonger

Post by BeerMonger »

First off, I wish to thank everyone for their views and suggestions.

I have already forwarded this website to them in hopes that your suggestions may convince them to take a flyer, they are wishing to have something a little different as far as beer availability.

I agree with Rob that the "thin edge of the wedge" is important. I am not in the beer business but I believe that baby steps are taken before large strides. If these guys can generate interest and profitability from a micro tap or two, who knows where that may lead? I encourage my friends to try different beers whenever possible. These are the same beers that all of you have encouraged me to try from your postings. Some are open and appreciative to try new things, others are not.

This former Molblatt drinker has been convinced, surely there will be others.

I will keep you posted as things move along...

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

esprit wrote:From the standpoint of an import agent, Western Ontario is a wasteland with two small exceptions.
That sucks.

Down with monopolizing organizations. I think if things here were more freely 'American' Ontarians would be far hipper.
In Beerum Veritas

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

esprit wrote:From the standpoint of an import agent, Western Ontario is a wasteland with two small exceptions. The Alex B. Keaton in London (580 Talbot St.) and the Marienbad in London (122 Carling St.) are both carrying an esoteric selection of our brews including Belgians and things like Rogue. Here it's an issue of the owners personally taking an interest in beer and offering products which would normally not be considered by most bar/restaurant owners. Again, anyone in these locales are encouraged to patronize these places and encourage their beer expermintation.
From the standpoint of a Londoner, I agree it's a wasteland.

I've only been to the Keaton a couple of times. Good selection, questionable service.

I haven't been to the Marienbad in over a year. They had some good imports on tap at that time. Great food too!

The UWO Grad club is actually really good. They've always had a few micros (at least for the last 8 years or so). A couple weeks ago they even had Blanche de Chambley on tap. Too bad I'm not on campus anymore.

Rockwater and the Waltzing Weasel are the only others with a decent selection.

mds

Post by mds »

Responsible Drinker wrote: Rockwater and the Waltzing Weasel are the only others with a decent selection.
What does the Waltzing Weasel have? When I went there (probably over a year ago) they just had regular Inbev stuff...

Rob Creighton
Bar Fly

Post by Rob Creighton »

Rockwater and the weazel are pretty much a waste of time. London does have a new micro pub known as The Round Tower in one of the hotels that is hoping to follow the Alex P. Keaton example. I haven't been yet so I don't know details yet.

I got a Phog (from Windsor) feel from the folks who are starting it and this is a good sign. The guys from Phog actually drive up to meet F&M and Wellington in London every couple of weeks Now that is devotion! We need more folks like this.