Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

New Arrivals at LCBO & TBS

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

distr0

Post by distr0 »

MatttthewGeorge wrote:No more Orval at Speedvale folks
damn. i didnt make it today. I work right downtown now so it's a little more out of the way to get to speedvale. stone rd is really lacking lately too.

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

distr0 wrote:
damn. i didnt make it today. I work right downtown now so it's a little more out of the way to get to speedvale. stone rd is really lacking lately too.
Beer guy said he ordered 3 more cases but followed with "we'll see if I get them"
I used to sell beer. Now I don't.

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

You bastard

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

distr0 wrote:

St Rd store is the closest one to me, but
It's really been sucking balls for the past year or so for the new releases. They'll get some stuff in, but nowhere near as much as they used to

mahcinesquad

Post by mahcinesquad »

sofakingdrunk wrote:
distr0 wrote:

St Rd store is the closest one to me, but
It's really been sucking balls for the past year or so for the new releases. They'll get some stuff in, but nowhere near as much as they used to
The Guelph BOs have been downright terrible for the past few years. I've all but given up on them.

GtownRandy

Post by GtownRandy »

S. St. Jeb wrote:NAUGHTY OTTER LAGER
LCBO 434399 | 473 mL can
Price $ 2.90
Made in: Ontario, Canada
By: Gananoque Brewing Company Ltd

I believe this has been in the LCBO in 6-pack bottles for some time, but it is now available in 473 ml cans.
Looks like there are some ratebeer shills for this beer. The last 10 raters all seemed to rate 10 beers in one day then rated Naughty Otter, so they would meet the minimum of 10 ratings to count. The average rating of these 10 shills was 4.19, for a beer with an average of 3.08

https://www.ratebeer.com/beer/gananoque ... er/159126/

entertainingly, one of the shills also rated Crazy Beard Apple Ale as a 5.0, which is on the same website as naughty otter https://iconicbrewing.co/

Masterplan
Bar Fly

Post by Masterplan »

GtownRandy wrote:
LCBO 434399 | 473 mL can
Price $ 2.90

I believe this has been in the LCBO in 6-pack bottles for some time, but it is now available in 473 ml cans.
Looks like there are some ratebeer shills for this beer. The last 10 raters all seemed to rate 10 beers in one day then rated Naughty Otter, so they would meet the minimum of 10 ratings to count. The average rating of these 10 shills was 4.19, for a beer with an average of 3.08

entertainingly, one of the shills also rated Crazy Beard Apple Ale as a 5.0, which is on the same website as naughty otter https://iconicbrewing.co/
I'd say 3.08 is generous for Naughty Otter. It is nothing to write home about.

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

GtownRandy wrote:
LCBO 434399 | 473 mL can
Price $ 2.90

When you can't/don't want to improve your beer, pay people to artificially inflate its ratings? I guess this is the next strategy in an ever increasingly crowded market. It's a shame if this is the case, but it certainly looks that way. In addition to the 10 reviews in a day, a lot of those RB users registered in the same general timeframe too. Sketchy.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

GtownRandy wrote:Looks like there are some ratebeer shills for this beer. The last 10 raters all seemed to rate 10 beers in one day then rated Naughty Otter, so they would meet the minimum of 10 ratings to count. The average rating of these 10 shills was 4.19, for a beer with an average of 3.08
A strategy that won't work, at least for long-term rating effect when real scores and weighted averaging comes into it. Just makes the original ratings look foolish and it harms the brewery's credibility.

I really wonder what fools any alleged fraudsters would be trying to impress? In any case - what if we gather a hundred of us, open ten or fifteen tallboy cans and all enter 'honest' ratings? :D I mean not that we have the time, but it would be funny. Don't try and mess with our 'reliable' ratings data!
In Beerum Veritas

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

new at TBS

Brygg Mastarens Organic
Can 500 ml Price: $2.55

Founders All Day IPA
Keg 58600 ml Price: $343.75

Honey Badger
Bottle 750 ml Price: $9.95

Phillips Short Wave Ale
Can 473 ml Price: $2.85

Phillips Bottle Rocket
Can 355 ml Price: $13.95

darmokandjalad

Post by darmokandjalad »

I don't even use ratebeer, but this is the sort of thing that rustles my jimmies enough to make me want to register and post an honest (/bad) review.

The only problem with that idea is that in order to make it an honest review, I'd have to buy another can of Naughty Otter, and Naughty Otter sucks. And as Belgian has already said, statistics doesn't really favour the "handful of shills" strategy in the first place, so it wouldn't be much more than a symbolic act of spite on my part.

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

Whaaaat

rfrf

Post by rfrf »

spinrsx wrote:Whaaaat

enjoy trying to drink an entire growler of that

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

Oh LCBO, you so crazy.

Napalm Frog

Post by Napalm Frog »

Looks like $16 for a growler (+ $5 deposit) according to pics on Untappd. It was a lovely beer, but super sweet. Best left as dessert... Not a growler for sure.