Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Cerezo from Unibroue and McAuslan Scotch Ale-Ottawa Report

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Lubiere

Cerezo from Unibroue and McAuslan Scotch Ale-Ottawa Report

Post by Lubiere »

For those in the region, or coming soon to our fair region:

Just tried the new Cerezo, the toned down version of Unibroue's Quelque Chose. It is available in Gatineau, at least at the Rapido on Front Street (Aylmer). It is a rather oversweetened version of QQchose, but it has the nice wooden notes and cherry pie characteristics of the later, a bit less sour. 8.99 for a 4 pack. Also saw the mix 12 pack from Unibroue.

Scotch ale from McAuslan is back. But ouch! 6.99 a bottle (like their barley wine). Bought some at Jovi in Hull, on Bégin. They also have the Liefmans Kriek and Frambozien, and in the future, Bieropholie's Azimut (with a store specific label: www.mondep.com).

A
Bar Fly

Post by A »

Does McAuslan still make (or even sell) the Vintage Ale barleywine? I'd love to get more of it if its still floating around (even in Quebec)

pootz
Beer Superstar

Post by pootz »

Got a scotch ale in the mail today will review it over the Xmas break.
Aventinus rules!

mds

Post by mds »

A wrote:Does McAuslan still make (or even sell) the Vintage Ale barleywine? I'd love to get more of it if its still floating around (even in Quebec)
They don't make it anymore but I was able to pick up the 2001 at Rahman on Laurier (near DDC) for $6.99 in September.

Beer Geek

Post by Beer Geek »

Does anyone know if the Scotch Ale would be worth aging (7.2%). I’m trying to get my brother to take a run over to Aylmer to pick some up for me.

iguenard
Seasoned Drinker

Post by iguenard »

Weren't they supposed to have some at La Trappe?

Last friday there was none, but it's listed in the McAuslan website (Though in Hull...).

I still haven't found myself a copy and cant wait to get my hands on it. I love the brewery.

pootz
Beer Superstar

Post by pootz »

Beer Geek wrote:Does anyone know if the Scotch Ale would be worth aging (7.2%). I’m trying to get my brother to take a run over to Aylmer to pick some up for me.
I don't know about the cellaring of this one. I have read reviews by people who had the first release a few years after and said it had gone acidic from oxidation ( no way to tell how it was stored or handled)

I also see one reviewer who got an oxidized bottle of the new release and was reimbursed with a new bottle from the brewery...for the price I will taste one first before I buy any to cellar or trade...also I think scotch ale (traditionally) is best fresh isn't it? ...I can't see aging it developing it any more complexity or rounding out sharp edges because scotch ale is pretty mellow/mild to start with.
Aventinus rules!

Lubiere

Post by Lubiere »

The Scotch Ale was at Marché Jovi on Bégin, in the Hull Sector.

Beer Geek

Post by Beer Geek »

iguenard wrote:Weren't they supposed to have some at La Trappe?

Last friday there was none, but it's listed in the McAuslan website (Though in Hull...).

I still haven't found myself a copy and cant wait to get my hands on it. I love the brewery.
The site also says that there is some at Dépanneur Rapido in Hull. But is this not in Aylmer? I’m so confused with this new amalgamation. Is Aylmer considered Hull now? Is Hull not Gatineau now?

As anyone ever been to Depanneur Rapido? Do they carry any Bierofolie? When I go home to Cornwall for the holidays I may head to Metro Joanette in Verdun, if my brother can't find anything good in Aylmer.

iguenard
Seasoned Drinker

Post by iguenard »

If it's not Ottawa, it's Gatineau.

Though dont tell that to someone in Hull, we still believe we live in Hull.

But I wouldnt write that on my pay checks....

Thanks for the tip Lubiere, I'll head there tonight and see what's left.

Lubiere

Post by Lubiere »

Rapido is on Front Street in Aylmer. They only carry the main mciros (Boreal, McAuslan and Unibroue) but their price can not be beat . Tell your bro to go to Jovi. They do carry the Bieropholie now.

inertiaboy
Bar Fly

Post by inertiaboy »

La Trappe a Fromage in Gatineau had the following 6-packs on Dec 30:
- Bieropholie Imperial Stout: $15.99 + $2.40 tax + $0.60 deposit = $18.99
- Bieropholie Cascade/Cascade Plus mix: $11.99 + $1.80 tax + $0.60 deposit = $14.39
- Bieropholie Calumet: $11.99 + $1.80 tax + $0.60 deposit = $14.39
- Bieropholie MacKroken Flower
- Bieropholie Bock Emissaire

I don't know the prices on the last two since I had my sister pick up only the first three. I had one of each on New Years Eve and enjoyed them all.

iguenard
Seasoned Drinker

Post by iguenard »

- Bieropholie MacKroken Flower , 15.99 $ at Trappe, 14.99 $ at Jovi
- Bieropholie Bock Emissaire, 11.99-13.99 $ at Trappe , 11.99 $ at Jovi (IIRC)
- Bieropholie Azimut, 13.99 $ at Jovi only