Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

New Arrivals at LCBO & TBS

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

BakaGaijin wrote:
Roland + Russell wrote:Hello everyone,

Hope you are all well! We just wanted to let you know that we are pleased to announce a Belgian Beer Discovery Box (6-pk) now at the LCBO#: 16688. It features beers from Boon, Brasserie Dupont and Het Anker. We are convinced you will enjoy the variety of beers from Belgium's top Family Brewers. The LCBO website is currently posting incorrect information about the sizes. They are as follows:

Boon Oude Geuze and Framboise (1 bottle of each they are 375 ml)
Brasserie Dupont Moinette Brune and Saison Dupont Cuvée Dry Hopping (1 bottle of each they are 330 ml)
Het Anker Gouden Carolus Tripel and Classic (1 bottle of each they are 330 ml)

Let us know how you like this and share with your friends. We are thrilled by the assortment and hope you will be too!

Best wishes to everyone!
Roland + Russell
Pretty neat box. Any chance LCBO can general list Saison Dupont?

Also, since no one seems to be bringing in Orval...can you please do it?!? It is another beer that should be general list at the LCBO.

Saison DuPont has bee general listed for about a year or so now.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

sofakingdrunk wrote:Saison DuPont has bee general listed for about a year or so now.
That one's a beaut.

If all I had to survive on for a year was Dupont (BE) and De La Meuse (Ont), those two Saisons cover a lot of ground for me.
In Beerum Veritas

JaseWescott

Post by JaseWescott »

new Nickel Brook Mystery Pack is out :D

https://www.lcbo.com/webapp/wcs/stores/ ... pack-17943

DougShoemaker

Post by DougShoemaker »

Roland & Russell, Thank You for bringing in this fantastic offering. Superb selection. I've appreciated the memorable beers You've brought us in the past. As BakaGaijin requested the Orval I would also love seeing this distinctive Trappist return if possible please.

Thanks again, all the best wishes for the Holiday Season. Cheers, Doug Shoemaker

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

DougShoemaker wrote:Roland & Russell, Thank You for bringing in this fantastic offering. Superb selection. I've appreciated the memorable beers You've brought us in the past. As BakaGaijin requested the Orval I would also love seeing this distinctive Trappist return if possible please.

Thanks again, all the best wishes for the Holiday Season. Cheers, Doug Shoemaker
I'm gonna chime in to third that request. Orval is one of my all time favourite beers and I would be a repeat (and repeat and repeat) purchaser if it made its way back here.

I picked up the Belgian Discovery Box as well, what a great selection of beers- I'm looking forward to trying them all.

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

seangm wrote:I picked up the Belgian Discovery Box as well, what a great selection of beers - I'm looking forward to trying them all.
I enjoyed trying the Saison Dupont Cuvée and Oude Geuze Boon for the first time. Both very good beers. The Gouden Carolus selections have been here many times before but I never get tired of either, so was glad to see them return as part of this box. The Framboise Boon didn't do much for me (too sweet for my liking), but I thought the Moinette Brune was a solid, above average Belgian Strong Dark Ale. Overall, a great package that is well worth purchasing IMO, especially since we rarely see multiple "new" Belgians available all at once.
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

dale cannon

Post by dale cannon »

Oskar Blues Old Chub 4 pack

Nice for the season
That's the way she goes. Sometimes she goes, sometimes it doesn't. She didn't go. That's the way she goes.

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

cratez wrote:
seangm wrote:I picked up the Belgian Discovery Box as well, what a great selection of beers - I'm looking forward to trying them all.
I enjoyed trying the Saison Dupont Cuvée and Oude Geuze Boon for the first time. Both very good beers. The Gouden Carolus selections have been here many times before but I never get tired of either, so was glad to see them return as part of this box. The Framboise Boon didn't do much for me (too sweet for my liking), but I thought the Moinette Brune was a solid, above average Belgian Strong Dark Ale. Overall, a great package that is well worth purchasing IMO, especially since we rarely see multiple "new" Belgians available all at once.
I think I've only had Gouden Carolus Ambrio before, so these are all new to me. The Dupont Cuvee is excellent, looking forward to the rest of these. Well worth the purchase.

walz22

Post by walz22 »

Roland + Russell wrote:Hello everyone,

Hope you are all well! We just wanted to let you know that we are pleased to announce a Belgian Beer Discovery Box (6-pk) now at the LCBO#: 16688. It features beers from Boon, Brasserie Dupont and Het Anker. We are convinced you will enjoy the variety of beers from Belgium's top Family Brewers. The LCBO website is currently posting incorrect information about the sizes. They are as follows:

Boon Oude Geuze and Framboise (1 bottle of each they are 375 ml)
Brasserie Dupont Moinette Brune and Saison Dupont Cuvée Dry Hopping (1 bottle of each they are 330 ml)
Het Anker Gouden Carolus Tripel and Classic (1 bottle of each they are 330 ml)

Let us know how you like this and share with your friends. We are thrilled by the assortment and hope you will be too!

Best wishes to everyone!
Roland + Russell
Curious, given the presence of Gouden Carolus beers in this box - are we ever going to see the Cuvée Van de Keizer Blauw/Imperial Dark again? I do miss that beer...

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

So I heard through the grapevine that Orval has shown up in the LCBO warehouse, but it's not listed yet. I haven't seen any news regarding the LCBO bringing it back, so curious if anyone else has heard anything about this? There's apparently 20k bottles, which seems like a lot for a private order.

If this turns out to be true I will most certainly be stocking up. Hopefully it sells quickly so the LCBO knows there's demand. I drank my last bottle in 2018 and I've been seriously missing this one.

portwood

Post by portwood »

seangm wrote:So I heard through the grapevine that Orval has shown up in the LCBO warehouse, but it's not listed yet. I haven't seen any news regarding the LCBO bringing it back, so curious if anyone else has heard anything about this? There's apparently 20k bottles, which seems like a lot for a private order.

If this turns out to be true I will most certainly be stocking up. Hopefully it sells quickly so the LCBO knows there's demand. I drank my last bottle in 2018 and I've been seriously missing this one.
Hope this is true
good opportunity to return the 10 bottles I've had in my cellar since ~2016 :lol:
@markhamwhisky

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

portwood wrote:
seangm wrote:So I heard through the grapevine that Orval has shown up in the LCBO warehouse, but it's not listed yet. I haven't seen any news regarding the LCBO bringing it back, so curious if anyone else has heard anything about this? There's apparently 20k bottles, which seems like a lot for a private order.

Hope this is true
good opportunity to return the 10 bottles I've had in my cellar since ~2016 :lol:
why not sell or trade them if you dont want them?

returning them will only lead to them being destroyed instead of enjoyed

beerstodiscover
Bar Fly

Post by beerstodiscover »

seangm wrote:So I heard through the grapevine that Orval has shown up in the LCBO warehouse, but it's not listed yet.
Don't let me down grapevine!

I have a few bottles cellared, bottled around 2013-2016. Though I suspect they are past their prime, It would be interesting to compare them to a new batch. I recall previous shipments to the LCBO would arrive with 8-10 months after bottling. I've always wanted to try super fresh Orval.

Cadbury102

Post by Cadbury102 »

beerstodiscover wrote:
seangm wrote:So I heard through the grapevine that Orval has shown up in the LCBO warehouse, but it's not listed yet.

I have a few bottles cellared, bottled around 2013-2016. Though I suspect they are past their prime, It would be interesting to compare them to a new batch. I recall previous shipments to the LCBO would arrive with 8-10 months after bottling. I've always wanted to try super fresh Orval.
I was at a cafe in Bruges a year or two ago - Red Rose Cafe - that had Orval in their cellar from 2010 which I tried, and it was still stellar. I have some in my personal cellar too, bottled in 2014. I had it this past summer and also excellent. I think that there's essentially no BBD for Orval, though the oldest one I've had is that 8 year old one.

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

beerstodiscover wrote:

Yea if we get it really fresh that'd be icing on the cake. I've had a bottle up to 4 years old and it was still great, taking on some almost sherry-like notes. I think they give it 5 years BB so I imagine the 2013s still have some life in them.

I really hope what I heard pans out otherwise I owe everyone here an apology!